Author Topic: Flags for your signature  (Read 27975 times)

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
Re: Flags for your signature
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2011, 10:34:54 PM »
Well, it took me a while to get the Christian, SC and US flags all in place, but I did it. Thanks again, Ticia, you're the best.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2011, 10:38:25 PM »
Well, it took me a while to get the Christian, SC and US flags all in place, but I did it. Thanks again, Ticia, you're the best.

Looks great!
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2011, 10:39:38 PM »

Looks great!

Yours, too!
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2011, 10:40:56 PM »

Looks great!

Yours, too!

Thanks!   :)
Winston Churchill

veryfluffy

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2011, 05:35:54 AM »
Excellent! Thank you!

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2011, 07:16:51 AM »
If we're doing religious flags as well, I respectfully request we add more, including but not limited to the following:

Star of David/Flag of Israel
Buddhist Flag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Buddhist_flag.svg
Pentagram
A symbol for Islam
Atomic Whirl (Atheism) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AtheismLogo.png
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2011, 07:49:20 AM »
If we're doing religious flags as well, I respectfully request we add more, including but not limited to the following:

Pentagram
A symbol for Islam

I thought the point of these flags was just to show your location because that can help when it's relevant to a thread. The idea was to identify you so that it becomes more obvious to those who respond to your posts that you for example are not in the USA.

I am really uncomfortable with the religious etc flags. It somehow goes against how we view religion on this board - we don't discuss it unless it is totally relevant to a thread.

I remember discussion about religious signature lines before and I don't see how this is any different?
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2011, 07:49:57 AM »
Please would it be possible to have the English flag, the cross of St George?

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2011, 10:14:23 AM »

Pentagram
A symbol for Islam

I thought the point of these flags was just to show your location because that can help when it's relevant to a thread. The idea was to identify you so that it becomes more obvious to those who respond to your posts that you for example are not in the USA.

I am really uncomfortable with the religious etc flags. It somehow goes against how we view religion on this board - we don't discuss it unless it is totally relevant to a thread.

I remember discussion about religious signature lines before and I don't see how this is any different?
I'm with you. This is really getting out of hand. I don't need to know, nor do I WANT to know everybody's religious background. It's immaterial. I don't  need to know your sexuality or favorite charities or the fact that you think squirrels invented badmiton. It started out as a helpful tool and now it's become some beacon of self-portrayel that just makes the location issue even MORE confusing than it was before. Because now I have to decide if those 5 flags represent natinality, location, just some country that you love, religion or sexuality and what order they all go in.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2011, 10:40:10 AM »
I'm with you. This is really getting out of hand. I don't need to know, nor do I WANT to know everybody's religious background. It's immaterial. I don't  need to know your sexuality or favorite charities or the fact that you think squirrels invented badminton. It started out as a helpful tool and now it's become some beacon of self-portrayal that just makes the location issue even MORE confusing than it was before. Because now I have to decide if those 5 flags represent nationality, location, just some country that you love, religion or sexuality and what order they all go in.

To be fair, though, many general (non-flag) signature images on this board (and indeed avatars) encompass that information too. I "don't need to know" how old someone's kids are, or how cute their pets are (by the same token, I'm sure people couldn't care less about my RWC teams either ;) ), but I'm not bothered by posters having such images in their signatures.

I'm actually quite fond of the wee flags as signature images because they're tiny & tidier than large images.

If the stacking up of various flags is causing confusion (and I can certainly appreciate how it could), then perhaps one solution would be to request that one single flag for geographical location remains right-aligned in the poster's signature box, and any others left-aligned on the opposite side of the signature box. This would make it more straightforward for posters who simply wish to quickly check where another poster is located.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:45:26 AM by Ferrets »

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2011, 10:48:22 AM »
I think there is a major difference between the regularly seen tickers here and declaring one's religious beliefs when they aren't in any way relevant to the discussion at hand.

And I for one really want to see your RWC teams.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2011, 10:54:20 AM »
Ferrets, I find your Rugby images highly offensive.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2011, 11:01:30 AM »
Ferrets, I find your Rugby images highly offensive.

Well, of course you do. What with Ireland thrashing the USA 22-10, and all... >:D

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2011, 11:29:53 AM »
I'm with you. This is really getting out of hand. I don't need to know, nor do I WANT to know everybody's religious background. It's immaterial. I don't  need to know your sexuality or favorite charities or the fact that you think squirrels invented badminton. It started out as a helpful tool and now it's become some beacon of self-portrayal that just makes the location issue even MORE confusing than it was before. Because now I have to decide if those 5 flags represent nationality, location, just some country that you love, religion or sexuality and what order they all go in.

To be fair, though, many general (non-flag) signature images on this board (and indeed avatars) encompass that information too. I "don't need to know" how old someone's kids are, or how cute their pets are (by the same token, I'm sure people couldn't care less about my RWC teams either ;) ), but I'm not bothered by posters having such images in their signatures.

I'm actually quite fond of the wee flags as signature images because they're tiny & tidier than large images.

If the stacking up of various flags is causing confusion (and I can certainly appreciate how it could), then perhaps one solution would be to request that one single flag for geographical location remains right-aligned in the poster's signature box, and any others left-aligned on the opposite side of the signature box. This would make it more straightforward for posters who simply wish to quickly check where another poster is located.

I think you make a good point.  (I've also never seen the Christian flag combined with the rainbow one.  I like that.)
Winston Churchill

Goodnight Kiwi

• Formerly Lucylou
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2011, 11:37:51 AM »
Thanks Ticia!  These are awesome.

Awwww, and my little NZ flag looks so cute.  (Yeah, I'm still in the UK, but I'll be back home in NZ for good in less than 2 months!)