Author Topic: I'm coming to America in 2012.  (Read 4525 times)

MasterofSquirrels

• hi.
Re: I'm coming to America in 2012.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 12:04:45 PM »
if Salem is too pricey...i know that the costs explode for Halloween... try staying in Newburyport MA (it's still expensive, but maybe not as much as Salem).. it's only a stop or 2 on the commuter line from Salem.. so it's easy to navigate...just know that the commuter line stops running at midnight i think...

i did Halloween in Salem before... just once.. it was super crowded and the bars were next to impossible to get in too... (we knew a guy who let us in) otherwise? think looong lines and lots of velvet rope.

i wish we had gone during the day and did the museams...

ps.. remember it's Salem MA... Salem NH isn't that far from there... you can stay in NH, but you would have to drive or take the train from Haverhill or Lawrence... either way... you would need a car. Salem NH has no public transit.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 01:09:36 PM »
I only know SF. Must-see there:

The Golden Gate Bridge
Alamo Square and the Painted Ladies (the pretty painted Victorian houses)
Fisherman's Wharf
Ride the cable cars
The really twisty section of Lombard Street

If you can: Fort Point (they have a guided tour), Twin Peaks (I walked it up, as you can see in my avatar. You get a view of the whole city.). The Castro is worth seeing but it's very ... free-spirited so it might not be for everyone.

I love San Francisco. It's one of the most wonderful cities in the world.

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 02:26:31 PM »
As for Washington, DC, I highly recommend the twilight tour of the city. If I recall correctly you can get tickets either at your hotel or at Union Station. There's the spy museum, a Newseum (although I've never been to either one), the Library of Congress (they have a Gutenberg Bible on display plus you can look into the reading room!), the Holocaust museum (it's emotionally draining but totally worth it), the Capitol building, etc. Oh, by the way, if you're lucky you can see the Hope Diamond at the National Museum of Natural History (part of the Smithsonian).

As for lodging, I recommend the Hotel Harrington. It's near Ford's Theatre, very reasonably priced, and within walking distance of everything.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »
DC:

The George Washington Masonic Memorial;in Alexandria, VA:  http://gwmemorial.org/index.php

It is to goggle.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

StressedGroom

• Mr. Goblue2539
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 02:36:03 PM »
You are hitting Vegas at a bad time, that is trade show season.  I would check the standard Vegas tourist sites for places on the strip (which is key for the true Vegas experience).  If you can't find a deal on the strip, I'd recommend the Orleans.  It's off the strip, but has a strip shuttle, is reasonably priced, and has some good restaurants.  When I would travel to Vegas for work in the busy season I always stayed there.

Maujer

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 03:17:13 PM »
if Salem is too pricey...i know that the costs explode for Halloween... try staying in Newburyport MA (it's still expensive, but maybe not as much as Salem).. it's only a stop or 2 on the commuter line from Salem.. so it's easy to navigate...just know that the commuter line stops running at midnight i think...

i did Halloween in Salem before... just once.. it was super crowded and the bars were next to impossible to get in too... (we knew a guy who let us in) otherwise? think looong lines and lots of velvet rope.

i wish we had gone during the day and did the museams...

ps.. remember it's Salem MA... Salem NH isn't that far from there... you can stay in NH, but you would have to drive or take the train from Haverhill or Lawrence... either way... you would need a car. Salem NH has no public transit.

Newburyport is about six stops away from Salem, but it's still a good option. Downtown Newburyport is a little further from the Commuter Rail station (15 - 20 minute walk on the Rail Trail) but you could also get a cab or pedicab to take you to your hotel. In my personal opinion, it's more charming and less touristy (or touristy in a different way) than Salem and you may get a better deal on your hotel. It's probably a 30 - 35 minute train ride to Salem and an hour train ride to Boston on the same line.

You can definitely walk into town from the Salem commuter rail station. I like the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem. If you're looking for an interesting, local bar/restaurant, check out In a Pig's Eye on Derby Street. They have jazz on Friday afternoons/evenings.

By the by, public transit is definitely the way to go with Salem in October. There's also a commuter ferry that leaves from Boston, but it's seasonal and may not be running in October.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 03:18:46 PM by Maujer »

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 03:34:52 PM »
2. Drive from San Fran to Vegas will take about 6-8 hours.

Vegas - Check out the Fremont Experience in the downtown area.  Fitzgeralds, California Club, Four Queens are not too pricy on rooms. Weekdays are the best rates. Avoid weekends if you can. Also there are some great tour bus options that can be a great way to spend a day. Hoover Dam, Ethel M Chocolate Factory, etc.

There are litterally tons of places to get a vowl renewal. Depending on the place you choose there may/may not be a wait. Check out Vegas.com for a listings and contact information.

While nearby you may want to check out the Grand Canyon - about 3-4 hour drive from Vegas.

6-7 Hour drive from Vegas....If you are anywhere in the area of Phoenix, AZ weather will be absolutely beautiful for the time of year (70-80 F) and I know of a great 'hostel' type place you can stay for a night. (if you are not allergic to cats) PM me. Phoenix has a great zoo, tons of golf resorts and a whole host of other  'must see' places around the city. Bonus that Phoenix Airport may be cheaper airfare to places on the east coast because it's a main hub for several airlines. (as opposed to Las Vegas's airport)

Arizona

Hillcatlady

• "I cannot live without books" ~ Thomas Jefferson
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 03:53:16 PM »
Actually, for Whitehouse tours, it looks like they are still doing them. At least they don't say on the website that they have stopped. They also have information on how to request a tour if you are not a US citizen. (I was looking into this recently, as Wally and I were talking about going to DC next year.)

http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/tours-and-events

One comment about the White House tours, it may take several months to get a tour confirmed and even then you my not get a confirmation until a week or so before you are due to arrive in DC.
When I went, we requested a tour 8 months in advance and then did not receive approval until two days before we were due in DC, so please do not plan your DC day round a White House tour only.

As for the Smithsonian, the American Indian museum had the best food!

katycoo

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 07:06:34 PM »
So depressed right now:

While the White House reopened to tours in 2005, visitors must commence security clearance procedures weeks in advance of a visit, with no guarantee that the visit will be approved.  This process is particularly complex and time-consuming for non-US citizens.  Unfortunately, the Embassy of Australia is not able to support this process for the large number of Australians who visit Washington every year.

Anyone know how I might be able to apply for a tour myself?  I know the odds of getting one are low - but they're lower if I don't apply!

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 07:12:12 PM »
Oh, kam, that sucks. I'm sorry.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 07:40:35 PM »
The official White House page says you have to talk to your embassy in Washington, D.C. for the process.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

ncgal

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 08:06:48 PM »
when we did DC a few years ago, the best thing we did was purchase day passed for the subway.  Just remember, I dont think you can use the day passes before 9 am, but price for a single trip before 9 am is not a bad price is you are out and about before then.   

katycoo

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 08:17:25 PM »
The official White House page says you have to talk to your embassy in Washington, D.C. for the process.

Yes - the extract I quoted above is from the Australian embassy website.  Its bluntly says it won't help.

ncgal

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »

Yes - the extract I quoted above is from the Australian embassy website.  Its bluntly says it won't help.

Maybe your family friends can contact their senators/congressmen about getting you a ticket?

katycoo

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 06:39:33 PM »

Maybe your family friends can contact their senators/congressmen about getting you a ticket?

Ys, I'm hoping something like that can be arranged.  I also have some political connections here who may know some congressmen in the USA who might be able to assist me.  I'll certainly be looking into all options I can think of.