News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 05, 2015, 02:32:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What do Non-Americans drink your hot tea out of and why?  (Read 2580 times)

Carotte

Re: What do Non-Americans drink your hot tea out of and why?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2015, 02:18:23 PM »
This seems like a very relevant article for this discussion: http://www.buzzfeed.com/chelseypippin/22-cups-of-tea-from-around-the-world#.qq9d8Gz20y

I'm fascinated by the sheer variety!

You beat me to it  ;)

JeanLouiseFinch

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2015, 09:00:18 PM »
I know Russian Jews who still drink their tea (with lemon) out of a glass, which they put on a saucer and drink with loads of sugar. Under kosher rules, glass can be used with either milk or meat, removing the necessity of having separate cups depending on whether you are drinking tea with a milk meal or a meat meal. Russian (all Russians, not just Jews) often hold a sugar cube in their teeth and suck the tea through it. The older custom is to have a small taste of jam or jelly on a spoon and alternate bites off the spoon with sips of tea. When I went to Russia in the 70's, I met lots of girls in high school who had a whole row of steel teeth in the front!

I always make the tea in a pot and drink it out of a big mug, usually with a little bit of honey. Unfortunately, in the US, you still generally get a small metal pot of not very hot water with a pretty bad teabag when you order tea. I love visiting Scotland where I can get a whole big pot of tea at a teashop.

Golden Phoenix

• Firebird
    • Matt's Menu
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2015, 09:08:04 AM »
It depends on what I'm doing.

For guests we use a china tea service, probably  a hangover from my mother's hosting. With her you had the tea service, (this one: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6QxgGSXJxVH4cIZjzdVOhJyqGYkzOefOgKv_XBG_Jk-xSi-b2mg) finger cakes on a china plate, finger sandwiches, sugar bowl, silver spoons, all on a tray with a doily.

If I'm making one of my expensive loose leaf teas those also go in china, i kinda figure the china tea cups were designed with tea in mind and therefore you would (theoretically) get a better experience. (Yes, i'm a total tea snob, :))

For day to day, whichever mug i grab first, some are thick earthenware, some are thinner china, one is cut crystal glass (vintage french, a gift from DH) and most of them have a logo or funny slogan. Lol.

For the Maintenance man it's a thick earthenware one with the local football club's crest on it, because he supports another team and is always teasing me about it. :D Bit of a running joke.

I have to admit, I can't drink cheaper tea, not for any snobby reason but "everyday" blends, like tetley or whatever have a nasty oily fish taste to me, and who wants tea that tastes like sardines? I suspect it has something to do with the teabags, although I once read a theory that the high levels of tannins in most british "big name" brands can react oddly with hard water, and the water here is very very hard, causing an off taste.