Author Topic: Alton Brown's manifesto to fans  (Read 19557 times)

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
Re: Alton Brown's manifesto to fans
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 03:29:07 PM »
I like it.  I'm thinking he really phrased the part about "allowing families to come to the front of the line" well.  I read between the lines and got "Nobody wants to listen to your screaming toddler who doesn't even know who I am, so please get up here and get out."  But he said it so nicely! :)

That's the way I read it too. He's got kids. He gets it. Get them out sooner so that the rest can enjoy the time. My time is valuable too, yes, but so are my eardrums.

I actually think the whole thing is pretty reasonable. I am a big Alton fan (I love his subgtle snarkiness)and would love to go to one of the book signings!

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 03:46:38 PM »
I like it.  I'm thinking he really phrased the part about "allowing families to come to the front of the line" well.  I read between the lines and got "Nobody wants to listen to your screaming toddler who doesn't even know who I am, so please get up here and get out."  But he said it so nicely! :)

That's the way I read it too. He's got kids. He gets it. Get them out sooner so that the rest can enjoy the time. My time is valuable too, yes, but so are my eardrums.

I actually think the whole thing is pretty reasonable. I am a big Alton fan (I love his subgtle snarkiness)and would love to go to one of the book signings!

So would I, but the one near me is an hour before I take lunch, and I really cannot take off three hours to get to the location moderately before the signing, and wait through the line.  Signed books are not *that* important to me. 
•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

HermioneGranger

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »

So would I, but the one near me is an hour before I take lunch, and I really cannot take off three hours to get to the location moderately before the signing, and wait through the line.  Signed books are not *that* important to me.

The one closest to me is on a weekend that I'll be out of town (in the complete opposite direction.)   Sigh.   :(

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 04:28:29 PM »
POD from a big Alton Brown fan.  I think this is a great list that shows he's as gracious a guy as he appears to be on TV.  It also makes me look forward to getting his new book when he comes to Fair City.  And if I'm able to go to the book signing, I promise I'll leave my kid at home.

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 04:47:45 PM »
I may not like it, but it is his event and he has the right to make the rules, much like I have the right to throw an adults-only wedding or open a kids-only play place.

Very true.  His event, he gets to call the shots.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

buvezdevin

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 04:52:31 PM »
Slightly off topic, but  related to AB.

Just over  a year ago, I went to one of the two live shows which were taped and editted to form the Good Easts 10th anniversary show (it was great fun).  The programs for the event were pretty standard several stapled pages, with a couple of cards gum attached inside and removeable.  First card was like a postcard, the second card is a paper-backed sticker, about 2 by 4 inches, with AB's signature in red marker (not auto-pen, actually signed) clearly done to allow one to adhere it inside a book and have a pseudo-signed copy.

I thought the signed 'bookplate" was a thoughtful idea, and on the way out I noticed that there were stacks of programs which had not been handed out.  Since we were at the second (evening) performance, I thought they could not be of further use, and asked an usher if I could take extras.

Which is how quite a few of these made their way to my home.  I have four of the programs left, with the sticker autograph, and would be happy to mail one to any AB fans (up to four, of course) who care to provide a mailing address by PM.  They aren't "valuable" but are fun to have to put into his books.

On topic, I think his rules of engagement are generous. 
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 04:54:10 PM »
I was scared to read this, as I like AB quite a bit. 

What a relief.  Generous, kind, reasonable.  Just what I expected of him. 

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 05:07:08 PM »

Aside from the "your" typo --
Really? I am the first one who is going to say something? You're going to pretend you didn't see it? Ok, then... :P  -- i really like it. He is witty and seems honestly gracious. Who could ask for more?

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 05:07:39 PM »
I don't think he's come up with anything unreasonable here.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 05:40:31 PM »
I think it's OK, nothing really unreasonable or outrageous. I got into watching his show Good Eats on the Food Channel for a while. But I started to realize I didn't care for him that much, I mean I like his sense of humor to a point. But I think he's, I don't know the nicest way I can put it is I think he's kind of a stuffed shirt.

Ed.

KimberlyRose

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 05:40:49 PM »
Still disagree with that policy.  If the kids can't handle waiting ion line, get a sitter.

And when you have people lining up for your autograph, you can make that the rule.

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 06:02:47 PM »
Still disagree with that policy.  If the kids can't handle waiting ion line, get a sitter.

And when you have people lining up for your autograph, you can make that the rule.

You obviously missed the post where I agreed with that point
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 06:04:47 PM »
I think it's OK, nothing really unreasonable or outrageous. I got into watching his show Good Eats on the Food Channel for a while. But I started to realize I didn't care for him that much, I mean I like his sense of humor to a point. But I think he's, I don't know the nicest way I can put it is I think he's kind of a stuffed shirt.

Ed.

He can be a little pretentious?  Condescending?  Neither of those terms describe it exactly.  I noticed it more on the Feasting On shows and it comes across on some other things I've seen him on, but I don't watch those shows regularly so I don't know if it's a consistent thing.

Still net like the guy, though.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »

Really? I am the first one who is going to say something? You're going to pretend you didn't see it? Ok, then... :P  -- i really like it. He is witty and seems honestly gracious. Who could ask for more?

He also says opportune when he means opportunity.

This article bothered me, and I'm not sure why. I think it started when he talked about his family. I completely understand him not wanting people to take pictures of them, but when he used the phrase "freakin' ballistic," he lost me. It's weird, because I love AB and should be overlooking that phrase or considering it a joke or hyperbole. However, there are too many celebrities who do go freakin' ballistic, so I don't know.

I also didn't like the point about allowing people with kids to come to the front. It's his prerogative, but that doesn't make it not rude and thoughtless.
The status is not quo!

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 06:12:04 PM »

He also says opportune when he means opportunity.

This article bothered me, and I'm not sure why. I think it started when he talked about his family. I completely understand him not wanting people to take pictures of them, but when he used the phrase "freakin' ballistic," he lost me. It's weird, because I love AB and should be overlooking that phrase or considering it a joke or hyperbole. However, there are too many celebrities who do go freakin' ballistic, so I don't know.

I also didn't like the point about allowing people with kids to come to the front. It's his prerogative, but that doesn't make it not rude and thoughtless.

Is a blog post the same as an article?  I always anticipate that blog posts will be more stream of consciousness and written in one's personal style. 

If you find it rude that he tries to mitigate the overall impact of other people making rude choices, you don't have to go to a book signing. 
•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.