Author Topic: Alton Brown's manifesto to fans  (Read 18424 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Re: Alton Brown's manifesto to fans
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2011, 01:33:31 PM »
I don't see how it can be more than fair that someone who gets there earlier has to wait longer because people with kids get moved to the front.
The status is not quo!

567Kate

• Nothing could possibly go wrong with this idea.
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2011, 01:53:28 PM »
I don't see how it can be more than fair that someone who gets there earlier has to wait longer because people with kids get moved to the front.

Well, if it were my event, I would probably want it to be first come, first served. But since it's Alton Brown's event and he will see every fan no matter what, I think it's fair for him to determine the order that he thinks will make the event run as smoothly as possible, even if it's different from what I would want.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »
It's certainly his prerogative, but I don't think that makes it fair.
The status is not quo!

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »
Aside from the request that families with small children come to the front, I think his rules are pretty reasonable.

But he does promise to stay there until he's greeted every fan-that's more than some other celebrities I can name.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Rohanna

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2011, 02:14:36 PM »
 "Fair doesn't have to mean the same" - he may not be treating his fans exactly the same, but I would argue that by setting a Pre- arranged standard that allows all fans access to him, while minimizing discomfort to all (both the kids and people's ears), that he's being perfectly "fair".
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:17:10 AM by Rohanna »
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2011, 02:26:18 PM »
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. To me, it seems like rewarding poor decision-making.
The status is not quo!

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2011, 02:38:41 PM »
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. To me, it seems like rewarding poor decision-making.

I have to agree with WF here.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2011, 03:22:37 PM »

I can see where people have the problem with the kids going first thing but I still think it's better than the alternative. He's a father so his decison to do that likely comes from having dealt with his own kids and/or other peoples kids at his events.

I think this falls under the  and "we cannot control what other people do so we control our own actions" line of thinking.  From my understanding, his events are usually pretty family friendly so its not unreasonable to assume that kids will be there. So, during daytime events, it's likely not really an issue. For nighttime events though, this is likely where this rule comes in handy.

We all know that some parents are going to drag thier kids out with them to events even if its not the best thing fo the child. Said child is likely going to make a lot of noise, have a meltdown, make a mess, get underfoot, etc... We see posts about it all the time on this site. Maybe OURS won't (  ;) )  but the odds are pretty good that other peoples kids will. By doing this, while it seems "unfair", I think he's minimizing the problems the rest of us will have. It may take us longer to get to see him, but our time with him will be all that much more pleasureable because we won't be competing with a child having a tantrum and he likely feels like he doesn't need to rush now to get the kids out of there at a reasonable hour. And, by getting the kids out sooner, people will likely enjoy the event more because they can be "grown ups".

So while, in a sense of fairness, while I can see where it looks like rewarding poor decison making, I think it's the simplest way to eleviate problems right from the get go IMO.

snowdragon

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2011, 05:09:25 PM »
His decision to allow those with kids priority....but  it's other people's decision as to where they spend their money. If I went to one of these and he pulled the kids first line - I'd leave line return the book I was going o have signed and leave the event. As it is my respect for the man has gone down a LOT recently.

buvezdevin

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2011, 05:45:56 PM »
My DBF has previously attended an evening AB book-signing event, to get AB's signature on one of the presents DBF gave me for Christmas.  I have just asked him if there were folks with kids present for the signing (yes, but he doesn't remember how many, there were at least a few), and then asked if AB or the event organizers had those with children brought to front of line - and that was not done at least at that event.

DBF suggested (as I think did a PP) that this AB rule may have been the result of "learnings" from prior book-signing tours, which could be the case as AB has developed a pretty fair degree of experience in these events over the past many years (ten or so at least).

I understand and agree with the concept of not "rewarding" less than desirable behavior, and respect the opinions of those who would not agree with the following, which is my personal opinion:  When I've gone to book-signings (not many, but a few and not personally been to one by AB), unless it's a children's book, for an evening event, I'd be fine with those with children going first as they are generally a small percentage and I'd rather not have a child melt down impact anyone; for a day-time event, I'd think all present should be addressed in order (adults without children present during a day time event are likely to have time constraints due to work requirements); and for a book-signing of a tome aimed at children, I would also think it most reasonable to have all served in order.

Of course, those are just my thoughts on what would be reasonable, and anyone organizing a book-signing or agreeing to perform one can make the rules they want, and those who want a book signed can agree or not to whatever the rules may be (limit on number, order of line whatever) in order to get a book signed.

I'd be interested in any updates from those who may attend a future AB signing, i.e. if the "those with kids go first) rule is applied.  While AB has not announced (that I've seen) a signing in my area, I live in same area as AB, and as his next book is soon to be released, and DBF is well aware I'd love to have another signed AB book, I'll be glad to post update on any signing DBF may attend (it's hardly spoiling a surprise Christmas gift to let me know he made the extra effort to get it signed... as I've just explained to him, he just gets early extra points).
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2011, 09:52:33 PM »
Yes I agree aventurine, (a little) pretentious is a good word to describe the way Alton Brown comes off.

Ed.

Pot, kettle, black?

In any case, I think it's sad that he's had to write this. Most of the stuff on there seems like normal dos-and-don'ts, which really shouldnt have to be written down.

You seem to be saying that Master_Edward is pretentious, but maybe I'm misinterpreting your post?
Utah

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2011, 11:55:06 PM »
You know Ticia, I was wondering the same thing.

Ed.

dman

• Alas, my children! This is the day you shall always remember as the day that you almost...
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2011, 01:41:30 AM »
You know Ticia, I was wondering the same thing.

Ed.

I don't think there was misinterpreting here. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:50:24 AM by dman »

BeagleMommy

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2011, 03:05:59 PM »
Oh, the glorious verbosity!  AB is second only to Tim Gunn as having a masterful command of the English language.

While I find it sad that such musings must be written down, I don't find anything objectionable.  DS is a big AB fan and has two of his books.

bluedahlia

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2011, 09:38:20 AM »
Re: the issue with the kids...sometimes that may be for the kids themselves.  A lot of celebrities will do things for kids that they won't for adults.  And, yes, I find it sad that all that had to be written, especially the part about the restroom.