Author Topic: University Etiquette  (Read 32786 times)

kitty-cat

Re: University Etiquette
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 09:51:19 PM »
20) Don't just all get up and leave EXACTLY when class ends. I'm in a freshman level lecture hall (last gen ed!) and at exactly 5:45 they all start getting up and leaving. I'm in an upper level business lecture hall and everyone waits until the professor dismisses us.

When I was in college, I often had classes that were 10 minutes apart. Sometimes, these classes were in different buildings, which required at least a 5 minute walk (and that's when I was hustling.) So, if Professor Jones is going over the class time with no end in sight, then yes, I would have gotten up and left if I had another class. The class ends at a certain time for a reason. When you have to go to another class, you have to go.

They aren't quiet though. At *exactly* 5:45, sometimes even before that they all stand up and leave talking and chatting. My professor has never gone over time either- she teaches up to time, but she has never been more than 30 seconds late.

I have had classes close together in the past, but I've never left class early to go to another one. I might not get the exact seat I want, but I don't disrespect one teacher to please another. (and I want that last little bit of information too! I can't hear it over the masses leaving the hall)

NE Florida

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
I just graduated in May, but I can think of a few things. :)

With our computer labs, it differed. The one in the Rendezvous was big and open, and it was definitely first-come, first-served. You could do whatever you wanted on the computer, basically. The one in the library and the ones in some of the classroom buildings however were supposed to be focused on schoolwork. I'm not sure what anyone could do if you didn't, however. ??? Also, a lot of the labs in the classroom buildings were reserved for classes. Rendezvous lab was never reserved.

For classes--I always hated when people really whipped out their cell phones or played solitaire on their computer in class. It's one thing to play a quick game when you're in the back row, but when you're in the front row of class, everyone behind you can see. And it's one to answer a quick text under the table/desk. Quite another to carry on a whole conversation, with the cell phone blatantly in front of you, like you aren't paying attention at all.

As for residential life, I noticed a lot of freshmen didn't seem to understand this. Just because you're in college doesn't mean the rules of common courtesy and politeness fly out the window. Of course you can "go crazy" and stay up all hours of the night. But you better be darn quiet after about midnight, or your roommates and your neighbors down the hall are going to hate you. :P Particularly when you invite your friends over for noisy video games in the living room during finals week.
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
university etiquette
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2011, 07:50:37 AM »
20) Don't just all get up and leave EXACTLY when class ends. I'm in a freshman level lecture hall (last gen ed!) and at exactly 5:45 they all start getting up and leaving. I'm in an upper level business lecture hall and everyone waits until the professor dismisses us.

When I was in college, I often had classes that were 10 minutes apart. Sometimes, these classes were in different buildings, which required at least a 5 minute walk (and that's when I was hustling.) So, if Professor Jones is going over the class time with no end in sight, then yes, I would have gotten up and left if I had another class. The class ends at a certain time for a reason. When you have to go to another class, you have to go.

They aren't quiet though. At *exactly* 5:45, sometimes even before that they all stand up and leave talking and chatting. My professor has never gone over time either- she teaches up to time, but she has never been more than 30 seconds late.

I have had classes close together in the past, but I've never left class early to go to another one. I might not get the exact seat I want, but I don't disrespect one teacher to please another. (and I want that last little bit of information too! I can't hear it over the masses leaving the hall)
Poor time management on the professor's part. Nothing important should be said in the last minute, if possible, anyway. I don't even do that with high schoolers. Sure I keep talking but not about anything vital because I know their little one-track brains are going "60!....59!....58!....57!..." and the minute that bell rings, they're gone. They don't have time to let me ramble on past that bell and neither do most uni students. Prof needs to change up her style a bit.

ITA on the poster who discusses blabbermouths. There always has to be that ONE girl who has a comment for freaking everything in every class. She talks over everyone, including the teacher, and pretty much thinks she's an expert on par with the prof herself. I have one in EVERY class and I do not get on with those people. In a class last night, she and I almost had to "have a talk" because she kept interrupting a presentation I was doing! I finally had to pause the show and say "I'd really appreciate if I could get all the way through the show and then I'll be happy to lead a discussion"
Wherever you go.... there you are.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2011, 02:14:07 PM »
Internships cannot be done online (I actually had a student ask this)

Ow. Really, that had to take a brain stretch to think that that was okay. Out of curiosity, what would've been the internship material?

It was for social work.  Our master level students MUST put in 260 hours (unpaid) per semester at an approved social service agency to receive their degree. This student thought she could do it online because "everything can be done online now".

567Kate

• Nothing could possibly go wrong with this idea.
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2011, 02:22:21 PM »

I had one professor who was always ten minutes late and really disorganized. The class would then go ten minutes late, and of course, our passing periods were ten minutes. This would also make the professor for the next class in that room get a late start. I didn't have a class right afterward, but the students who did would just leave at the time class was supposed to end.

I think students should wait a minute or two to be respectful, but professors who consistently have classes that go late are being disrespectful themselves.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2011, 01:16:13 AM »
Internships cannot be done online (I actually had a student ask this)

Ow. Really, that had to take a brain stretch to think that that was okay. Out of curiosity, what would've been the internship material?

It was for social work.  Our master level students MUST put in 260 hours (unpaid) per semester at an approved social service agency to receive their degree. This student thought she could do it online because "everything can be done online now".

ROFL! Wow. I'm sure my advisor would totally be okay if I went up to her and asked to do my church music internship online. Yeah, that would go over great, even though the internet is no substitute for real-life experience.  ::)

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

snowdragon

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 09:46:59 AM »
11) Please don't be offended when the person you've asked to proofread your paper has the audacity to correct your spelling and punctuation.

I'll second that! Been there and done that! ;D
you, especially if you did not

Don't expect the person proof reading your paper to rewrite it for you - especially if you did not even bother to write on the topic assigned!

ETA:  If you *MUST* bring your kid to class, do not allow him/her to disrupt the class, expect that they can participate in class activities/discussions or ask the other students for supplies to keep your kid busy...and it's rude to have the kid eating and rustling bags during class, yes we can hear that, yes it's distracting. So is chatting with the kid during lecture time and having the kid play games with the sound on, ect. Those students paid for the class, and while you paid tuition your child did not and allowing them to distract the students from their studies is entitled and rude. The kid does not have the "right to be"there.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:57:41 AM by snowdragon »

snowdragon

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 10:03:31 AM »
some  for the Professors:

Your students are there to learn, not to be ridiculed, you may know more than them about your topic, but sure as shooting - there's things they  know more than you about - especially if they are older students.

If another professional takes your class on a tour of their facility thank  you notes are  not "stupid, out dated conventions" they will make those professionals feel appreciate and more willing to help you out the next time.

Support staff are not your servants - and treating them as such can seriously harm your career.

TeamBhakta

Re: university etiquette
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »

Poor time management on the professor's part. Nothing important should be said in the last minute, if possible, anyway. I don't even do that with high schoolers. Sure I keep talking but not about anything vital because I know their little one-track brains are going "60!....59!....58!....57!..." and the minute that bell rings, they're gone. They don't have time to let me ramble on past that bell and neither do most uni students. Prof needs to change up her style a bit.

ITA on the poster who discusses blabbermouths. There always has to be that ONE girl who has a comment for freaking everything in every class. She talks over everyone, including the teacher, and pretty much thinks she's an expert on par with the prof herself. I have one in EVERY class and I do not get on with those people. In a class last night, she and I almost had to "have a talk" because she kept interrupting a presentation I was doing! I finally had to pause the show and say "I'd really appreciate if I could get all the way through the show and then I'll be happy to lead a discussion"

I had two male chatterboxes in my college, named D. and G. Each of them was known for doing this to professors and guest speakers: "What do you think is the impact of xyz situation in the market place ? Because I used to work in such and such position and it seemed to me the impact was....*five minutes later* So what do you think ?" Oddly enough, G used make snotty comments about D being a chatterbox and holding up class. Straight over his head, I swear  ::)

I had one professor who was always ten minutes late and really disorganized. The class would then go ten minutes late, and of course, our passing periods were ten minutes. This would also make the professor for the next class in that room get a late start. I didn't have a class right afterward, but the students who did would just leave at the time class was supposed to end.

I think students should wait a minute or two to be respectful, but professors who consistently have classes that go late are being disrespectful themselves.

I had one professor at community college who was always late and disorganized. Professor Boring would show up at least 15 minutes late every day (she was a licensed dietician, I think ?) Then she would stand in front of the class giving what sounded like a hastily thrown together presentation written an hour earlier ("The most important nutrient in that case is *shuffles cards, squints* vitamin A...Sources of it include..."). It got to the point that people would get up halfway through class and leave en masse, because she was just so useless. Even adding pop quizzes to the end of class did not convince people to stick around. My parents later had her for a diabetes class at the local hospital. They said everyone wanted to leave her diabetes class because she behaved the same way.

Miriam

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 11:53:33 AM »
I have a new one. Our computer labs are electronically locked, so you need an i.d. to access. Everyone knows this, it's in all the pamphlets, mail-outs, posters, registration papers, etc. It bugs me to no end when people grab the handle and start banging the door because they don't have their i.d. to access the labs.

They are super loud bangings too. It's distracting, and people eventually get up to let them in. If we ignore them we get yelled at through the window.

So, is is rude to come to school without your i.d. if you know you need to use the lab? I make sure mine is always in my bag, I can understand an honest mistake, but not if you are doing what you can to knock the door off its hinges.
"All Was Well"

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, 12:31:13 PM »
I have a new one. Our computer labs are electronically locked, so you need an i.d. to access. Everyone knows this, it's in all the pamphlets, mail-outs, posters, registration papers, etc. It bugs me to no end when people grab the handle and start banging the door because they don't have their i.d. to access the labs.

They are super loud bangings too. It's distracting, and people eventually get up to let them in. If we ignore them we get yelled at through the window.

So, is is rude to come to school without your i.d. if you know you need to use the lab? I make sure mine is always in my bag, I can understand an honest mistake, but not if you are doing what you can to knock the door off its hinges.

Yes, it's very rude to come in, expecting others to let you in. A failure to plan on their part does not constitute an emergency on your end. Double rude points for actually banging the door.  >:(
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 03:44:22 PM »

Most universities I know of have a rule that you need to have your ID on you whenever you are on campus. You usually also need them for things like checking out library books and getting into your dorm and at some places, using the dining halls. So why not just put it in your wallet or bag and have it on you all the time? Seems simpler than having to think every day, "Am I going to need my ID today?" When I was an undergrad, we all carried our IDs on our key rings, just to make sure we'd take them with us every day.

But to answer your question, yes, I think it's rude to plan to use the computer lab and to know that you will need your ID to do so and not bring it along. As you say, mistakes happen, but it's pretty easy to carry an ID with you.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Gabrielle

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 08:01:06 PM »

Most universities I know of have a rule that you need to have your ID on you whenever you are on campus. You usually also need them for things like checking out library books and getting into your dorm and at some places, using the dining halls. So why not just put it in your wallet or bag and have it on you all the time? Seems simpler than having to think every day, "Am I going to need my ID today?" When I was an undergrad, we all carried our IDs on our key rings, just to make sure we'd take them with us every day.

But to answer your question, yes, I think it's rude to plan to use the computer lab and to know that you will need your ID to do so and not bring it along. As you say, mistakes happen, but it's pretty easy to carry an ID with you.

I have done this before - the banging on the door thing. Here's why. I had a laboratory report that was very time constrained - we started the lab experiment at 2pm and the report was due by 10pm that night. My small department has a computer lab to themselves, and it had been announced that those of us doing the lab would have priority on the dept computers. For this reason, everyone left their bags by a computer to "mark their territory" (this was suggested by HOD as computer real estate was prime). So we went off to do our lab at 2pm and finished at 6pm (the lab ran later than expected). At 5pm the university autolocks so you can't get into computer labs without an ID card. The ID card that was sitting in the locked computer lab. So yes, I banged on the door and a friend let me in.
Sure it was my mistake, but nobody in the computer lab considered it rude - we're all friends and it wasn't at all a big deal.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 12:13:51 AM »
That's really interesting that you have locked computer labs. We have one in each dorm, computers all over the library and the student union, as well as kiosks so people can check email and such without having to leave a building they have a class in.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 01:30:20 AM »
I think only the library at my university had a 'locked' computer lab. All the computer labs required a computer account, but that's it.
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho