News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 29, 2016, 06:41:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What meat do/don't you eat?  (Read 8356 times)

Margo

Re: What meat do/don't you eat?
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2015, 05:40:45 AM »
Some of the ways I see turkey us served is a bit odd to me. Curried turkey, turkey burgers etc. But I'm boring, I just like it roasted or on a sandwich.

And here's an interesting comparison. Bacon.

Top is English/Canadian bacon. Bottom is American bacon. I prefer the top and this is what you get at our Mc Donald's on McMuffins.

And nice and chewy please. Hate crispy bacon, it's like it's burnt.

Actually we get both kinds in England - the top one is Back bacon and the botom, streaky bacon. And either kind can be cooked to be either floppy or crisp.
You can also have either of them either smoked or unsmoked.

My personal preference is smoked streaky bacon, cooked so it is so crispy it shtters on being cut. Streaky bacon was, historically, cheaper. I think it still is, but may be wrong. When I was growing up we used to have streaky bacon for breakfast evey day but my parents would sometimes buy back bacon as a treat.

(edited as I messed up the quote)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 05:44:17 AM by Margo »

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2015, 06:06:40 AM »
Normally not in Australia, you can get turkey mince or the whole bird.

And lamb and garlic go hand in hand. Good thing we live garlic here and always have giant pot of garlic cloves in our fridge.

I've had turkey drumsticks in Australia recently, from Woolworths. Years ago I used to buy frozen turkey hindquarters from Coles - don't know if you can still get the,

Yes, I've seen turkey drumsticks, hindquarters, shanks and more for sale here (Oz) at both Coles and Woollies. Been tempted to have a go, since I couldn't get through a whole turkey.

What do they mean by hindquarters and shanks?  I'm assuming one of the terms means the thighs (connected to the drumsticks).  In the US, poultry pieces are usually breast, wing, drumstick, and thigh.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2015, 06:24:58 AM »

And lamb and garlic go hand in hand. Good thing we live garlic here and always have giant pot of garlic cloves in our fridge.

I've had turkey drumsticks in Australia recently, from Woolworths. Years ago I used to buy frozen turkey hindquarters from Coles - don't know if you can still get the,

Yes, I've seen turkey drumsticks, hindquarters, shanks and more for sale here (Oz) at both Coles and Woollies. Been tempted to have a go, since I couldn't get through a whole turkey.

What do they mean by hindquarters and shanks?  I'm assuming one of the terms means the thighs (connected to the drumsticks).  In the US, poultry pieces are usually breast, wing, drumstick, and thigh.

No idea which bits the various turkey cuts come from since I've never had a whole turkey to cut up myself. I've only every cooked a leg and some turkey steaks. There are pictures in the links below that might help others more familiar with turkey to work it out.

Turkey shanks look like this. Lamb shanks are quite popular here so I'm *guessing* that could be why they chose that name.

https://www.steggles.com.au/products/2/Turkey-Shanks

Another Oz brand sells turkey drumsticks which look somewhat similar.

http://www.inghams.com.au/ingham-fresh-turkey-drumsticks

The hindquarter is usually sold as a roast. I've mostly seen them in the freezer section of the supermarket.

http://shop.coles.com.au/online/ProductDisplay?storeId=10601&productId=240509&urlRequestType=Base&langId=-1&catalogId=10001

The shops tend to bring out more options in the lead up to Christmas so I'll check out the turkey options when I'm shopping later this week.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2015, 06:38:34 AM »

No idea which bits the various turkey cuts come from since I've never had a whole turkey to cut up myself. I've only every cooked a leg and some turkey steaks. There are pictures in the links below that might help others more familiar with turkey to work it out.

Turkey shanks look like this. Lamb shanks are quite popular here so I'm *guessing* that could be why they chose that name.

https://www.steggles.com.au/products/2/Turkey-Shanks

Another Oz brand sells turkey drumsticks which look somewhat similar.

http://www.inghams.com.au/ingham-fresh-turkey-drumsticks

The hindquarter is usually sold as a roast. I've mostly seen them in the freezer section of the supermarket.

http://shop.coles.com.au/online/ProductDisplay?storeId=10601&productId=240509&urlRequestType=Base&langId=-1&catalogId=10001

The shops tend to bring out more options in the lead up to Christmas so I'll check out the turkey options when I'm shopping later this week.

Ah, ok.  Just looks like various names for the drumsticks and thighs.

POF

« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2015, 07:44:07 AM »
I eat mostly chicken, ocean fish ( cod, halibut etc. ) Shellfish,  but no flounder - seriously allergic and throw up for days. I love canned tunafish

I eat beef about 2 times a month - usually in the form of braised or a pot roast - not a fan of steak or burgers. I will opt for veggie burger or fish when i have this for the boys.

I eat pork of all kinds - maybe once a week.

I like turkey as well - but only the breast.

No organ meats, no hot dogs and only an occasional sausage

MOM21SON

« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2015, 06:23:43 PM »
Lamb is extremely expensive in many areas of the United States.  It would be a special occasion food here, if you could find it in the grocery at all.

So no, I've never cooked it at home.  I can buy a lot of chicken for what a single leg of lamb would cost here.

If you have a Sam's club, they have very nice lamp chops for a very good price!

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2015, 12:34:03 PM »
I'm single, a Sam's Club membership is useless to me.  I don't have the storage space for bulks.

heartmug

« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »
My favorites are really good roast beef, crispy duck, and also shrimp (scampi is my favorite).  We eat a lot of chicken at home since there are so many ways to prepare it and it is liked by all of us.  The rest of the family likes lamb but I do not. 
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2015, 08:45:12 AM »
We recently started buying four pounds of boneless chicken thighs a week, which we either roast on a sheet pan or grill and then have with various side dishes and sauces during the week. The price for them is unbeatable for us ($1.80/lb) and they are very flavorful.

We also buy a pork roast at $1.50/lb and those are the majority of our proteins for the week.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2015, 11:49:46 AM »
I love chicken thighs and will buy a big bag then wrap in pairs and freeze. I also buy breasts occasionally and do something similar. 

My DD's love breasts and I prefer thighs.  I used to throw a pair of breasts and a pair of thighs in the crockpot cover with cream of jalapeno soup and then shred it all over rice or noodles and have an easy meal for the three of us without spending a lot of time prepping and cooking.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »
I have a texture issue with most frozen meat, unfortunately.  :(
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

NestHolder

« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2015, 08:35:30 AM »
Dh and I just finished a nice piece of belly pork with crackling.  We eat quite a bit of pork, also beef, also chicken.  Lamb is nice, but nicest in the form of a large roasting joint, and unless we have visitors that's too much for us (and I'm not so keen on it cold).  Turkey occasionally, generally diced simply because of quantity, but I'll probably look for giant drumsticks to roast.  Bacon is of course a favourite, and I've had venison, ostrich, various game birds, kangaroo... ostrich steaks are very good.

I'm trying to cook two vegetarian meals per week (curried Quorn is good) and to eat more fish, which generally mean salmon or a fish pie.  Had some halibut not long ago which was really good, and tuna is so meaty it's almost like steak, but I've never been keen on plaice and the like.  Cod and chips is an irregular treat and well worth eating.

We're also partial to liver (chicken or lamb, pork is too strong) and kidneys (lamb, again).  I used to cook lamb's hearts in the slow cooker, but am not keen enough on the results to go to the trouble these days.  Also, I'm not sure I'd be able to find hearts without making a special effort!  Have not tried sweetbreads or brains, but tongue is nice.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2015, 03:02:12 PM »
Leftover roast lamb can be very easily turned into shepherds pie or a curry.

And if you butterfly your lamb and remove the bone and chunks of meat, you can make a lovely stew over the stove.

Thipu1

« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2015, 08:51:49 AM »
Lamb does have a very distinctive flavor.  It's a different flavor than liver but, like liver, people either love it or hate it. There's no middle ground with lamb.     

We are doing a Mongolian Hot Pot for Christmas dinner with thinly sliced lamb and chicken. 

mime

« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2015, 10:32:51 AM »
I'll eat most meats (exceptions for things I know of as housepets and anything endangered).

I've had few things I haven't liked-- I probably wouldn't choose to eat venison again. I don't care for sushi or sashimi, etc. That's entirely a texture thing.

When I was a kid, there was a fast food place with a southern feel called Church's Fried chicken. They had fried chicken livers, which I enjoyed eating only if I didn't have to look at them, the appearance was troubling to me.  ::)

I especially like wild game-- goose, duck, bison, elk, etc. The Cabella's near me has ostrich which is also tasty. Again, that's probably a texture thing, and I suppose I'm in the minority liking the toughness of the meat.

Sea creatures of all kinds are good, but I want them cooked. I especially like blue crab, or when I get a fried shrimp as a garnish to something and they leave the antennae on! Snails and frog legs, etc. are all good.

There's an amazing Hmong marketplace near my home and they have some of the best sausage I've ever had (and we have a lot of German/Polish/Czech people around here with great sausages). I think it was pork. They also had pork belly available which I considered trying... maybe next time. The chicken feet were kind of soft, which I didn't think was as good as crispy (texture, again!)

Finally, I do like Spam (why does that feel like a bad confession?) It has a great saltiness to it, and is a really good filling for a stuffed zucchini.