Author Topic: Need Response For Unwanted Gifts  (Read 29736 times)

dks64

Re: Need Response For Unwanted Gifts
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2012, 02:28:49 PM »
He had clothes in his closet from elementary school. No joke.

I have clothes in my closet from elementary school too. It still fits, it still looks good and I still like it. No problems there :)

I think my oldest article of clothing that I still wear on a regular basis is probably from 1991 or 1992.

No, just no  ;) Some of it was an old school uniform. He had a shirt that used to be bright white that was now cream with sweat stains all over the collar. He had this really ugly vest from an 8th grade dance. I have some clothes from high school, but they're in good condition and not hideous. It's not like he's worn any of it in over 10 years, it was just taking up space. He would look at his closet and think "I have clothes, I don't need to go shopping."

dks64

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2013, 12:35:05 AM »
1 year later, the shirts are long gone!  ;D AND he plans on tossing out more old clothes within the next week or so.

z_squared82

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2013, 12:00:42 PM »
Yay! I love purging.

Just saw this thread.

Did your boyfriend ever ask the coworkers *why* they were giving him their old shirts? I find asking Why stops a lot of people in their tracks. Asking them to articulate/verbalize their reasoning helps bring into perspective  that maybe it's not such a good idea. Or helps you think of a good way to refuse.

dks64

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2013, 04:12:41 PM »
Yay! I love purging.

Just saw this thread.

Did your boyfriend ever ask the coworkers *why* they were giving him their old shirts? I find asking Why stops a lot of people in their tracks. Asking them to articulate/verbalize their reasoning helps bring into perspective  that maybe it's not such a good idea. Or helps you think of a good way to refuse.

No, he didn't want to ask, he didn't want to come across as rude. My assumption is he wore them, so they figured he wanted more. Now that he dresses better, the offers stopped (thank god).