Author Topic: Peanut butter  (Read 34428 times)

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
Re: Peanut butter
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2011, 06:21:02 PM »
Homemade jelly can certainly be that, but by the official definition of commercially produced jelly, it does not actually have to contain fruit. Homemade jelly is tasty, mass-produced jelly is nasty.

Am I the only nut who buys a jar of PB and a bag of milk chocolate or dark chocolate Nestle chips to make my own Peanut Butter "Cup"? A spoon full of PB and generous sprinkle of chips is heaven. The ingredients just never make it to the cookie stage with me.

Um...no  :P The very best is when you spread the PB on a shortbread cookie and then top it with the chips. Just in case you need to gain a significant amount of weight in a short time, or something.

Elisabunny

« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2011, 10:05:26 PM »
Homemade jelly can certainly be that, but by the official definition of commercially produced jelly, it does not actually have to contain fruit. Homemade jelly is tasty, mass-produced jelly is nasty.

I made my very first batch of grape jelly this year.  It tastes nothing like commercial grape jelly.

When I was a kid, I ate plain, crunchy peanut butter sandwiches because I thought the jelly or jam made it nasty.  These days I'm rather fond of pb&banana.

You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2011, 06:52:29 AM »
Am I the only nut who buys a jar of PB and a bag of milk chocolate or dark chocolate Nestle chips to make my own Peanut Butter "Cup"? A spoon full of PB and generous sprinkle of chips is heaven. The ingredients just never make it to the cookie stage with me.

Off topic slightly but I'm shocked lately by the price of PB (I'm in the US). I hear that this was a bad harvest year for peanuts and so supply is short. The last medium size jar of Jiff I bought was over $7 -- I can't even imagine what PB would cost in countries where it is an import.

I spread peanut butter on a small bar of chocolate and eat it.

I tried making homemade peanut butter on tuesday. It tasted good, but the texture was more gritty than I like.

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2011, 09:38:20 AM »
When I lived in Bogota I would always have to bring a half a dozen jars of PB because you couldn't get it down there and once my family was introduced to it, it became and addiction, so my PB would quickly disappear. :)

I used to eat Peter Pan with honey, but now I've developed a love for the all natural just peanuts and salt kind, various brands, Kirkland (Costco) had a great one but I haven't been able to find it recently.

Peanut butter is the ultimate sandwich condiment, especially if you get the unsweetened type, because it can go either savory or sweet. I'll put just about anything on a sandwich with PB. I love PB, sharp cheddar cheese, and dill pickles. PB and sliced green bell peppers and cheese, PB and Jam or Jelly, PB and coconut flakes and bananas, PB and crushed potato chips and provolone, PB and bacon. PB bacon and bananas. PB bacon and FRIED bananas. PB, sunflower seeds and potato chips.

Basically I'll pair PB with anything that strikes my fancy. To quote something I read somewhere "Peanut Butter is the ultimate "flavor player" hooking up with everybody in the fridge and pantry".

Kath68

« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2011, 12:06:17 AM »
Aussie here. Peanut butter is common here, but not as popular as vegemite is. I actually like peanut butter and vegemite together on a sandwich. I haven't come across anyone else who does though. I discovered it one day when I couldn't decide whether I wanted a vegemite sandwich or a peanut butter sandwich,so I just put both on.

Greyalien

« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2011, 01:01:36 AM »
Aussie here. Peanut butter is common here, but not as popular as vegemite is. I actually like peanut butter and vegemite together on a sandwich. I haven't come across anyone else who does though. I discovered it one day when I couldn't decide whether I wanted a vegemite sandwich or a peanut butter sandwich,so I just put both on.

Hmmm. I have vegemite and peanut butter at home at the moment. Not sure if I'm game enought to try them together...might save it for a midnight snack kind of thing (and then only use one slice of bread). :-\

MizB

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2011, 11:59:49 AM »
I am a peanut butter addict and will eat it almost any way including in chocolate ice cream. Mr. O on the other hand, hates it.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

catgal

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2011, 08:12:11 AM »
Yet another Aussie (seriously, you can never have too many). 

I still call it peanut paste as that what it was called when I was growing up, but most brands have been taken over by American companies and now called peanut butter.  I love D!ck Smith's extra crunchy peanut paste - it is brilliant in satay sauces, on a stick of celery for quick snack or hot toast with peanut paste and honey - yum!
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2011, 02:10:17 AM »
Okay, who else puts peanut butter on their pancakes or their waffles? It's a tradition practically in our family. Cabbage puts peanut butter and jelly on her waffles, but I never go that far.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

LazyDaisy

« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »
Okay, who else puts peanut butter on their pancakes or their waffles? It's a tradition practically in our family. Cabbage puts peanut butter and jelly on her waffles, but I never go that far.

I've put peanut butter on plain Eggo-type waffles but not pancakes. I could see drizzling melted peanut butter on pancakes though. That sounds good actually.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Kaypeep

« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »
I had breakfast at a cafe this past year where they have PBJ french toast.  Basically, just PB and J spread on hot french toast.  It was the awesome!!!!!!  I haven't done it at home, yet, but I intend to.  I frequently make PBJ on eggos.  I have never done PBJ on pancakes because I'm not a big pancake fan to begin with, but I remember grape jelly on pancakes when I was a kid and it would get totally absorbed into the pancake and I didn't like that.

Lynnv

« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »

Me.  My late father.  My sister. 

If I am not in the mood for PB and syrup, I will have them with PB and honey or PB and jelly.  Or just with PB.

I prefer it on waffles, but will also go that direction with pancakes sometimes.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

catgal

« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2012, 04:42:59 AM »
I feel that this is the only place I can talk about one of my favourite peanut paste loves without being judged.  ;D

Vanilla icecream, slightly softened, with peanut paste and honey roughly stirred through. Put bowl of yumminess back in the freezer for 1/2 hour then take out and enjoy in privacy as no-one else seems to understand how good it is.  Don't mix it in evenly as you want to come across pockets of peanut paste and others of honey - it's like a treasure hunt in a bowl.
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

Redsoil

« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2012, 05:11:05 AM »
One of my late night snacks consists of the following routine.

1 teaspoon of peanut butter consumed as is.

Followed with 1 swallow of sweetened condensed milk straight from the tube.

1 slice of Camenbert cheese (slightly soft).

1 teaspoon of plum jam as a chaser.

Swig of Pepsi Max.

Repeat!

*Yes, all items are my personal stash, so no cross-contamination or hygeine issues etc.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Betelnut

« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2012, 03:06:51 PM »
I feel that this is the only place I can talk about one of my favourite peanut paste loves without being judged.  ;D

Vanilla icecream, slightly softened, with peanut paste and honey roughly stirred through. Put bowl of yumminess back in the freezer for 1/2 hour then take out and enjoy in privacy as no-one else seems to understand how good it is.  Don't mix it in evenly as you want to come across pockets of peanut paste and others of honey - it's like a treasure hunt in a bowl.

Yum! That sounds really, really, really good!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently