Author Topic: Location in your profile  (Read 20919 times)

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
Re: Location in your profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 06:03:44 PM »
I had forgotten, but my location actually is in my profile. I still think it's best to ask for clarification if you need it though.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

squeakers

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 07:08:46 PM »
I must say I will usually assume north america's, since the majority of the population of the forum are there.

But: I see etiquette as a more universal thing than just USA.

Yes, but since the Dame is a US citizen all etiquette on this site tends to follow US customs. We can discuss the differences between various countries and even regional.. but when it gets down to brass tacks she has the final say on which custom is the right one (for this site, at least).
Slight side track but this is a discussion board on etiquette. In a discussion, no one has the Final Word on anything, even if they do know quite a bit. Ehelldame is a board adminstrator, she's not a tyrant.

The majority of the posters here are American, and so is Ehelldame, but that doesn't mean this board is exclusively about American etiquette or that it's always the correct one or anything.

Well: "My target audiences are USAians and the etiquette that has and will continue to come out of this site will reflect traditional USA etiquette values and standards."  http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=68151.msg1611072#msg1611072
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 11:11:53 PM »
I decided to do something about it by... well, you can see it without even going to check my profile

<--------------

I'll jump on that bandwagon!

i beat both of you...my location is in my user name!  i was either really ahead of my time when i changed it a few years back, or just lazy.  you decide.  ;D

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 11:34:04 PM »
I decided to do something about it by... well, you can see it without even going to check my profile

<--------------

i beat both of you...my location is in my user name!  i was either really ahead of my time when i changed it a few years back, or just lazy.  you decide.  ;D

I've always meant to ask... how *is* Vienna?   I bet it's lovely, if you can overlook all the tiny wieners.

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 12:07:48 AM »

<--------------

I've always meant to ask... how *is* Vienna?   I bet it's lovely, if you can overlook all the tiny wieners.
:P :P :P :P  ;)

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 12:51:52 AM »
I must say I will usually assume north america's, since the majority of the population of the forum are there.

Yes, but since the Dame is a US citizen all etiquette on this site tends to follow US customs. We can discuss the differences between various countries and even regional.. but when it gets down to brass tacks she has the final say on which custom is the right one (for this site, at least).
Slight side track but this is a discussion board on etiquette. In a discussion, no one has the Final Word on anything, even if they do know quite a bit. Ehelldame is a board adminstrator, she's not a tyrant.

The majority of the posters here are American, and so is Ehelldame, but that doesn't mean this board is exclusively about American etiquette or that it's always the correct one or anything.

Well: "My target audiences are USAians and the etiquette that has and will continue to come out of this site will reflect traditional USA etiquette values and standards."  http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=68151.msg1611072#msg1611072
Oh.

I suddenly feel unwelcome.  ???

Maybe I'll just pretend I never saw that? ;D

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 01:03:33 AM »

<--------------

Hey, mine too. Oh, wait. You meant places that don't only exist in science fiction? Oops.  ;D

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Wry Exchange

• Appalachia, USA
    • Wry Exchange
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 01:18:06 AM »
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=24420.0
I asked about this option a few years ago, and Ehell Dame responded in the thread.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 01:31:06 AM »
That is a good option. And putting a little flag in your sig would look cool.

Spoder

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »

Oh.

At least you're on the right continent, Nurv. I just barged in like an out-of-place koala.  ;D

Spoder

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 01:47:53 AM »

<--------------

I forum-ly love you, Traska.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 01:58:21 AM »

Oh.

Yeah, that particular post made me feel really unwelcome too  :-\ it sounded like she was saying that other countries should follow US etiquette, instead of our own etiquette mavens  :(

That made me leave the board for awhile  :( until I realized that I shouldn't let one person's opinion on one topic stop me from enjoying all the other things this board - and that person - has to offer.  :)

In other words, I pretend I never saw it either  ;)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:04:40 AM by MariaE »

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2011, 03:04:46 AM »

A big ol' heck yeah to that sentiment.  A pet peeve of mine (it more makes me laugh than makes me mad, though) is seeing this on any internet forum:  "This is America!!"

Uh, no it's not.  It's the internet.  You're just sitting in America.

Agreed. And I'll add that especially as (although not limited to by any means) an American, its a good idea to continually examine our own ideas and others' (other cultures and American subcultures) for possible incorporation into (or reasonable exclusion from) the whole. Cultural superiority (outside extremes that have been brought up before) shouldn't enter into it.
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"

Steve

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 06:23:39 AM »

Oh.

Yeah, that particular post made me feel really unwelcome too  :-\ it sounded like she was saying that other countries should follow US etiquette, instead of our own etiquette mavens  :(

That made me leave the board for awhile  :( until I realized that I shouldn't let one person's opinion on one topic stop me from enjoying all the other things this board - and that person - has to offer.  :)

In other words, I pretend I never saw it either  ;)

Thanx for the heads up, I will now not read it, so I will not have to pretend :)

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 04:24:22 PM »
Would anyone be interested in little tiny flags to put in your signatures?  If people have signatures turned off, it won't help them to know where people are from, but it might help everyone else. For an example, look at the right hand side of the bottom of this post. You should see a tiny US flag.

I have 100 such little tiny flags, so if you want me to upload a certain one, just let me know and I'll find it and give you the image to use.
Utah