Author Topic: Flags for your signature  (Read 27714 times)

Scuba_Dog

Re: Flags for your signature
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2011, 12:36:58 PM »
Thank you for all of your hard work, Ticia.

I've tried to adjust my flags in a way that would alleviate the confusion/irritation, some were experiencing.  I hope it helped.

Hi Scuba_Dog.  Maybe I'm just an ignorant American but I have no idea what those flags are for and the tininess isn't helping.  I guess the best I can do is say, "Well, I know she/he isn't from the USA" which is useful information in and of itself, I suppose...

I'm guessing most people in the world would recognize a USA flag but asking us USAians to recognize the flags of other countries is just asking too much!  (I kid, I kid!)

You don't recognize the one on the right?  (The other ones are the Christian Flag and also the Marine Corps flag, which are pretty small, maybe I'll make them bigger and add a Jesus fish...)

Or....

Maybe I'll just do the USA flag with the Texas below it, as I think that was the intended purpose to begin with.  Identify where you are from, that's it-- Not where you are from, along with other things that are completely irrelevant to the forum.  It's not necessary, it's kind of silly and makes me  ::) ???

There was a method to my madness, I just think I was the only one who got it...  That happens sometimes...   ;)  Fail on my part. 

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Betelnut

« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2011, 01:26:08 PM »
I probably would have recognized the Marine Corps flag if it were bigger.  The Christian flag no way--I didn't realize such a thing existed until this thread (I'm from the USA but not Christian so it is off my radar).
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2011, 02:47:38 AM »
I probably would have recognized the Marine Corps flag if it were bigger.  The Christian flag no way--I didn't realize such a thing existed until this thread (I'm from the USA but not Christian so it is off my radar).

I'm Christian but not from the US. I didn't even know that such a thing as a Christian flag even existed! :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2011, 09:58:12 AM »
I'm Christian but not from the US. I didn't even know that such a thing as a Christian flag even existed! :)

I'm a Christian too, and I didn't either!

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2011, 10:26:29 AM »
I like MariaE's approach with her two flags - Denmark and New Zealand and her explanation below it.

Could we have a convention for putting flags in?  Current country of residence on the far right, with other countries that the poster identifies with to the left of the country of residence?  And then any other (non country) flags the poster wishes to identify any other affiliation on the left hand side.

What do you guys think?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2011, 11:58:31 AM »
I like MariaE's approach with her two flags - Denmark and New Zealand and her explanation below it.

Could we have a convention for putting flags in?  Current country of residence on the far right, with other countries that the poster identifies with to the left of the country of residence?  And then any other (non country) flags the poster wishes to identify any other affiliation on the left hand side.

What do you guys think?

Honestly, I think the flags should be representative of our geographic locations only.  Everything else, IMO, is irrelevant to the forum and really seems to be skirting around many of the well established rules.

JMO, YMMV.
Winston Churchill

MariaE

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2011, 12:46:21 PM »

What do you guys think?

Honestly, I think the flags should be representative of our geographic locations only.  Everything else, IMO, is irrelevant to the forum and really seems to be skirting around many of the well established rules.

JMO, YMMV.

No more than signatures do. I know there was a thread about religious signatures once, and the consensus (IIRC) was that as long as it wasn't proselytizing, it was allowed. I'd assume the same would go for political stances.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2011, 12:51:31 PM »

What do you guys think?

JMO, YMMV.

No more than signatures do. I know there was a thread about religious signatures once, and the consensus (IIRC) was that as long as it wasn't proselytizing, it was allowed. I'd assume the same would go for political stances.

Based on the forum rules, I wouldn't.
Winston Churchill

MariaE

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »

What do you guys think?

JMO, YMMV.

Just want to elaborate, I meant political as "Pro-Marines", "Supporting POW", "Pro Pirates" etc. I wouldn't assume it about party politics either. Sure, none of you (or few, anyway) would have a clue what it meant if I had a flag with a purple "B" on it, but still ;)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2011, 01:08:18 PM »
I haven't seen anything represented in a flag yet that I didn't already know through posting (aside from locations).  I don't think simply knowing that someone is a Christian, or a lesbian, or an atheist, or whatever, is really an issue.  Those are all things that come up in conversation here regularly.

As far as I'm aware, stating your political leanings is forbidden, period.  At least one poster was banned for having a political signature during the last presidential election (I believe it was either a donkey or an elephant, but I didn't see it myself).  It's not a risk I would take.  Even when it's relevant somehow, most posters just say Party A and Party B or something.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2011, 01:12:08 PM »

What do you guys think?

JMO, YMMV.

Just want to elaborate, I meant political as "Pro-Marines", "Supporting POW", "Pro Pirates" etc. I wouldn't assume it about party politics either. Sure, none of you (or few, anyway) would have a clue what it meant if I had a flag with a purple "B" on it, but still ;)

Oops!  Sorry, I did misread that.  I understand what you mean then.

I still think we should limit to the geographic location, but to each their own.
Winston Churchill

MariaE

« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2011, 01:20:37 PM »

What do you guys think?

JMO, YMMV.

Oops!  Sorry, I did misread that.  I understand what you mean then.

I still think we should limit to the geographic location, but to each their own.

Nah, I was being unclear. Thanks for pointing it out, so I could explain :)

I think we should limit it to the geographic location(s) we identify with (obviously, since I have two ;)  ) for simplicity's sake, but I don't mind the other flags terribly.

Shea

« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2011, 05:13:52 PM »

What do you guys think?

Hmm, I was wondering about that. I'm American but live in Canada. I'm not sure I should put a Canadian flag because I'm not Canadian, but I'm not actually located in the US.

Am probably overthinking this ::).

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2011, 07:19:39 PM »
I would put both in your case, Shea.  Citizenship doesn't matter much, when it comes to etiquette, just environment and experience.

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2011, 09:45:57 PM »
If we're doing religious flags as well, I respectfully request we add more, including but not limited to the following:

Star of David/Flag of Israel
Buddhist Flag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Buddhist_flag.svg
Pentagram
A symbol for Islam
Atomic Whirl (Atheism) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AtheismLogo.png

Just to clear this up, are you requesting any of these for yourself to use, or just for more of a general "these should be on the list of flags available"? I'm more than happy to make any flags that are specifically requested, but I don't really want to take the time to make a whole list of flags that might or might not be used. Just like I didn't put up 100 country flags, even though I've already got them on my computer. And that's a simple upload to my Picasa account, and then getting and posting the links here. For all these other flags I have to do a lot more, including searching for the image if one isn't linked to.

If it's just that, now that I've volunteered to do this, I *have* to have this list of flags so that no one feels left out... nope. I'm not going to do that.

Anyone can PM me to request a flag, by the way. Several of the flags on the first post have been requested through private message.

Also, anyone can make pretty much any flag that they want to, themselves... (baring political flags, of course) If anyone makes a flag and wants to share it, I can certainly add it to my list on the first post. Glad to do it.
Utah