Author Topic: "No, thank you" is my favorite new phrase  (Read 4348 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
"No, thank you" is my favorite new phrase
« on: June 28, 2013, 06:01:27 PM »
I have been using this phrase lately and am quite happy with the results.  I always say it as if I've been offered a glass of water and make sure to have a friendly yet slight smile on my face.

My mom: "You shouldn't put that there, it doesn't look nice" said in a condescending tone.
Me: "No, thank you."
The conversation ended there and I didn't get angry.

Coworker: "Tell him to come down here now."
She just stared at me, scoffed, and turned away.  I could have JADE'd, I could have explained that I wasn't going to tell another coworker to walk 20 yards so the the first coworker could yell at him, but I just politely declined to play that game.

Lady At Grocery Store: "I need that!  Give it to me."
She said something very not nice to me but I needed the darned thing, too.  It's hot and my dogs want to play in the water (I will get pictures up soon!  I got them a kiddy pool!)

It's quite nice, this new phrase.  Well, the phrase isn't new, but me using it with good results is.  I was nervous to use it but it has been serving me well!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Brisvegasgal

Re: "No, thank you" is my favorite new phrase
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 06:07:23 PM »
I wish I could 'like' a post.  I love your examples and think I just found a new to me favourite phrase too.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 04:06:44 PM »
A friend of mine uses that on her young children and it works quite well. I like the idea of using it on adults who are acting inappropriately.

Pen^2

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 05:20:05 PM »
Ooh I like this! What are they going to reply with, "I wasn't asking, I was ordering!"

Also a kiddie pool for dogs is a hilariously good idea. One of these days I'm going to buy one of those things just for me.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:49:39 PM »
People really don't know how to respond to it so they usually wind up saying nothing.  I'm glad I finally found the gumption to say it.  It feels so gooooooood.

I've known a lot of dogs to like them, so I tried for my dogs despite them not really being a water-liking breed.  Apparently that doesn't matter with these 2.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Reader

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 12:09:07 PM »
It's so funny that this is up today.  I was at my favorite brewery yesterday and it was packed.  So I was sharing a table with a few other mug memebers that I knew around from the brewery.  I got cold, and went to my car to grab my wrap.  When I got back, A seated to my left said, "if you need warming up I hear I'm good at that." To which I replied no thank you.  He had no response after that, and left after that.

lowspark

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 12:23:10 PM »
I never thought much about it but I do the same thing all the time. "No, thank you" really is the perfect reply to so many situations.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 03:15:43 PM »
I've used this for years!  I always say it in a very polite tone and with a smile on my face so it often throws people off their game.  They honestly don't know how to respond to it.  I use it even when it doesn't make sense to the conversation.   (as in, when people aren't asking but ordering) 

It truly is a helpful phrase.  Glad you discovered it! :D