Author Topic: S/O Aspergers - autistic student - UPDATE: I give up  (Read 26833 times)

Amara

Re: S/O Aspergers - autistic student - UPDATE: I give up
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2012, 12:45:31 PM »
Thank goodness it's only temporary, OP. It doesn't make it any better, but at some point he'll be out of there (unless *shudder* his family gets him a job there after he "graduates"). Then it's someone else's problem. His family is doing him no favors and I am thinking it will come back to bite them.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2013, 02:29:14 PM »
OP, has this ever been resolved?
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

shadowfox79

« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2013, 02:46:32 AM »
I'm in a different office now, but I did check up on this student.

He was removed from the course late last year after having failed everything and only completed reassessments for about half (which he also failed).

eltf177

« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2013, 08:46:36 AM »
Was there any fallout from the family?

shadowfox79

« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »
None that I'm aware of. The administrator who took over was asking me for guidance for quite a long time afterwards and it never came up. I'm guessing they finally accepted that it wasn't happening.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2013, 10:28:18 AM »
Glad there was no fallout. I'm sorry for Nazir, as well as the people dealing with him- and his family!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2013, 05:06:29 PM »
Well, perhaps (I say as an eternal optimist) his family realized that trying to force Nazir into a particular slot that he wasn't suited for was a bad idea, and will try to find him something that he *will* be comfortable with. They certainly seem to have both personal will and financial resources that could be used for good, if they choose to do so.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

shadowfox79

« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2013, 05:39:25 AM »
Well, perhaps (I say as an eternal optimist) his family realized that trying to force Nazir into a particular slot that he wasn't suited for was a bad idea, and will try to find him something that he *will* be comfortable with. They certainly seem to have both personal will and financial resources that could be used for good, if they choose to do so.

I hope so. When I left the office, the situation had become ridiculous - his disability helper was basically doing all the work for him and was having to drive him to his exams to make sure he got there. We had also noticed that his family were dropping him off every morning with no reference to his timetable, so most days he spent just wandering around the building if he didn't have a class. I only hope they haven't simply dumped him at a different university.