Author Topic: BBQ - in Europe?  (Read 4481 times)

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
BBQ - in Europe?
« on: September 12, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »
I was wondering if the American summertime tradition of setting up a grill and flame-broiling a bunch of meat happens in Europe. There are Asian countries who BBQ, but I don't recall ever hearing of, say, an English cookout or a German bratwurst hoedown or whatever. BBQs: yes or no?

Nibsey

Re: BBQ - in Europe?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 03:37:34 PM »
I was wondering if the American summertime tradition of setting up a grill and flame-broiling a bunch of meat happens in Europe. There are Asian countries who BBQ, but I don't recall ever hearing of, say, an English cookout or a German bratwurst hoedown or whatever. BBQs: yes or no?

(Ireland)

Yes but then you generally have to go back inside to eat because even though the sun may be splitting the stones when your start, the heavens will open as soon as your finished cooking.  >:(

As soon as the weather gets good the whole neighbour starts grilling you can smell it for miles.  :D lol

It's generally burgers, sausages for hotdogs or steak and salad.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »
(UK)

Exactly what Nibsey said. :)

Especially regarding the weather. ::)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:53:32 PM »
UK as well.

I didn't seen BBQ at all when I was a child (30 years ago) but it is more popular now. When it isn't raining that is...

I think there may be more of a tradition of BBQ as street food in some European countries though. I've seen it with sausages and cutlets in Germany.
NE England

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 06:21:34 AM »
Denmark as well.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 06:48:07 AM »
Germans definately grill a LOT during the summer. Various kinds of sausages (Bratwurst, Krakauer and so on), meat (pork and chicken seem to be the most popular) and fish or veggies. Eat outside, too, as long as the weather permits.
In fact, pretty much every year for DH's birthday, we grill with the ILs (this year, we took them out for dinner).

Grilled food as street food... well, every single street festival in Germany just HAS to have bratwurst  ;D. And there often are "Wurstbuden" (sausage stands) in town centers or on store parking lots and that kind of places.

Back home in Finland, people grill a lot, too. Especially when at their summer cottages.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:12:23 AM by magdalena »

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 07:34:29 AM »
Definitely. In the UK we went to few barbecues this summer and host one every year at the end of August.

In Finland when we visit in June/July, if the weather holds out, we never cook indoors. It's all done in my parent's garden on the grill.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

squashedfrog

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 08:10:47 AM »
UK, but I usually find this is a social occasion with lots to drink rather than an off the cuff thing.  These things need planning ahead in England, and even then there is no chance it won't rain even if its supposed to be a heatwave.   

marcel

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 08:50:17 AM »
In The Netehrlands barbecue is very popular, though completely different from the US.

There will usually be at least 4 different types of meat, in smaller portions, so people can take several pieces of meat.
Typical meats are: bratwurst, hamburger, sate (satay?), shaslick, chicken legs, fish,....
This is accompanied by various salads, french bread and various sauces. In sauces, I think that especially the peanutsauce is typical for the Dutch to have at a barbecue (Though there will usually also be barbecue, garlic, whicky and other sauces.)

Sometimes there is one person doing the grilling, especially at bigger parties. but it is just as common for everybody to grill their own meat. This means that a lot of the socializing takes places standing around the barbecue.
Often the one person doing the grilling is also spontaneous. Especially at bigger parties it is common to have one griller.

Specifically very popular in The Netherlands is satay with peanut sauce (The latter often being called satay sauce here.) At fairs etc. there will often be stands with a grill selling satay.
I still have good memories of the satay parties that my bar I visited in my highschool years held 2/3 times a year. I was usually grilling there, and that meant 4/5 hours behind a 1 meter long real (charcoal) grill. (Once during a heat wave)
Wherever you go..... There you are.

bigozzy

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 09:45:39 AM »

Becoming increasingly popular even here in Scotland. Big beast bbq's are wheeled out for sale whenever there is a touch of Spring in the air but I don't know how often they are used after that.

As an Australian living here I have two in my garden (gas and charcoal) and a nifty portable one for outings that are used in all kinds of weather all year round. I cooked most of a Christmas dinner on one once, just brushed the snow off and away I went.

Very popular here in summer months are these instant bbq's you can buy in supermarkets. Just take off the wrapping and apply a match and away you go.

I hate them because they are often used irresponsibly, lots of burnt squares in the parks where people leave them on the ground and some folk just leave the whole mess for others to tidy up or step on.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 11:53:14 AM »
The French cook out a lot too. Those who live in apartments sometimes have a grill set up on their balcony. The French grill the usual : pork chops, burgers, steaks, sausages (chipolatas and the deliciously spicy merguez from North Africa). Kabobs are a popular way of grilling too. For large parties, some will roast a whole pig or sheep (sheep-roasting is called a méchoui, also from North Africa).

Most French people use a gas or electrical grill but the latest fad is the planxa, a type of griddle from Catalunya.

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 02:06:20 PM »
This has been very interesting! BBQing seems so fundamentally "American" to me that it was hard to imagine other countries doing it, but they do. Oh, another question: what kind of sauces do you all use? Here, there's a strong regional factor in BBQ sauce, like there's a thin, vinegary South Carolinian sauce, and a thick, sweet Memphis sauce, and so on. I think the default BBQ sauce is the sweet or hot tomatoey kind, though. That's what is most easily found and commonly used.

Specifically very popular in The Netherlands is satay with peanut sauce (The latter often being called satay sauce here.) At fairs etc. there will often be stands with a grill selling satay.
I still have good memories of the satay parties that my bar I visited in my highschool years held 2/3 times a year. I was usually grilling there, and that meant 4/5 hours behind a 1 meter long real (charcoal) grill. (Once during a heat wave)

Is that an Indonesian influence? I seem to recall a connection between Dutch and Indonesian food. I would love BBQ peanut satay, incidentally.

marcel

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »

Is that an Indonesian influence? I seem to recall a connection between Dutch and Indonesian food. I would love BBQ peanut satay, incidentally.
It is. Indonesia was a Dutch colony. Indonesian was the first major foreign influence in Dutch cooking. Most Chinese restaurant in The Netherlands are Chinese Indonesian restaurants with a combination of both cuisines (dumbed down for the Dutch palate :( )
Wherever you go..... There you are.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 03:21:42 AM »
In Israel (i know we're not in europe but i thought this is an interesting discussion):

very popular on holidays and in the summer. from approximately passover, thru independence day, summer, then high holidays (in sept/oct). in your backyard, on your balcony , in every public park, beach etc.

foods served are usually: tons of chicken hot dogs, chicken wings, kebab or hamburger, skewers of meat/chicken/turkey with veg, chicken breast and/or boneless/skinless chicken thighs. sometimes steak but that is less common. marinades are usually meditarranean (olive oil, herbs, garlic, lemon) or sweet chili, or sometimes "chinese" or thai

many people will also roast veg at the same time - eggplant (usually roasted whole, then cut open and pour tahini sauce over), onion, tomato, mushroom, etc

sides: pickles, olives, hummus, fresh chopped tomato/cucumber. sometimes more salads. and of course pita.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 03:59:54 AM »
(Ireland)

Tomato ketchup is probably the most used sauce with BBQ. Though Mayo is popular too.

DH often makes his own marinade (chicken skewers yum)

BBQ sauce normally is shop bought. It's thick, sticky, sweet and brown in colour. There may be tomato in them, but they're not tomato in flavour.
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol