Author Topic: Weird features spotted while house hunting  (Read 91341 times)

Syfygeek

Re: Weird features spotted while house hunting
« Reply #555 on: August 23, 2013, 06:14:11 PM »
My very first apartment was in an old house that had been divided- 2 apartments downstairs and one upstairs.

Mine was one of the one downstairs- rooms were in one long row, to get to the bathroom from the kitchen, you had to go thru the bedroom. but the living room was accessed from the bathroom. And every room except the bathroom had a door that opened into the communal hallway and could be opened with the same skeleton key. I spent many nights double checking that all the doors were locked.

That's my purse! I don't know you!

norrina

« Reply #556 on: September 01, 2013, 11:47:06 AM »
Back in '99/'00, then-husband and I were looking for a place to rent, but being young and still in college, our budget was pretty tight. We went to see one place that was a single-wide trailer out in the country. It was on some very nice acreage, and had a large deck, so the outdoor space was fabulous and I was in love. When we went inside though, the trailer appeared to be from the 60s. My favorite feature was the master "bathroom". You went into the master bedroom, and towards the far end of the bedroom was a platform, covered in shag carpeting. The garden tub was sunk into the platform. Off to the right was the his and hers sinks. Then straight back was a little cubby, with saloon doors, housing the toilet. I could have dealt with the sinks in the bedroom, but the un-enclosed toilet was a little icky, and then the tub sunk into the shag carpeting was absolutely a no-go.

jmarvellous

« Reply #557 on: September 01, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »
We have already "house hunted," I suppose, but it sure was weird when a light switch and outlet suddenly appeared on our bathroom wall on Friday! I had not been home much that day, but my husband certainly had been to the bathroom several times and hadn't noticed a thing.

We are renting, and we'd complained that the vanity lights (over the mirror) were working, but the overhead light and the single bathroom outlet were not. Suddenly, there's a new switch to control the vanity lights, the old switch controls the now-working overhead light, and the new plugs are nice, actually fit things, and have a reset button. I'm happy but rather put off at the same time by the maintenance crew not telling us they were coming, or that they came.

We also had a spontaneously operating French door a week ago -- its hinges had been broken on one side, but one day I pushed the door by accident and it didn't almost fall off!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #558 on: September 14, 2013, 05:55:38 PM »
I assume there's a toilet behind the curtain in this rental space. I cracked up at "A dividing wall between the bathroom and main living area could be a nice addition for tenants seeking privacy." As opposed to, I guess, "Gee, Bob, this is a great space. But there's a wall blocking the view between the bathroom and the kitchen table. And gosh darn it, I like knowing I can see your buddy Fred on the john out of the corner of my eye...."

http://homes.yahoo.com/photos/yahoo-homes-of-the-week-homes-for-sale-with-added-rent-potential-1379092060-slideshow/yahoo-homes-of-the-week-homes-for-sale-with-added-rent-potential-photo-1379091453070.html

http://homes.yahoo.com/photos/yahoo-homes-of-the-week-homes-for-sale-with-added-rent-potential-1379092060-slideshow/yahoo-homes-of-the-week-homes-for-sale-with-added-rent-potential-photo-1379091453036.html

http://homes.yahoo.com/photos/yahoo-homes-of-the-week-homes-for-sale-with-added-rent-potential-1379092060-slideshow/yahoo-homes-of-the-week-homes-for-sale-with-added-rent-potential-photo-1379091452984.html

JoW

« Reply #559 on: September 14, 2013, 08:05:08 PM »
Some older, smaller homes have, instead of bedroom doors, wall-mounted folding screens. The folds to about 4" wide and 2" thick.  (5 cm x 2 cm). In my grandparents' house the kids bedrooms had them.  DH's grandmother's house had them, too.

In the house I'm in now the laundry room and one bath room are in one long narrow space.  That sort of screen separates a bathroom from the laundry area.  That might be a good idea, someone could use the toilet while someone else was loading the washing machine.  But in my house you walk through the bathroom area to get to the laundry. I've never closed that screen.

lilfox

« Reply #560 on: September 16, 2013, 04:35:33 PM »
Weird features in a house I shared with grad school roommates (I moved in as the third roommate):  the house was built in the early 1900s.  Over the years, previous owners had put up their choice of paint and/or wallpaper without removing the previous - the wallpaper while I was there was probably 3 decades old so where it peeled off, it exposed multiple layers underneath it.

We think the upstairs bathroom was a later addition - it was tiny and had the accordion folding door rather than a solid one - it did not fold very well, either.  The sink also had two separate spigots for hot and cold (the hot was boiling, the cold was icy), separated by 3 or so inches, so getting lukewarm water was not an option.

In addition to those charming features and the peeling/rotting wood front porch, the existing housemates were not domestically inclined, so the floors had tumbleweeds of dog fur while the ceiling corners had pretty substantial cobwebs.  They had lived there for a year already and while each owned a dog, neither owned a vacuum.  My parents were aghast that I was going to live there and wanted me to back out of my agreement.  I told them for the kind of low rent deal I got, I was fine with it.  After all, I did have a vacuum.   :P

Xandraea

« Reply #561 on: September 17, 2013, 12:54:10 AM »
This house has an odd bathroom. There's a floor level window in the shower. 

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2013/05/16/greathomesanddestinations/20130516-LOCATION.html?ref=realestate&_r=0#4

The floor-to-ceiling window is within the bathroom though. The window to outside is long, narrow, and high-up on the wall. It appears this is a house for a couple, so privacy in the shower isn't necessary.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #562 on: September 17, 2013, 11:24:35 AM »
I don't find the glass shower enclosure odd. It is very common here. After all, the main function is to keep water in the shower. Anyone who is in the bathroom while I am showering will have seen everything there is to see before.

Ereine

« Reply #563 on: September 17, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2013/05/16/greathomesanddestinations/20130516-LOCATION.html?ref=realestate&_r=0#4

The floor-to-ceiling window is within the bathroom though. The window to outside is long, narrow, and high-up on the wall. It appears this is a house for a couple, so privacy in the shower isn't necessary.

There's another very low window. I don't know if you can see anything but legs of the people in the shower.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #564 on: September 17, 2013, 11:59:02 AM »
I hadn't seen that!

My parents had a gorgeous house on a beachfront lot, where you could step off the property straight on the beach. The main bathroom faced the beach and had a chest high window. My father had it built that way so you could stand under the shower and lean on the window sill, looking out over the beach but have all relevant parts covered by the wall. It was great!

Xandraea

« Reply #565 on: September 17, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »

There's another very low window. I don't know if you can see anything but legs of the people in the shower.

Oh, I'd missed that one, kind of hiding behind the counter from this view.  Nice to have light, sure, but that placement is odd.