Author Topic: Alton Brown's manifesto to fans  (Read 16663 times)

TeamBhakta

Alton Brown's manifesto to fans
« on: September 20, 2011, 02:21:46 PM »
Food celebrity Alton Brown has written a manifesto to his fans . Thoughts on this ? Do you consider it rude, logical, something else...?

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
Re: Alton Brown's manifesto to fans
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 02:30:34 PM »
I have no problem with it.  All fans of all people should follow those requests. 

Cyradis

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 02:32:53 PM »
I have no problem with it.  All fans of all people should follow those requests.

I don't have a problem with it either, I just find it very sad that adults have to be explicitly told how to behave decently.

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 02:36:59 PM »
The only one I had a problem with was families with small children "coming to the front of line".  My time is just as valuable as theirs and they shouldn't get special treatment.  Other than that, his requests are completely reasonable and it is sad that he has to outline them.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 02:37:53 PM »
I think he's being exceptionally nice, especially in regards to running across him in public.

If you encounter me out in the world and want an autograph or to take a picture with me I will say “yes” if I can possibly manage the time. If I am with my family I will probably still say “yes”, but I will want to move away from my family to do so. If you purposely take a picture a picture of my family I will go freakin’ ballistic. I’m quasi-famous, they’re not. They enjoy certain rights I have sacrificed by choosing to be a cable-ebrity and as a husband and father I will protect their rights to the fullest

I don't think you should bother celebrities while they're out and about trying to be normal.  At official publicity events, of course it's expected, but when they're out trying to just live their lives, they should be left alone.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 02:38:06 PM »
The only one I had a problem with was families with small children "coming to the front of line".  My time is just as valuable as theirs and they shouldn't get special treatment. 

Oops, I didn't see that one. 

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 02:49:30 PM »
I suspect he has the families come up front to avoid the crying/whining that can come along with long waits.

I think he spells out what is reasonable to expect very well.  The only real problem I would have is that when he is out and about and not working I think he, as well as any other celebrity, should be left alone.

HermioneGranger

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 02:51:03 PM »
I suspect he has the families come up front to avoid the crying/whining that can come along with long waits.

I think he spells out what is reasonable to expect very well.  The only real problem I would have is that when he is out and about and not working I think he, as well as any other celebrity, should be left alone.

That was my thought as well, condering his comment about getting them out of there so that they go home and get to bed at a reasonable hour. 

MaggieB

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 03:01:01 PM »
I think he's being pretty darn gracious.  I mean, he OK'd fans waiting for him outside of the restroom.   :P

I understand the policy of wanting to get young kids through quickly, and it wouldn't bother me much if I were in line.  But I hope that him "publicizing" that he does this doesn't mean more families showing up and expecting to be able to cut the line.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 03:13:50 PM »
Apart from the fact that if people all behaved with a modicum of courtesy and mutual respect, this would be unnecessary, the manifesto seems perfectly reasonable to me - including about the small children, especially if the parents aren't snowflakes.  We all know that children get tired and cranky and have lower coping skills and fewer articulation skills.  Parents often disregard this in favor of what they want, to the detriment of all. 

AB is doing what he can to mitigate the damage. 

Moreover, he is using his words.  He is telling you what he expects, and where the lines are. 
•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 03:15:15 PM »

That was my thought as well, condering his comment about getting them out of there so that they go home and get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Still disagree with that policy.  If the kids can't handle waiting ion line, get a sitter.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 03:18:32 PM »
I may not like it, but it is his event and he has the right to make the rules, much like I have the right to throw an adults-only wedding or open a kids-only play place.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

EMuir

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »
I like it.  I'm thinking he really phrased the part about "allowing families to come to the front of the line" well.  I read between the lines and got "Nobody wants to listen to your screaming toddler who doesn't even know who I am, so please get up here and get out."  But he said it so nicely! :)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 03:27:33 PM »
I think he's being pretty darn gracious.  I mean, he OK'd fans waiting for him outside of the restroom.   :P

I'm reminded of the story Montel Williams and the late Josh Ryan Evans (Timmy from Passions) told together years ago. Both of them had fans ask for a handshake or an autograph in men's restrooms.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 03:28:19 PM »

I understand the policy of wanting to get young kids through quickly, and it wouldn't bother me much if I were in line.  But I hope that him "publicizing" that he does this doesn't mean more families showing up and expecting to be able to cut the line.

Maybe childless folks can rent a child for the day. ;)

I think his rules are very sensible. It's a shame such things have to be written down. I have requested (and obtained) autographs at official events or stage door but I've never bothered a celebrity who just happened to walk by.