A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Voting

(1/5) > >>

oz diva:
I'm pretty sure Australia is the only country where voting in elections is mandatory. This counts for all government elections from local council to Federal. If we don't vote we are fined about $50. It doesn't stop people from making an invalid vote, but everyone has to turn up to the voting place - usually schools, church halls and the like. Elections are always held on a Saturday so everyone gets the chance to vote. The only way you can get out of it is if you are incapacitated or overseas. Even my colleague's disabled daughter had to vote (or explain why did couldn't). I forgot to vote (via mail) in a local council election and I was fined.

But am I right, is Australia alone in making voting compulsory?

Millionaire Maria:
Well I can't speak for the rest of the world, but in Canada it's perfectly legal to not vote.

wheeitsme:
Another reason to like Australia.    ;) 

No, you don't legally have to vote in the USA.  But I was raised to consider it a civic duty.

gollymolly2:
I may be wrong, but I think brazil also has compulsory elections.

Brentwood:

--- Quote from: wheeitsme on September 21, 2011, 12:38:06 AM ---Another reason to like Australia.    ;) 

No, you don't legally have to vote in the USA.  But I was raised to consider it a civic duty.

--- End quote ---

I consider it my civic duty also, and I've never missed a general election. However, I'm glad it's not legally mandated that citizens must vote.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version