Author Topic: Peanut butter  (Read 35301 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Peanut butter
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »
as far as I am concenred strawberry jam is for breakfast in the morning and grape jelly is for peanut butter sandwiches.  I do go to a smoothy place where they have flatbread sandwiches with peanut butter, granola, honey and banana.  They toast it just a little. I love those things.

Aggiesque

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2011, 02:38:07 PM »
I thought I was the only one who dislikes PBJ.  Peanut butter, yes!  Jelly/jam, yes!  But both on the same sandwich?   

Me too. Although I know I ate it growing up now and then- although I also remember primarily eating peanut butter (only) sandwiches. DH and DD both eat PBJ like it's going out of style.

DH hates crunchy- but that is the BEST kind for making peanut butter cookies, imo!
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2011, 03:56:21 PM »
Peanut butter is virtually unknown here in Brazil. There is a local "peanut spread" that is not popular at all.

I got hooked on peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter cups when I was in the US, so I scout for the peanut spread. It is also good for peanut sauce (which I got hooked on in Holland). Peanut butter and Nutella is heavenly. Oh! And the Canadian Nature Valley sweet and salty peanut butter bar - drool.

Yup, I am an addict and I beg people to send me some of this stuff. My poor friends always bring some back for me.

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2011, 04:41:03 PM »
I remember a while back we discussed nuggets of wisdom from our mothers.  My mother taught me that peanut butter makes everything better (if only for a little while).

Seriously, the lady's always got a spoon in a jar of the stuff.  I think her blood type is Jiff. 
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2011, 05:59:25 PM »
I like peanut butter but only plain on toast.  I do not like PBJ or in chocolate.  However, I do like it in egg rolls; gives it some zip.

jmarvellous

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2011, 06:43:50 PM »
I love PB. I buy the natural stuff (no added sugar, just peanuts and maybe a smidge of salt), but I'll eat Jif in a pinch. Nothing TOO sweet or oily. Any texture is fine, though I have an affinity for that rough-ground stuff that I realize most people don't share.

Jelly (jam), I like strawberry or mixed berry or apple butter. I usually pass on PB&J, though, especially if the person making it uses too much jelly or thinks that grape is remotely OK. It is not OK, not unless you have no tastebuds.  :P

I use peanut sauce a lot in stir fries, or for dipping steamed vegetables. And make PB cookies for special occasions.

DuBois

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2011, 02:12:02 AM »
I love PB. I buy the natural stuff (no added sugar, just peanuts and maybe a smidge of salt), but I'll eat Jif in a pinch. Nothing TOO sweet or oily. Any texture is fine, though I have an affinity for that rough-ground stuff that I realize most people don't share.

Jelly (jam), I like strawberry or mixed berry or apple butter. I usually pass on PB&J, though, especially if the person making it uses too much jelly or thinks that grape is remotely OK. It is not OK, not unless you have no tastebuds.  :P

I use peanut sauce a lot in stir fries, or for dipping steamed vegetables. And make PB cookies for special occasions.

Ooh,PB cookies sound lovely. Could you possibly post a recipe? :)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2011, 02:53:16 AM »
in israel, here.

I like PB and i like PBJ sandwiches but i stopped eating the american brands (skippy et al) and i only buy the natural one (it has only peanuts and sea salt). grape jelly is virtually unavailable here, and i usually eat it with strawberry jam.

israelis don't eat that much PB - many kids here (ok, adults too) grew up eating chocolate spread sandwiches. however, generations have grown up on a peanut butter flavored snack called BAMBA which is a puffed snacky food. they even have moms believing it's healthy... because it has vitamins or something...

and in the last decade or so, thai and vietnamese food have become more and more popular and the recipes call for peanut butter so that has been on the rise.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Betelnut

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2011, 11:28:47 AM »

Ooh,PB cookies sound lovely. Could you possibly post a recipe? :)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/classic-peanut-butter-cookies/detail.aspx

A very delicious variation is to make "Peanut Blossums".  Make the recipe above but don't "criss cross" the cookies with a folk--just sort of flatten them a bit before you bake.  After the cookies come out of the oven, press an unwrapped Hershey Kiss lightly into the middle of the cookie.  Oh yum.  I want one now!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

jmarvellous

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2011, 01:51:53 PM »
in israel, here.

I like PB and i like PBJ sandwiches but i stopped eating the american brands (skippy et al) and i only buy the natural one (it has only peanuts and sea salt). grape jelly is virtually unavailable here, and i usually eat it with strawberry jam.

israelis don't eat that much PB - many kids here (ok, adults too) grew up eating chocolate spread sandwiches. however, generations have grown up on a peanut butter flavored snack called BAMBA which is a puffed snacky food. they even have moms believing it's healthy... because it has vitamins or something...

and in the last decade or so, thai and vietnamese food have become more and more popular and the recipes call for peanut butter so that has been on the rise.

I bought Bamba at the kosher section of a nearby market. What was odd to me was how little peanut flavor was in them. They were similar to Cheetos, (puffed cheesy things) but not coated in cheesy dust and with just the slightest peanutty flavor. I'm not sure whether I liked them or not, if that makes any sense.

Gahr:
I make them vegan so BF will eat them, so I use mashed overripe bananas in place of the eggs, and use shortening or artificial butter instead of butter. But this recipe is good in the traditional way, too (just use half butter, half shortening for a richer flavor). My favorite, works with any type of peanut butter:
Crisco PB Cookies

DuBois

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 02:09:51 PM »

Thank you very much, Betelnut and JMarvellous!  I'll have to try them out! I especially like the idea of mashed bananas in the cookies, that sounds yum. Unforunately, my boyfriend doesn't like peanut butter. More for me >:D

Cyradis

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2011, 01:11:19 AM »
I like peanut butter but only plain on toast.  I do not like PBJ or in chocolate.  However, I do like it in egg rolls; gives it some zip.

I don't much like it in chocolate either, it's just too much sweet. An old friend and college roommate of mine used to nuke Reese's PB cups in the microwave and eat them blissfully.  :P I am curious about the Snickers peanut butter squares though.

sempronialou

• semper ubi sub ubi
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2011, 09:21:51 PM »
I've been making my own peanut butter.  I wish I could get it as smooth as creamy commercial peanut butter like Jiff.  Not a fan of chunky style.  Peanut butter is more of a rare treat anyway. 

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2011, 07:42:06 PM »
I've been making my own peanut butter.  I wish I could get it as smooth as creamy commercial peanut butter like Jiff.  Not a fan of chunky style.  Peanut butter is more of a rare treat anyway. 

Would you care to share a recipe? I would love to make some for myself.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2011, 11:42:59 PM »
I would love the recipe with mashed bananas, that sounds heavenly!