Author Topic: University Etiquette  (Read 30685 times)

bookworm317

• Proud child of the 80's
Re: University Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 09:15:48 PM »
When you have a class that meets 2X a week for an hour and 15 minutes, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT come waltzing in to class when there's only 20 minutes left!

On test day(as well as EVERY other class period), COME PREPARED!!!! Do not go around asking OTHER people for a writing implement.

I observed this behavior from the moron I call 'Jo-Jo the oblivious idiot' several years ago. He still makes me slightly stabby.

kitty-cat

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 09:16:58 PM »
I'm paying to hear the professor speak, not your stupid comments. (there's this kid in my social psych class who does this every.single.class.)

NE Florida

Solanna Dryden

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 10:29:14 PM »
It's great that you're a mom/wife. It really is. But don't take up valuable class time telling the class and professor ten minute long stories about your husband or kids. Particularly if it's only tangentially related to the discussion at hand.

Double double agreeing with don't talk in class. Especially if it's a tiny class!

This is more for small classes, but don't speak out of turn! There's this girl in my Greek class who can't stop doing this. We're supposed to go around the room and one by one say a letter of the Greek alphabet and it's sound, and without fail this girl would YELL it out from the front seat. And she would laugh REALLY REALLY loud at the prof's mildly funny jokes. (To be fair to this girl, I suspect she may have Aspergers or something similar, but still, she shouldn't be doing it!)
Honey badger don't care. YOLO

TeamBhakta

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »
It's great that you're a mom/wife. It really is. But don't take up valuable class time telling the class and professor ten minute long stories about your husband or kids. Particularly if it's only tangentially elated to the discussion at hand.

And don't introduce yourself or ask for help with "I'm a mom. I went to school back in the ice age, so excuse my dumb mom forgetfulness. I'm a little slow lol." The most annoying one was, and I quote her on this, "Hi, I'm Patty. Been out of school for a bit. I'm just a bit of a dummy mom. Please be patient with me." I don't know why people do that. I find it very grating to hear. I've heard some variant at every college I've been to. Really, just stick with "Hi, I'm Shelby, majoring in (whatever subject)" or "Could you help me with this assignment ? It's unclear to me."  ::)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 03:03:37 PM by TeamBhakta »

audrey1962

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »
If all of the students in class must give a final-term presentation, don't skip all of the presentations before yours.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 04:53:10 PM »
It's great that you're a mom/wife. It really is. But don't take up valuable class time telling the class and professor ten minute long stories about your husband or kids. Particularly if it's only tangentially elated to the discussion at hand.

And don't introduce yourself or for help with "I'm a mom. I went to school back in the ice age, so excuse my dumb mom forgetfulness. I'm a little slow lol." The most annoying one was, and I quote her on this, "Hi, I'm Patty. Been out of school for a bit. I'm just a bit of a dummy mom. Please be patient with me." I don't know why people do that. I find it very grating to hear. I've heard some variant at every college I've been to. Really, just stick with "Hi, I'm Shelby, majoring in (whatever subject)" or "Could you help me with this assignment ? It's unclear to me."  ::)

Slightly related, I'm currently taking an online course where our first assignment was to engage in a "snowball discussion", where we were to introduce ourselves, state our majors and a little bit about ourselves. I guess the teacher figured it would build a better sense of community, which is important in this class because much of the work is group-related. Anyhow, cue 12 out of 15 people starting off with something like: "Hi, I'm Casey and I've been married for two years. My hubby is the best ever. He's the leader of our Community Watch and he works at a bank." or "I'm Jen and I'm a proud mamma to two beautiful little girls. Their names are Kayla and Brianna and their favorite color is pink. I'm taking this class online because they are my world and I can't leave them for a second. They're so excited to help mommy with her homework!:) :)"

Seriously, "Casey", that's nice and all, but who are you? What are you majoring in? How about you, "Jen"? I'm sure your girls are delightful, but I'm not going to be partnering with them for the midterm report.
Utah

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 06:04:25 PM »
If you are an undergrad and taking a huge lecture course that has several teaching assistants--it might be useful to find out which teaching assistant you are assigned to. Skipping all the discussion sections held by that TA could prove embarrassing the day of the mid-term when the professor announces, "Here's the exam. When you are done, hand it in to your TA," and leaves the room.

Then the TAs get to sit on the edge of the stage at the front of the lecture hall, betting on who will have the most students come up and ask, "Are you my TA?"
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Miriam

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 11:35:42 AM »

And don't introduce yourself or for help with "I'm a mom. I went to school back in the ice age, so excuse my dumb mom forgetfulness. I'm a little slow lol." The most annoying one was, and I quote her on this, "Hi, I'm Patty. Been out of school for a bit. I'm just a bit of a dummy mom. Please be patient with me." I don't know why people do that. I find it very grating to hear. I've heard some variant at every college I've been to. Really, just stick with "Hi, I'm Shelby, majoring in (whatever subject)" or "Could you help me with this assignment ? It's unclear to me."  ::)

Slightly related, I'm currently taking an online course where our first assignment was to engage in a "snowball discussion", where we were to introduce ourselves, state our majors and a little bit about ourselves. I guess the teacher figured it would build a better sense of community, which is important in this class because much of the work is group-related. Anyhow, cue 12 out of 15 people starting off with something like: "Hi, I'm Casey and I've been married for two years. My hubby is the best ever. He's the leader of our Community Watch and he works at a bank." or "I'm Jen and I'm a proud mamma to two beautiful little girls. Their names are Kayla and Brianna and their favorite color is pink. I'm taking this class online because they are my world and I can't leave them for a second. They're so excited to help mommy with her homework!:) :)"

Seriously, "Casey", that's nice and all, but who are you? What are you majoring in? How about you, "Jen"? I'm sure your girls are delightful, but I'm not going to be partnering with them for the midterm report.

Right! I feel bad because I'm 21 and all these students have children, who sound wonderful, but when it's my turn it's "Hi. I'm Miriam and Jimmy Buffet is my hero." Oh gosh I just sound like a crazy partier while everyone is at home nurturing their precious children.
"All Was Well"

Miriam

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 02:44:27 PM »
Also, I just left the computer lab. I had to wait 30 minutes to print out 3 pages because the one printer was busy printing out a freakin' textbook or something for one person. The limit of printed pages is 20, so I don't know how she got away printing off two inches of stacked paper. Everyone in the lab was upset and late to their next class but she offered no apologies other than "I didn't know it would take so long!" Really? Printing off 500 pages didn't shock you or help you understand it would be inconsiderate to print it all at once?
"All Was Well"

BeagleMommy

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 03:08:54 PM »
I work at a university so here are some of my peeves.

You are now considered an adult.  If you are told a class is full and no more "pink slips" are allowed don't have Mommy or Daddy call the big mean secretary to try to get you into the elective you had six months to consider.

If you have an outstanding balance you are not allowed into any other classes.  This isn't my rule, it's the rule of the university.

If you have a problem with a class, your first point of contact is your advisor.  You will not be able to talk to the chair of the department unless you go through your advisor first.

Just because college students have mercurial hours doesn't mean the office staff is at your beck and call.  If you call me at 6:40 pm on a Friday, sorry I went home at 4:30.  The hours are clearly stated on the answering machine.  Don't get nasty when I return your call the next business day.

Internships cannot be done online (I actually had a student ask this)

snowdragon

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »

This, so this. Especially in terms of on campus classes, you class mates are not there  to provide ANYTHING for your kid, so if babysitting falls through stay home, don't take a seat away from an actual student in an overcrowded classroom, don't ask them to "share" resources" or ask that they participate in a class they could not possibly have been admitted to - no, it does not matter if he has something to say, relevant or not. We paid for the class, you child didn't - he does not have any place participating or insinuating himself into the class. 

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 07:32:43 PM »
Internships cannot be done online (I actually had a student ask this)

Ow. Really, that had to take a brain stretch to think that that was okay. Out of curiosity, what would've been the internship material?

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Mopsy428

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
20) Don't just all get up and leave EXACTLY when class ends. I'm in a freshman level lecture hall (last gen ed!) and at exactly 5:45 they all start getting up and leaving. I'm in an upper level business lecture hall and everyone waits until the professor dismisses us.

When I was in college, I often had classes that were 10 minutes apart. Sometimes, these classes were in different buildings, which required at least a 5 minute walk (and that's when I was hustling.) So, if Professor Jones is going over the class time with no end in sight, then yes, I would have gotten up and left if I had another class. The class ends at a certain time for a reason. When you have to go to another class, you have to go.

Mopsy428

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 09:05:28 PM »
-Even if you live off of campus, you still have to abide by the noise ordinances and laws. You are not entitled to be loud and obnoxious at all hours of the night just because you are in university and are "living it up".

(Two people next to me got evicted because they were loud and refused to be quiet. When I would file complaints at the office, the manager would tell me not to confront these people (not that I would) because they could be aggressive, and they thought they were entitled to blast music all the time because they were university students. Then I saw a letter in our university paper saying that the "old fogies" need to chill out and accept that if they live near the university, students are going to be loud, drunk, and obnoxious all throughout the night.  ::) )

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 09:33:13 PM »
-Even if you live off of campus, you still have to abide by the noise ordinances and laws. You are not entitled to be loud and obnoxious at all hours of the night just because you are in university and are "living it up".

(Two people next to me got evicted because they were loud and refused to be quiet. When I would file complaints at the office, the manager would tell me not to confront these people (not that I would) because they could be aggressive, and they thought they were entitled to blast music all the time because they were university students. Then I saw a letter in our university paper saying that the "old fogies" need to chill out and accept that if they live near the university, students are going to be loud, drunk, and obnoxious all throughout the night.  ::) )

Um...I'm still a university student, and I wouldn't tolerate that without complaint. And I wouldn't have been any happier about it when I was an undergrad.

20) Don't just all get up and leave EXACTLY when class ends. I'm in a freshman level lecture hall (last gen ed!) and at exactly 5:45 they all start getting up and leaving. I'm in an upper level business lecture hall and everyone waits until the professor dismisses us.

When I was in college, I often had classes that were 10 minutes apart. Sometimes, these classes were in different buildings, which required at least a 5 minute walk (and that's when I was hustling.) So, if Professor Jones is going over the class time with no end in sight, then yes, I would have gotten up and left if I had another class. The class ends at a certain time for a reason. When you have to go to another class, you have to go.

I agree; there's nothing rude about leaving quietly when classtime is over, even if the professor hasn't ended class yet. There are plenty of valid reasons why someone might need to leave promptly (whether that's getting to another class/appointment, or that you desperately need to use the restroom and have no idea how long the prof. is going to keep going). Also, even if you don't have a pressing need to leave on time, if a professor routinely refuses to respect the class ending time (showing a blatant disregard for the value of his students' time), I don't see anything wrong with deciding that you're going to leave at the end of the scheduled class period, as long as you don't disrupt the other students more than necessary as you leave.