Author Topic: Need Response For Unwanted Gifts  (Read 30690 times)

dks64

Re: Need Response For Unwanted Gifts
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, 10:22:41 PM »
Time for a terrible accident in the laundry with the worst of these - a bleach spill, the sleeve gets wrapped under the agitator & rips, or possibly you try ironing the shirt & scorch it..............

Or just clean the closet and toss the OLD shirts into a box - the box could be for the local charity thrift shop, it could be for cleaning rags, or it could be taken to the local pound to be used as bedding material (cut off the buttons). 

If he feels like he needs a shirt or two of last resort - pick the least ugly............

You people are too funny :P

Coruscation

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2011, 12:22:35 AM »
But I can't. They're so bad  :'( And a HUGE turnoff.

There you go, the solution. Be turned off any day he wears the shirts.

Seriously, I once told dh he reminded me of my grandfather when he wore a certain item of clothing and it had an anti romantic effect on me. Haven't seen it since.

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2011, 10:05:25 AM »

Seriously, I once told dh he reminded me of my grandfather when he wore a certain item of clothing and it had an anti romantic effect on me. Haven't seen it since.

POD trying this one!!

dks64

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 03:44:51 PM »

I did tell him that, so hopefully that got the message through. I don't see my bf very often because of distance and our work schedules, so I don't know if he just doesn't plan to wear them when I'm around or if he doesn't wear them anymore. The last 2 days that I've been at his house, he's worn the shirts I bought, so that's good :D He looks so handsome in the new shirts, they're very flattering for his skin tone and body type. The others... not at all.

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2011, 04:42:46 PM »
There is a college / university town near where I live that sells Hawaiian shirts @ a "retro" resale clothing shop for a pretty penny. Might as well make some money if donating is not an option.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2011, 06:46:58 AM »

I was dating a guy in college, very tall, thin and handsome, who tried to impress me with his new cologne. It was the same scent my short, bald and heavyset grandfather wore! My brain to mouth filter wasn't working that day and I quickly gasped and said "You remind me of a short, fat, bald man: my grandfather!"

My then boyfriend switched to a new scent. Sadly and ironically, it was the same cologne my father wore! Aaak.

But, OP, I think that these PPs are on to something.

dks64

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2011, 02:11:26 PM »

I was dating a guy in college, very tall, thin and handsome, who tried to impress me with his new cologne. It was the same scent my short, bald and heavyset grandfather wore! My brain to mouth filter wasn't working that day and I quickly gasped and said "You remind me of a short, fat, bald man: my grandfather!"

My then boyfriend switched to a new scent. Sadly and ironically, it was the same cologne my father wore! Aaak.

But, OP, I think that these PPs are on to something.

Lol. When I see these shirts, it's a similar reaction. No matter how hard I try, I can't see them as anything other than what a short, older guy with a beer belly wears (his step Dad). I haven't seen these shirts since I flat out told him they turn me off, luckily.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2011, 06:23:51 PM »
I agree. I've always resolved to never become one of the wives who throws out her husband's old shirts. Whenever I've had an SO who wore ratty old clothes, I left those alone but made sure to keep giving them good-looking clothes as gifts and then complimenting said SO's hotness in the outfit.  ;)

I've never tossed out any of my BF's clothes (well, I have, but not without his explicit permission). I have, however, stuffed a couple of t-shirts that are no longer fit for anything but waxing the car into a drawer in the bathroom, underneath my hair dryer.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

dks64

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2011, 06:42:16 PM »
Still no recent sightings of the shirts :)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »

Great update! Is he still getting them as gifts? Or have the "gift" givers figured out that he no longer wants their hand-me-downs?

dks64

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2011, 11:54:11 PM »

Great update! Is he still getting them as gifts? Or have the "gift" givers figured out that he no longer wants their hand-me-downs?

As far as I know, no new shirts have been offered to him.

Wolfgirl

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2011, 10:48:18 AM »
sparkle unicorns for EVER

HA! This might just be my new favourite phrase /threat (accompanied by an image of a giant pink Sparkle Unicorn advancing until it eclipses your entire field of vision)...

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2011, 12:12:33 AM »
This thread has me picturing Charlie Sheen in those bowling shirts he wore on "Two and a Half Men" and Tom Selleck wearing Hawaiian shirts as Magnum, P.I. Both of them had a certain je ne sais quoi that allowed them to look the height of cool (and in Tom's case, hot!) in those most uncool of shirts.

Can BF use something like that to deflect future offers? Even if he has to lie a little?

"Dude, I appreciate your offering me these shirts, but I just don't have whatever it takes to make them look good on me. You look like Magnum in a Hawaiian shirt. I look like Magnum's 98-pound-weakling kid brother. If you can't wear them anymore, I know of this secondhand shop that would kill for them ... ."
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

dks64

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2012, 06:47:48 AM »
Update: On my boyfriend's birthday 2 nights ago, his step father gave him ANOTHER ugly shirt. It doesn't fit him and while I like the color, it's the ugly bowling type shirt with Asian characters all over it. Horrible. I helped my bf go through his clothes today and he donated stuff that he didn't want/need/wear. I've bought him a lot of clothes since this thread started and he's looking a lot better. We've moved from shirts to pants though. The pants with non-fashionable tears, paint, and other crap stuck on them are being phased out. He went from looking like a 45 year old to a 27 year old.  ;D AND we got him new shoes (his looked like they were shredded by a dog).

He had clothes in his closet from elementary school. No joke.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2012, 06:53:28 AM »
He had clothes in his closet from elementary school. No joke.

I have clothes in my closet from elementary school too. It still fits, it still looks good and I still like it. No problems there :)

I think my oldest article of clothing that I still wear on a regular basis is probably from 1991 or 1992.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice