I don't know how many are students or still in school, but I'm growing concerned over the growing trend of etiquette faux pas or basic lack of manners. This is also my first post (after being a longtime reader and fan) so hopefully many can understand where this is coming from.
1. Most of our lecture classes are full to the brim, I'm talking a good 100+ students in their seats. Each class is separated to end 10 minutes before the next lecture is to start in that class, so you would think we will be able to exit the class safely and have time to spare to walk to our next class. I have noticed lately that when my classmates and I are trying to leave our class, the next wave of students pummel through to get their favorite seats (which are still occupied, I mean the lecture just ended). Is it rude to tell these students to please wait for us to fully exit the one door that we have so we are not trapped while they try to run in? They have a good ten minutes before their class begins, and we cannot go anywhere while they squeeze through the door and try to find empty seats that are still occupied. I have seen several frustrated people yell "Move!" or "Let us through, THEN come in!" and nothing works.
2. In the computer labs I have noticed, as well, that when I am occupied on a desktop working on homework or doing a test I am asked to move because someone has an important e-mail, FB post, or whatever to check. I usually stare and wait for them to figure it out. Computer labs on campus are for academic purposes, wait for after hours to check FB or bring your own laptop. (I am typing this from my own laptop)
3. I also receive e-mails from students requesting someone to make a scanned copy of a homework page in the textbook and send it to them. I totally understand if you're hurting for cash and can't afford the book, but that's why the teachers reserve one in the library that cannot be checked out so it's always there. I send them this information and they are upset I'm not taking my time to copy and send the page to them. Rude?
4. You need headphones for that blasting ipod. Why is it even on? You're in class.
5. Anyone experience a parking lot "vulture"? A person who just parks their car and waits for someone to get out of class and take their space. I wouldn't have a problem with this except our parking lots are one way. I cannot go around you and now someone has pulled up behind me, great, I'm trapped. Thanks vulture.
I may have more. I can't think of any at the present time but I usually discover random incidents during the day or week that make me wonder: bad manners, etiquette faux pas, or just me?