Author Topic: S/O Aspergers - autistic student - UPDATE: I give up  (Read 29339 times)

Nora

Re: S/O Aspergers - autistic student - UPDATE: Oh, for the love of...
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2011, 09:45:21 AM »
So sad.  :(
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
This poor man. Why can't his family help him find something within his abilities that he can enjoy and be proud of? I can't begin to imagine looking at my child and seeing nothing but how they contribute to the image I'm trying to maintain.  :(

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »
Oh dear.

Well it sounds like he's happy enough sitting around and twiddling his thumbs. But he's clearly not getting anything from the course. I hope for his sake that his family comes to their senses and steers him into other things.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2011, 02:15:15 PM »
So admin met with him, heard from family, and did not inform all instructors who would be working with the student?  What were they thinking?

shadowfox79

« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2011, 02:24:49 PM »
Admin didn't meet them - I'm admin. It was senior management and the course leader, and I have no idea why they didn't pass it on, but I don't have the authority.

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2011, 04:26:12 PM »
what I meant was senior administration, management, I remembered they had been involved earlier

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2011, 09:28:59 PM »
We just had an email from another of his module tutors, who incidentally doesn't know Nazir is autistic - I'm not sure why this wasn't made known to the tutors but it's not my place to do it.

Apparently he isn't engaging in the module at all - she had a one-to-one meeting with him and he clearly has no idea what he's doing. He also admitted he didn't know why he was doing the course, and hasn't even started the assignment that is due next week (he was supposed to put in a draft this week). She mentioned that he spends the class sitting "smiling to himself" and that a couple of the students had told her they thought he was "special".  >:(

I've made the course leader aware of it, but this is just terrible. I'm actually feeling sorry for him.

It makes you wonder what the family really wants, besides the diploma.  From what you've said, is there any expectation that this student, in the future, would be able to live on his own  - even without the income from a job?

shadowfox79

« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2011, 01:57:30 AM »

It makes you wonder what the family really wants, besides the diploma.  From what you've said, is there any expectation that this student, in the future, would be able to live on his own  - even without the income from a job?

I'd have said no, but then if his family think he can get this degree, maybe they also think he can live on his own.

shadowfox79

Re: S/O Aspergers - autistic student - UPDATE: I give up
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2012, 04:31:05 AM »
We're getting the marks back from the semester one exams now.

I received a phone call from a woman who runs a module in, shall we say, Statistics. It is a module on Nazir's course, but not one he'll have done yet - he'll be doing it in semester two. She had found an answer book with "Marketing" written on the cover instead of Statistics and had looked into the situation.

Turns out that Nazir, apparently under the impression that he was at his Marketing exam (which wasn't even on the same day), showed up to the Statistics exam instead. He missed the fact that it said Statistics on the paper, missed the announcement at the start of the exam welcoming students to the Statistics exam, and sat there for two and a half hours attempting one question. He never made it to the Marketing exam.

I don't even want to know what his family are going to make of that. I'm leaving it to the course leader to sort out.

Nora

« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2012, 04:35:19 AM »
I hope they get it after this, but I doubt it.  :-\
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2012, 06:06:09 AM »
I hope they get it after this, but I doubt it.  :-\

This...and highly doubt it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2012, 08:13:22 AM »
Oh... My. What can you say at this point? It is worse than watching a train wreck.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2012, 12:27:12 PM »
I don't suppose you could just suggest the buy him a degree from a degree mill?

ChiGirl

« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2012, 05:51:57 PM »
Wow.  I wonder if he's engaging in passive resistance: "my family can make me go to grad school, but they can't make me try!"

shadowfox79

« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2012, 10:44:41 AM »
They're probably going to claim we should have frogmarched him to every one of his exams. Although how we can be expected to prevent him showing up for an exam he wasn't even due to take is beyond me.

I'm expecting hell as soon as they get his semester one marks, which are likely to be a collection of fails and non-submissions.