Author Topic: General Aviation  (Read 1686 times)

EngineerChick

General Aviation
« on: July 24, 2011, 03:55:24 PM »
By general aviation, I mean not commercial or military aviation.  Usually small aircraft, either privately owned or rented, flown by pilots who aren't being paid to fly (but may be sharing the costs).

My question is, how popular/common is this in your region?
Talk nerdy to me.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: General Aviation
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
In my area it is extremely common.  There are lots of privately owned aircraft, including the kind that can land on water (there are a lot of lakes and waterways around here).

But I think this is to be expected in this region, which is home to one of the world's largest airplane companies.  A lot of folks around here are waaaaay into airplanes, including my husband.  But luckily he hasn't expressed an interest in owning one himself.  :)

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 04:27:05 PM »
Very common, although the business airports are trying to restrict it (more airspace for them  ::) ). I've been known to get my aviation fix plane-spotting from the back garden.

JoW

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »
Almost unheard of.  I know one guy who has - or at least had - a pilot's licence because he used to work for an airline.  He hasn't flown a plane since he left that job. 

The rest of the people I know do not have a pilot's licence and see no need to get one.  This includes the guy who has a Ferari.  He can reach take off speed on dry land but he isn't legal to fly a plane. 

I live in Omaha.  Its the biggest city in Nebraska.  If you go out into the rural areas you would probably find more pilots - crop dusters.  Still, flying is expensive and I-80 ie easy to find. 

Anyanka

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:14:32 PM »
There's around 15 water-landing planes  on the lake we live next to. Our neighbours run a holiday cabin in north Wuebec and they fly out every week.
Even Vengence Demons have feelings

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »
It's very common here (N. California).  DH is a private pilot.  There are communities here built around airports where instead of garages houses have hangers.  It seems to be a fairly common hobby.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 05:53:08 PM »
I don't know about the past decade or so but pretty common.  My grandpa built and flew his own plane.  My mom toook a few lessons.  my uncle got his lisence but never owned his own plane.  There was a small local airfield on the land next to the old family homestead.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 11:39:51 AM »
Because we live in the NYC area, General Aviation (herein abbreviated as GA) is very common. 

Teterboro airport in New Jersey is almost entirely GA.  There also seem to be a good deal of GA traffic out of La Guardia.  It's a little annoying to be on a big jet flying coast-to-coast and get stuck behind a line of 4 to 6 passenger planes on the tarmac.

There is a movement in the USA to turn small airports over to the control of GA companies.  Lebanon, New Hampshire is an example. 

A few years ago we visited Mom in late December.  Our plane was delayed because the airport didn't have the proper de-icing equipment.  That had to be hauled over from the GA installation on the other side of the road.   

Shopaholic

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 10:52:39 AM »
I live in Israel, and it's not as popular as it can be because of the high prices.

There are a number of small airports/landing fields in the country, and DH has a friend who has a share in two planes (together with about 30 other people). Once they took a plane for a day, stopped at Eilat, took a dip in the Red Sea, had a cup of coffee, and got back to work in time for lunch. It's great fun, but very expensive!

jibby

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 03:44:48 PM »
It's somewhere between common and uncommon in DH's hometown, where our business is located.  It's a three-hour drive to the nearest city/"real" airport in good weather with no accidents or construction (a situation which I believe to be a cruel urban legend).  I can think of about 7 close friends off the top of my head who own small planes and have a pilot's license.  I know of many more.  Several are farmers who have landing space on their property.  Definitely makes travel easier.  DH and I live two hours from the nearest decent airport and it's a major hassle (I grew up about 15 minutes from said airport).

DH really wants his pilot's license and a plane.  I told him sure, as soon as we win the lotto on the tickets we don't buy.  :D