Author Topic: Alton Brown's manifesto to fans  (Read 17827 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Re: Alton Brown's manifesto to fans
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 06:22:47 PM »
He could mitigate it by asking parents not to bring children to nighttime events. He could also mitigate it by having someone on staff available to ask people with kids who are acting up to step out of line. Why does he have to mitigate others' rudeness by rewarding them and punishing those who act responsibly?
The status is not quo!

AreaWoman

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 08:20:21 PM »

Aside from the "your" typo --
Really? I am the first one who is going to say something? You're going to pretend you didn't see it? Ok, then... :P  -- i really like it. He is witty and seems honestly gracious. Who could ask for more?

He also says opportune when he means opportunity.

This article bothered me, and I'm not sure why. I think it started when he talked about his family. I completely understand him not wanting people to take pictures of them, but when he used the phrase "freakin' ballistic," he lost me. It's weird, because I love AB and should be overlooking that phrase or considering it a joke or hyperbole. However, there are too many celebrities who do go freakin' ballistic, so I don't know.
I also didn't like the point about allowing people with kids to come to the front. It's his prerogative, but that doesn't make it not rude and thoughtless.

I just want to chime in on the bolded.  I don't remember where I read it, but he had an issue where an overzealous fan posed as his wife on Twitter (even going so far as to use photos of his wife).  He was very upset and closed down his Twitter account, so that's where this comes from.  Without the backstory, it may seem kind of extreme, but I understand his feelings.

Rohanna

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 09:14:26 PM »
If he wants to let families with little kids go first, then I don't see how that is A- rude of him to do so at his own event, or B- rudeness of people to bring kids to something he's obviously encouraging them to. Maybe he doesn't want to tell them not to bring the kids because he enjoys meeting them too? I am imagining that he probably does not get enough people at these events with little kids for it to be any major delay for the rest of the attendees, or he'd have to rethink the policy.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 09:18:36 PM »
I do like that he makes a point of the fact that his family is off-limits.

I'm on the fence about the families with small children thing. One part of me is happy he wants to get the squirmy little ones out quickly - let's face it, whining children in line are NOT fun. But the other part of me goes, wait - what about those of us who have to wait longer?

A friend of mine asked him to sign a cookbook for my daughter a few years ago, and he was so very gracious to do so.

LibChick

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 10:22:05 PM »

Aside from the "your" typo --
Really? I am the first one who is going to say something? You're going to pretend you didn't see it? Ok, then... :P  -- i really like it. He is witty and seems honestly gracious. Who could ask for more?

He also says opportune when he means opportunity.

This article bothered me, and I'm not sure why. I think it started when he talked about his family. I completely understand him not wanting people to take pictures of them, but when he used the phrase "freakin' ballistic," he lost me. It's weird, because I love AB and should be overlooking that phrase or considering it a joke or hyperbole. However, there are too many celebrities who do go freakin' ballistic, so I don't know.
I also didn't like the point about allowing people with kids to come to the front. It's his prerogative, but that doesn't make it not rude and thoughtless.

I just want to chime in on the bolded.  I don't remember where I read it, but he had an issue where an overzealous fan posed as his wife on Twitter (even going so far as to use photos of his wife).  He was very upset and closed down his Twitter account, so that's where this comes from.  Without the backstory, it may seem kind of extreme, but I understand his feelings.

I read about this incident on Food Network Humor.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 10:56:04 PM »
Yes I agree aventurine, (a little) pretentious is a good word to describe the way Alton Brown comes off.

Ed.

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 10:29:40 AM »
I suspect he has the families come up front to avoid the crying/whining that can come along with long waits.

I think he spells out what is reasonable to expect very well.  The only real problem I would have is that when he is out and about and not working I think he, as well as any other celebrity, should be left alone.

That was my thought as well, condering his comment about getting them out of there so that they go home and get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Still disagree with that policy.  If the kids can't handle waiting ion line, get a sitter.

That's on the parents. This is a perfect example of "I can only control my own actions".  He can't make people get a sitter. He can't make the kids deal with the wait. What he can do is get them out of there as quickly as possible before a disruption happens.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 10:37:56 AM »
I think it's OK, nothing really unreasonable or outrageous. I got into watching his show Good Eats on the Food Channel for a while. But I started to realize I didn't care for him that much, I mean I like his sense of humor to a point. But I think he's, I don't know the nicest way I can put it is I think he's kind of a stuffed shirt.

Ed.

He can be a little pretentious?  Condescending?  Neither of those terms describe it exactly.  I noticed it more on the Feasting On shows and it comes across on some other things I've seen him on, but I don't watch those shows regularly so I don't know if it's a consistent thing.

Still net like the guy, though.

I can see why some people don't care for him. I like to think of him as "blunt". I like that about him though. AB doesn't really mince words or dumb it down, which I appreciate.
I can get pretty blunt sometimes too when it comes to certain things though so maybe it's just that I like when other people meet me that level. And he's different from the other FN stars, whom I love, but some of them can be a little, I dunno, predictable.

Nanny Ogg

• The Shrinking Lady!
    • For Your Paws
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2011, 12:20:10 PM »
Yes I agree aventurine, (a little) pretentious is a good word to describe the way Alton Brown comes off.

Ed.

Pot, kettle, black?

In any case, I think it's sad that he's had to write this. Most of the stuff on there seems like normal dos-and-don'ts, which really shouldnt have to be written down.

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2011, 01:15:58 PM »
POD AreaWoman. I felt very sad when I heard about the twitter invodent. Someone even went so far as go post a picture of his family and pretending to be his wife so I totally get where he's coming from. I also find it terrible he has to spell it out. I'm from his town in GA. while I never saw him I know many people that have. He is apparently a very nice and gracious person. I love him. 

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 01:44:50 PM »
May you non-fans be cursed with never eating a turkey brined using Alton's method & may all your Thanksgivings be foiled by dry, tasteless birds.  Curse you, I say!   >:D

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

sisbam

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »
*is now on a mission to bake a $12 pie*

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 01:01:08 AM »
I have had the good fortune to attend one of his book signings, and I can attest that in person he is, indeed, extremely gracious.  He let everyone who was getting a book signed take a photo, and he did hug me.  (Perhaps it wasn't during flu season; I don't recall.)

One thing that was neat: we were expecting either a reading or a lecture.  Instead, he did a whole hour of Q&A from the audience before the signing.  We could ask just about anything - about the show, his life, food, whatever.  One guy tried to heckle him, and he handled it beautifully.

Minmom3

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 01:04:10 PM »
The only one I had a problem with was families with small children "coming to the front of line".  My time is just as valuable as theirs and they shouldn't get special treatment.  Other than that, his requests are completely reasonable and it is sad that he has to outline them.

It's probably to get them 'over and out' as fast as possible, so the crying in his line is kept to a minimum.  Can't blame him one bit for it, either.  It's not fair to drag littles out and about to some boring signing, and they have far less ability to wait politely than we adults do, so me waiting a little bit longer, but in relative peace and quiet while the children's parents get their turn and get out is more than fine with me.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

567Kate

• Nothing could possibly go wrong with this idea.
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2011, 01:25:49 PM »
The only one I had a problem with was families with small children "coming to the front of line".  My time is just as valuable as theirs and they shouldn't get special treatment.  Other than that, his requests are completely reasonable and it is sad that he has to outline them.

It's probably to get them 'over and out' as fast as possible, so the crying in his line is kept to a minimum.  Can't blame him one bit for it, either.  It's not fair to drag littles out and about to some boring signing, and they have far less ability to wait politely than we adults do, so me waiting a little bit longer, but in relative peace and quiet while the children's parents get their turn and get out is more than fine with me.

It might not be fair if he limited his signings to a set time (so families going first might mean that adult-only groups wouldn't get autographs), but since he commits to staying for every fan, I think it's more than fair for him to pick the best order to see fans. He probably doesn't like hearing fussy kids in the long line either.