News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 06, 2015, 09:45:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Peanut butter  (Read 41204 times)

MacadamiaNut

• These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Re: Peanut butter
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2012, 10:15:34 AM »
Every Christmas, we make peanut butter Rice Crispies. Love them, since there's no cooking involved, and you get to get your hands all sticky! We also don't measure... it's pretty much the easiest recipe ever, since you really just do everything until it "feels" right, sticks together, and you can roll them into balls.

It's Rice Crispies, peanut butter, marshmallow fluff, and M&Ms. Once the ingredients are mixed and rolled into balls, wrap them in wax paper the same way you would wrap salt water taffy. You can make them as big or as small as you would like. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!

Mmmmm... sounds yummy! :D
Paperweights, for instance - has anyone ever established what, when, and why
paper has to be weighed down? ::) ~Don Aslett

Clarissa

« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2015, 09:09:58 PM »
I know this is a really old thread and I'm sorry to bring it up again. I'm in the uk, and I'm very surprised at the uk posters saying how popular peanut butter is. It is sold in my local supermarkets, but I can honestly say that I've never known anyone to buy it. Childrens parties, afternoon tea, picnics, etc, I have never been offered peanut butter sandwiches. Or peanut butter in general. I've never known anyone to tell me that they like it, or buy it. Sandwiches in the Midlands are ham/other cold meats, cheese, cheese spread or jam. Jam to me is fruit boiled with sugar. Either with or without bits and seeds. Jelly is what Americans call jello. A set wobbly desert. Marmalade is basically jam, but made with oranges,lemons, or limes. And preserve can be sweet or savory, but it's jam with a posher name. You can have tomato and onion preserve. Chutney is another one, that is jam but always savory. I love reading about different foods and customs. 

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2015, 05:47:22 AM »
South African here.

My dad eats his peanut butter with jam. I guess that's the same as jelly in America? I'm not sure. In South Africa "jelly" mean jello (the wobbly gelatinous dessert), so the first time I heard the phrase "Peanut butter and jelly" I was horrified at the suggestion.

I don't eat jam at all, so the idea of mixing it with peanut butter is horrible.

I usually have peanut butter on hot toast (warm enough to melt butter, then peanut butter spread over the melted butter), so yeah, that is probably a very rich combo for folks, but for me it's comfort food, so I don't have it very often

If I'm having it on plain untoasted bread then I just have it by itselt (no butter).
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Mustard

« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2015, 06:44:38 AM »
I'm with Clarissa on this; I don't know anyone who buys it, and I've never been offered it either.

Edited because I missed out 'never'.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:08:54 PM by Mustard »

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2015, 10:12:21 AM »
I'm with Clarissa on this; I don't know anyone who buys it, and I've been offered it either.

All sorts of nut butters are becoming popular in the States in the last 5 or so years like cashew butter and almond butters. Are any of those becoming trendy in other countries?

Betelnut

« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2015, 10:39:58 AM »
I'm with Clarissa on this; I don't know anyone who buys it, and I've been offered it either.

Well, frankly, pb is not something that would be "offered" as it is almost the opposite of fancy/guest-worthy.  It is something that you eat for comfort/deliciousness, not something that is special enough for a guest (except for really good pb desserts).  It is for the lunchbox, on toast/a bagel in the morning, eaten with crackers and honey as a snack or popped into your mouth using a spoon before going to bed.  I would find it weird to be offered a peanut butter sandwich if I were a guest at anyone's house other than a close relative's.

But I'm surprised that you (and others) don't know anyone that buys it.  Does no one in UK make peanut butter cookies/bars/brownies/pie?

Yum, yum, yum.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Mustard

« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »
I'm with Clarissa on this; I don't know anyone who buys it, and I've been offered it

But I'm surprised that you (and others) don't know anyone that buys it.  Does no one in UK make peanut butter cookies/bars/brownies/pie?

Yum, yum, yum.

Not that I've heard!

mandycorn

« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2015, 03:26:50 PM »
South African here.

My dad eats his peanut butter with jam. I guess that's the same as jelly in America? I'm not sure. In South Africa "jelly" mean jello (the wobbly gelatinous dessert), so the first time I heard the phrase "Peanut butter and jelly" I was horrified at the suggestion.

I don't eat jam at all, so the idea of mixing it with peanut butter is horrible.

I usually have peanut butter on hot toast (warm enough to melt butter, then peanut butter spread over the melted butter), so yeah, that is probably a very rich combo for folks, but for me it's comfort food, so I don't have it very often

If I'm having it on plain untoasted bread then I just have it by itselt (no butter).

Jam and jelly are similar in the US, I believe Jam is made with the whole fruit, but jelly is strained during processing so it's a much smoother texture, but in either case, they're a spread, not a gelatine dessert.

And PB on hot toast with butter is my go to breakfast every morning; it's especially good on toasted english muffins, because then it melts into all the bubble holes and crevices.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »
Oh my goodness, a thread on peanut butter!  How did I miss this?

DH & I love PB.  Our little dog, Honey Girl, loves PB.  There is a gourmet PB made on the North Shore of Oahu with coconut flavor, maybe oil, but no shreds or pieces of coconut.  It is delicious.  I buy very good quality jam, hearty multi-grain bread, and make the world's best PBJ samiches (peanut butter & jam sandwiches).  We also bought the gourmet PB in white chocolate raspberry flavor which I intend to make into peanut butter cookies.

When Honey Girl gets bored with a plain rawhide stick, I'll smear regular PB on it.  By the time she's gotten all the PB off, the rawhide is softened and she'll get into a good chew.  Honey Girl has her own PB jar so I don't worry about dog hair getting in our gourmet PB.

I also love asian inspired peanut butter sauces like satay sauce.  I've made salad dressing with PB.

I don't like PB in ice cream; Too rich.  When I wasn't trying to lose weight, I made toast with butter & PB like WolfWay.  M-m-m-m  Comfort food. :-*
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2015, 04:31:46 PM »
I put peanut butter in my cold sesame noodles.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2015, 04:36:43 PM »
M-m-m-m  That sounds good.  Do you mix the PB with a little rice vinegar first to thin it?  How do you get the thick PB to coat the noodles.  Now I'm hungry. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

metallicafan

« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2015, 11:33:59 PM »
I like crunchy peanut butter, with either strawberry or blackberry jam.  My DH eats pb&j on rye bread every day.
my younger son doesn't like peanut butter sandwiches.   He likes Nutella.

saki

« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2015, 02:56:35 AM »
I know this is a really old thread and I'm sorry to bring it up again. I'm in the uk, and I'm very surprised at the uk posters saying how popular peanut butter is. It is sold in my local supermarkets, but I can honestly say that I've never known anyone to buy it. Childrens parties, afternoon tea, picnics, etc, I have never been offered peanut butter sandwiches. Or peanut butter in general. I've never known anyone to tell me that they like it, or buy it. Sandwiches in the Midlands are ham/other cold meats, cheese, cheese spread or jam. Jam to me is fruit boiled with sugar. Either with or without bits and seeds. Jelly is what Americans call jello. A set wobbly desert. Marmalade is basically jam, but made with oranges,lemons, or limes. And preserve can be sweet or savory, but it's jam with a posher name. You can have tomato and onion preserve. Chutney is another one, that is jam but always savory. I love reading about different foods and customs.

I kind of agree with you, though I wouldn't go quite as far.  I think of peanut butter (am also in the UK) as being something that is sold, some people buy, but I wouldn't think of as a staple, if you know what I mean?  I.e. I wouldn't assume someone had it.  If, say, I was staying with a friend and they said "oh, what do you fancy for breakfast", I'd assume that they had bread, butter, cheese, jam or marmalade on hand but I wouldn't assume that they would have peanut butter.  That said, if I saw it in someone's cupboard, I wouldn't be surprised either.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2015, 07:46:49 AM »
M-m-m-m  That sounds good.  Do you mix the PB with a little rice vinegar first to thin it?  How do you get the thick PB to coat the noodles.  Now I'm hungry. >:D

My recipe is on this page:

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=117978.msg2746543#msg2746543

The trick is to combine the pasty and liquid ingredients first.  "Organic" peanut butter might also be better than the standard stuff because it's thinner in texture, but I've never tried that.

Coley

« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2015, 08:15:07 AM »
Everyone in our household loves peanut butter. I will sometimes eat a spoonful of peanut butter on the way out the door if I'm hungry and pressed for time. For years, DH took a peanut butter sandwich to work for lunch every day. Just bread and peanut butter -- no jelly or jam. Two of my favorite comfort foods are grilled peanut butter and jelly or grilled peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Yum ...

Chocolate and peanut butter is one of my favorite sweet combinations. My family has made me promise that I will always make a particular chocolate-covered, peanut-butter based candy every year for the holidays. They're similar to buckeye candy, but have crisp rice cereal in them that makes them crunchy.