Author Topic: Alton Brown's manifesto to fans  (Read 18509 times)

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
Re: Alton Brown's manifesto to fans
« Reply #90 on: September 27, 2011, 01:45:34 PM »
immadz:  Well done.   8)

penelope2017:  Believe me, we get plenty frustrated at the policymakers.  In a perfect world, none of that frustration would bleed off onto the parents, but it's an unfortunate natural reaction.  I never did and never would say anything to the parents taking advantage of the policy - I don't expect them to be able to see it (invisible discrepancy) - but the frustration/resentment did build.  It's inevitable, and that's another reason to change such policies.  In the case of businesses, even more of a reason to change/amend such policies is the business that's being lost.

In Alton's specific case, I wonder if it'd be better or even feasible to build two start times - an earlier one for families with children and a later one billed as "adults only."  Of course, there are always snowflakes that will bring their little ones to the later time, but that could be handled case-by-case. 

Meh, it'd probably never work.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Rohanna

« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2011, 02:35:17 PM »
I just love how when someone wants to ban children from an event, and make it adults only, that it's "your event so it's your right I do what you want" in he thread", but if someone wants to cater to children a little it's suddenly unfair- even though it's still "their event".
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »
I just love how when someone wants to ban children from an event, and make it adults only, that it's "your event so it's your right I do what you want" in he thread", but if someone wants to cater to children a little it's suddenly unfair- even though it's still "their event".

It's only unfair when an event is billed as being for both children and adults and yet those adults without children are treated worse than those with children. If I, as an adult without children, go to an event for both adults and children and pay the same price (or more), I expect to get treated the same. There's nothing wrong with events targeted toward children and their parents, but it's a bit unfair to say it is for young and old alike but discriminate against those who, for whatever reason, are there sans children.
The status is not quo!

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2011, 03:16:51 PM »

To be frank, the attitude evident in this response doesn't help smooth the inevitable friction in situations like this.  I appreciate those who, once made aware of the discrepancy, show a bit of understanding.  I try to do the same.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

immadz

« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »

It's only unfair when an event is billed as being for both children and adults and yet those adults without children are treated worse than those with children. If I, as an adult without children, go to an event for both adults and children and pay the same price (or more), I expect to get treated the same. There's nothing wrong with events targeted toward children and their parents, but it's a bit unfair to say it is for young and old alike but discriminate against those who, for whatever reason, are there sans children.

I agree. I don't expect to get into Chuck E cheese or go to the front of the line at a children's petting zoo or even sit in a children's story time in the library. If however, I am at a venue which is a book signing for a genre that doesn't cater to 3 year olds, then I expect both parents and non-parents to wait their turn in line.

Rohanna

« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2011, 04:08:36 PM »

To be frank, the attitude evident in this response doesn't help smooth the inevitable friction in situations like this.  I appreciate those who, once made aware of the discrepancy, show a bit of understanding.  I try to do the same.

Where is the understating coming from "the other side" though ? All I have seen is people expressing that parents are entitled, SS's, that the children "must" be misbehaving and are being rewarded for it... The "attitude" had hardly started with me here. One PP has mentioned that it was natural for her single adult frustration to spill over on parents, so can it not go the other way too?

I would not normally bring my child to an adult event, but the star o this event has indicated his wishes, so to make statements that people are entitled or rude for bringing kids and taking advantage of a perk he wishes to offer... Well I just frankly find that insulting.

Excuse me, but I need to go rail against Mcdonalds for offering free coffee to seniors. They should pay just like anyone else! ....
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2011, 04:25:13 PM »
Well, I have a 2 and 4 yr old and I'd love to know where you are finding these businesses that I'm missing out on that continually move families to the front of the line. Can you enlighten me?

Every airline I've ever flown does it, on every flight I've ever taken.
Words mean things.

Rohanna

« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »
True, but if those with young children (or other assistance - eg handicaps or infirmities) need help leaving, they *leave* last. On top of that, it's really not the same as a true "line", as you are all getting to your destination at the same time (one hopes)- boarding early does not get you faster service, as it were.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2011, 05:05:15 PM »
Please cease the pro v anti child, or whatever you call it, arguments, or thread will be locked.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

LibChick

« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2011, 08:24:03 PM »
Well, I have a 2 and 4 yr old and I'd love to know where you are finding these businesses that I'm missing out on that continually move families to the front of the line. Can you enlighten me?

Southwest does not.

immadz

« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2011, 09:01:44 PM »

Southwest does not.

They did the last time I flew them. Business first, then families with small children and persons with disabilities and then regular boarding by zone....

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »
The way I see it Alton Brown as a private citizen has a right to have any policies he wants for his book signings. And if you (you in general) don't like his polices or feel he's favoring one group of people over another then you can choose to not go to his book signings. That's your choice and your right. I'm sure he has his reasons for doing things that way but no you don't have to like them. One could always write a letter of complaint to him about it if they feel strongly enough.

Ed.

Rohanna

« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2011, 10:46:34 PM »
When I go to a feast after a Pow Wow or other event (even my in-laws family events such as wedding buffets or family reunions), it is expected that I defer my spot in line to any of the elders- in fact, with any elders that I know personally it is considered a nice gesture to prepare them a plate with all of their favourites/the best stuff and hand deliver it (there's an old joke that runs: when you're young, you bring the pretty girls the treats at a feast, and you know you're old when they start bringing them to you)

At those events first come first serve does not apply- and it would be very rude to demand it because that's how *I* prefer it, or how I think it's fair. Cultural expectations or personal preferences apply at these kind of events- unless they contravene actual laws (like, you can't decide to commit homicide on anyone wearing the wrong hat to your book signing, and claim "your rules"  ;) )

bluedahlia

« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2011, 11:29:08 PM »
When I go to a feast after a Pow Wow or other event (even my in-laws family events such as wedding buffets or family reunions), it is expected that I defer my spot in line to any of the elders- in fact, with any elders that I know personally it is considered a nice gesture to prepare them a plate with all of their favourites/the best stuff and hand deliver it (there's an old joke that runs: when you're young, you bring the pretty girls the treats at a feast, and you know you're old when they start bringing them to you)

At those events first come first serve does not apply- and it would be very rude to demand it because that's how *I* prefer it, or how I think it's fair. Cultural expectations or personal preferences apply at these kind of events- unless they contravene actual laws (like, you can't decide to commit homicide on anyone wearing the wrong hat to your book signing, and claim "your rules"  ;) )

Well said.

buvezdevin

« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2011, 11:39:15 PM »
Rohanna, I can well understand what you speak of regarding family traditions - my many years of family reunions have had similar practices.  And, not being familiar with what may constitute a "Pow Wow" outside your family gatherings, my only comment would be that any precedence beyond first come first served may be the agreed upon norm for a communal gathering.  In the case of a purely public gathering, the organizers may apply rules which do or do not meet the *desires* of all who may wish to attend.

You point out that your desire/expectation of any different practice than that established for an event governed by family culture would be rude, and while you don't say so expressly, I presume you mean the same would apply regarding a request for a practice other than is in place for a public event.  But I did want to ask if that is so.  My posts are not always as clear to others as they seem to me, and your statement that "cultural or personal preferences apply" had me wondering if you meant either applies, or one applies unless the other contradicts, or simply that majority view should apply.  Because postings can be open to various reads, I do not mean that as a snarky question, but literal reader that I may be, wanted to ask for clarification.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain