Author Topic: Location in your profile  (Read 21805 times)

marcel

Location in your profile
« on: September 17, 2011, 10:31:50 AM »
This is something that has been bugging me for years, I decided to finally devote a thread to it.

In a lot of threads on E-hell the country where the posters are from is relevant. To help with this, it is possible to put your location in your profile. The only problem with this is that most posters on e-hell do not do this, so when replying in a thread, I don't know what the cultural background is.

The simple solution for me, to this problem, is that if you do not put your location in your profile, I will assume that you are in The Netherlands and answer accordingly.

An even better solution is if more people would put their location in their profile. For those of you who are afraid of their privacy, just a country gives enough help for a discussion, without greatly reducing your privacy.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: Location in your profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 11:46:40 AM »
I would happily do so if I knew how.  My local time is wrong too but I don't know how to change it.

squeakers

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 12:03:45 PM »
It already has that option... but I don't know how to get it to show (under profile you can say Location, it just doesn't show up).  Maybe stick it where people put quotes if it means anything to you? Me? I figure 90% of EHell is USA-centric and the rest I either divine from their spelling, them saying so or figuring it really doesn't matter as this is a USA forum discussing USA etiquette.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:07:50 PM by squeakers »
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

The Legend of Daisy

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 12:24:17 PM »
Yes, this has happened a couple of times recently where people have said 'in my country....' and not mentioned their country! Sometimes I feel like people must get sick on me always saying '...in Canada' or 'in the UK' (the 2 places I've lived), but I always thought it would also be pretty arrogant to assume people have nothing better to do than to remember where I live ;)

demarco

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 03:02:21 PM »
I think the best thing to do is indicate your location within the thread  if location is relevant to the thread.  I'm not going to check everyone's profile while I'm plowing through a thread. 

The simple solution for me, to this problem, is that if you do not put your location in your profile, I will assume that you are in The Netherlands and answer accordingly.

What is the point of doing this when you will be wrong almost all of the time? 

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 03:23:50 PM »
I think the best thing to do is indicate your location within the thread  if location is relevant to the thread.  I'm not going to check everyone's profile while I'm plowing through a thread. 

What is the point of doing this when you will be wrong almost all of the time?

I completely agree with all of this.

If your location is relevant you should make sure it's in your OP or repines if it isn't your thread.

And Marcel, you must know vast majority of the posters are not in Netherlands so I also don't quite understand your point.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

demarco

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 03:28:20 PM »
Me? I figure 90% of EHell is USA-centric and the rest I either divine from their spelling, them saying so or figuring it really doesn't matter as this is a USA forum discussing USA etiquette.

USA is my default assumption which is reasonable considering the makeup of the membership. 

Frequently, it's not the country that is relevant but rather the state or region or even city.  I've been frustrated by threads asking about the weather or the availability of public transportation in "your area."  Invariably, posters will respond with "It's 90 degrees here!" or "we have buses but nobody takes them."  I don't see the point of responding to a thread like that if you are not going to tell your location and tell it within the thread. 

I wonder if some ehellions mention their locations a few times and then assume that everyone remembers where they are and so they don't have to repeat it in a thread that cries out for locations.  In my case anyway, this assumption would be wrong.  I can't remember where I parked my car half the time, let alone where all the ehellians live. 

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 03:34:08 PM »
I'm an online minimalist. I have pretty much squat in my profile. You're just going to have to deal with that. ;D

I don't mind if you assume I'm Dutch, and it probably wouldn't affect your understanding of my posts, but wouldn't it be simpler to simply ask someone where they are from if their country is relevant and they don't mention it?
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Steve

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 03:34:25 PM »
I must say I will usually assume north america's, since the majority of the population of the forum are there.

But: I see etiquette as a more universal thing than just USA.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 03:44:11 PM »
I'm sure people get tired of me mentioning the Deep South, but when it's relevant, it's very relevant. 

When it's not relevant, you wouldn't divine much accurate information about me based solely on knowing where I live.  I love where I'm from, but I don't subscribe to many of the stereotypical attitudes prevalent in the US South. 

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

squeakers

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 03:51:24 PM »
I must say I will usually assume north america's, since the majority of the population of the forum are there.

Yes, but since the Dame is a US citizen all etiquette on this site tends to follow US customs. We can discuss the differences between various countries and even regional.. but when it gets down to brass tacks she has the final say on which custom is the right one (for this site, at least).
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

The Legend of Daisy

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 04:05:05 PM »
I'm with Marcel, in that it's less about the etiquette threads and more about the things where geography makes a difference, weather, transportation, shops, schools (there was one recent school thread where the country was really relevant)

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 04:28:13 PM »

Yes, but since the Dame is a US citizen all etiquette on this site tends to follow US customs. We can discuss the differences between various countries and even regional.. but when it gets down to brass tacks she has the final say on which custom is the right one (for this site, at least).
Slight side track but this is a discussion board on etiquette. In a discussion, no one has the Final Word on anything, even if they do know quite a bit. Ehelldame is a board adminstrator, she's not a tyrant.

The majority of the posters here are American, and so is Ehelldame, but that doesn't mean this board is exclusively about American etiquette or that it's always the correct one or anything.

However, assuming that people are Dutch is a bit silly when the majority of the board is from the USA. Why not just ask people to clarify where they're from if it matters?
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 04:31:57 PM »
The majority of the posters here are American, and so is Ehelldame, but that doesn't mean this board is exclusively about American etiquette or that it's always the correct one or anything.

A big ol' heck yeah to that sentiment.  A pet peeve of mine (it more makes me laugh than makes me mad, though) is seeing this on any internet forum:  "This is America!!"

Uh, no it's not.  It's the internet.  You're just sitting in America.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 05:09:30 PM »
I decided to do something about it by... well, you can see it without even going to check my profile

<--------------