Author Topic: Peanut butter  (Read 36281 times)

ArizonaGirl77

Re: Peanut butter
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2011, 03:36:55 AM »
I'm American, born and bred and I cannot stand peanut butter in any form or fashion. It's disgusting, vile, nasty stuff. I wouldn't eat it if it were the last thing on earth! I do stock it in my house but if you eat it than I ask that you A) Rinse every last ounce of the nasty stuff from your dish/utensil/whatever before leaving it in my sink and B) Brush your teeth/chew gum/something before we have any sort of contact which gets you close enough to breathe on me (and in this I"m referring to close family members, not the coworker who had it for lunch and has to be near me at a meeting...I just hold my breath or breathe shallowly in those situations!). No, I'm not kidding either.

Funny enough - my oldest son tolerates PBJ's  (although he never even ate one until he was 3 and it was at a friend's house - not mine) but it's not a food he would just naturally ask for. My middle son has the same loathing for it I do (mine is based on a traumatic childhood experience with the vile stuff - his comes naturally from having tried it and deciding it's vile of his own choosing). And, my youngest son would eat it right out of the jar with a spoon if I'd let him! UGH! LOL!

The hardest thing for me is filling my dog's Kong up with PB. I will beg, bribe, cajole, plead, and do whatever else is necessary to have someone else do it! However, Gyps only gets  a PB filled Kong on rare occasions...and only if I'm well stocked up on Milk Bones or Greenies to clean her breath after she has gotten all the peanut butter!!

Ok - I'm done now! LOL!

marcel

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2011, 07:13:39 AM »
Peanut butter is very popular in the UK.

I personally absolutely love PBJ sandwiches (and you've got me craving them right now), but I don't know very many other British people who like them.

What do you put on your PB sandwiches, if not J? I like to put a nice thick sweet-tart jam, like raspberry, or else banana and honey...mmm, peanut butter.

DH and I often have separate jars of PB, since he likes crunchy and I can't abide the stuff. The texture oogs me out.
The funny thing is that the question answers itself: peanut butter ;D.

As another poster said, peanut butter is very popular in the Netherlands. Mysel, I hate it, but I always have it at home to make peanut sauce, which I love.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Spoder

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2011, 07:28:09 AM »

I'm British and obsessed with peanut butter. Not with jam, I wouldn't like that. But I love it with Nutella. My favourite comfort food is two digestive biscuits (graham crackers) sandwiched together with PB, sliced bananas, and Nutella. If I'm really going to town, I add whipped cream.

Um, yum!!  :P

I'm Aussie, and I don't think peanut butter (usually called peanut paste here) is anywhere near as popular as Vegemite, honey or even jam (jelly). Well, certainly not as popular as Vegemite, the food of the gods.  ;). Personally, I only like crunchy PB, not smooth. And I've only every had PB combined with honey, although I'd gladly try it Gahr's way, with bananas and Nutella!

I think the last jar of PB I had on the shelf went off before I used it up. And nobody I know would understand what you wanted if you asked for a PBJ sandwich. So I suppose it really is a lot less popular here than it is in the US.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2011, 07:54:18 AM »
It's called peanut butter in Melbourne. Whereabouts are you Spoder?

Victoria

Spoder

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2011, 08:01:10 AM »

Western Australia. We're a little bit backward here.  :-[ ;)

(I think more people are calling it peanut butter now, but when I was a kid, that would have been considered an Americanism. Most people I know still call it peanut paste).

marcel

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2011, 08:53:21 AM »
About the name, the Dutch word is peanut cheese
Wherever you go..... There you are.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2011, 09:09:26 AM »

Western Australia. We're a little bit backward here.  :-[ ;)

(I think more people are calling it peanut butter now, but when I was a kid, that would have been considered an Americanism. Most people I know still call it peanut paste).

Well, it can sort of glue your tongue to the top of your mouth, so paste is a lot more accurate then butter.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2011, 09:23:33 AM »
American here who has always hated, even as a child, a PB&J. *However* I love peanut butter itself. Usually I'll make a peanut butter and honey sandwich while DH and Little Coug get the PB&Js.

Also my taste in the type of peanut butter has changed as I no longer like the Skippys or Jiffs; now all we eat is the Smucker's Natural (I think it's the name) where the only ingredients are peanuts and a little salt. Of course there's oil at the top so you have to mix it but I don't mind. To me the taste is far superior to the other more processed brands out there. Now I only buy the other brands for peanut butter cookies. :)

In the last couple of years I discovered apple slices spread w/a little bit of peanut butter. Delicious!!

Cricket

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 11:38:49 AM »
When I was a kid and heard about Americans eating peanut butter and jelly, I thought " How/why would you put jelly on a sandwich?" Many years later, I found out that what Australian's call jelly Americans call jello. So glad the young me never tried PB&Jello!!!

Peanut butter is one are two of my DH and DS's main food groups. There is a hint of panic if the jar is almost empty and there's not a new one in the pantry. I think they'd both go into total meltdown if there was none in the house  ::)

I buy a brand which has no added sugar or salt. I'll have a peanut butter sandwich maybe once a month, but I love it on vanilla ice-cream. Yummmmmmmmy.

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2011, 11:55:37 AM »
I love the stuff.  Crunchy or smooth - depends on my mood and the brand.  Mostly my mood.  I love most nut-butters.  Cashew butter is divine!  A Nutella rocks too.  In college, my roommates and I put it on everything, including baked chicken.  I don't think we were ever able to find something it didn't taste good on, except Chinese food.

As to jelly - grape? strawberry? something else?  I grew up with grape, but I love it all.  DH is a hardcore strawberry kind of guy. 
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Cyradis

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2011, 12:10:43 PM »
Peanut butter is quite popular in Trinidad and we have a few local brands. The American brands are more flavourful, in my opinion. Peanut butter on whole wheat toast is a favourite breakfast of mine and one of the only foods I can stomach when I'm sick. I love a good PBJ but with guava jelly or jam. Strawberry is tolerable but never grape jelly.

MummySweet

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2011, 12:13:43 PM »
My DH says that peanut butter is my only food group.     :D

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2011, 01:17:49 PM »
PBJ is gross to this American; Fluffernutters are where it's at! Has to be smooth, no chunks!

(For those not familiar, you unfortunate souls, Fluffernutters are sandwiches made with peanut butter and a thick marshmallow spread called Fluff. It's amazing.)

Oh, yes.  Fluffernutters were known when I was a child but that was never allowed in the home of my parents.  To be honest, I never had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich until I was in College.  At home, the sandwich of choice was cream cheese and jelly.   

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2011, 02:12:08 PM »
I don't think I'd like a PB sandwich without leavening of some kind. The J or honey or bacon keeps it from being overly sticky and one-note.

To clarify: in the US we have jelly and jam. As a PP noted, what Britishers call "jelly" we would call "Jell-O." But what is the equivalent to our jelly called? Jam being a thick, all-fruit spread, and jelly being gelatinous and...fruit-colored. ~shudder~ I hate jelly.

Maujer

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2011, 08:32:21 PM »
I like PB on Ezekiel bread. I'm not a big bread person, but this stuff is my favorite. With Trader Joe's salted PB, flax seeds, and maybe a little nutella? Yum.