Author Topic: That teenage boy smell...where is it coming from??? Please tell me!!!  (Read 20301 times)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
Please - you other mothers of teenage boys - don't hold out on me - please tell me where you discovered that teenage boy smell hiding so that I can go and clean it and make it go away.

It's not his bedding, his video rocker or his desk chair.  I'm thinking of cleaning the carpet in his room this week to see if it is hiding there.  His football uniform is clean, so that can't be it either.

It has to be somewhere I haven't thought of yet.

Please tell me where you found it hiding and how you got rid of it.  I almost can't stand to go in there to deliver laundry!  (for the record - he keeps his room "neat" even though it isn't "clean" - so I'm not worried about trash and such)

Thanks!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: That teenage boy smell...where is it coming from??? Please tell me!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:15:44 PM »
Paint the walls.  Paint smell covers just about anything.   ;D  Just kidding (well sort of).

Maybe there is some dirty clothes hiding under the bed or in the back of the closet?
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:22:09 PM »
Shoes?  Pillows?

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:29:30 PM »
I honestly think it's a hormone thing.  We had the same issue with our son and as he gets older and out of that teenager puberty stage, it's going away.

I feel for you though...  I totally know what you're talking about.

I found that a BioZone machine worked pretty well to help neutralize the smell a bit, but not completely.
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

GeauxTigers

• Runs with scissors
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:35:16 PM »
3 suggestions:

1) A large tent in the back yard, all for him. Awesome, dude!

2) Polo by Ralph Lauren. One application per bottle.

3) Boarding school.

(I've never had boys. Can you tell?)

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:37:37 PM »
I agree with PPs - most likely a combination of hormones and shoes.. :)

I do feel for you; at one stage even the dog would start to enter DS #1's room, and then turn around to go back.  And of course this was at the same time when he was showering two or even three times a day.  It will get better, I promise.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 09:53:52 PM »
Paint the walls.  Paint smell covers just about anything.   ;D  Just kidding (well sort of).

Maybe there is some dirty clothes hiding under the bed or in the back of the closet?

Paint the kid...
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog (M); Magpie (M); Zuul (F); Nazgul (F)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:08:13 PM »
I have four sons and never experienced that, so i have no idea what you are talking about.  You would think no teenaged boy could get a girlfriend if they had a smell.  It must be something else.  i hate to think you would imagine that your boy smells just because he  is a teenager.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

BarensMom

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 10:33:13 PM »
It's not limited to boys.  My niece lived with my mom and she showered 2x/day, but she still had a unpleasant odor about her.  It disappeared when she turned around 22-23.  My mom would clean her room, but we could never figure out what caused it.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 10:40:10 PM »
My senior year of college, when I was under incredible stress, I developed a very pungent odor that no amount of showering could make a dent in.  When the term ended, it went right away.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog (M); Magpie (M); Zuul (F); Nazgul (F)

Aggiesque

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 10:56:52 PM »
Does he have a mattress protector? Wash that; if not sweat/oil at night may have soaked into his mattress. Ditto for the pillow. His room may just need to be aired out, if you can open the windows/blinds for awhile. If he keeps the curtains closed, simply opening them and letting sunlight in every day can help a lot with smells in general.

I spread baking soda on my rugs, let it sit for a few hours/walk on it, then vaccuum when I get dog smell in a room, and that does help considerably..of course, I KNOW it's the carpet that is causing the smell.
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 11:26:19 PM »
I absolutely do know what you mean.  My stepson is 20 now, but from early teens through relatively recently, I couldn't stand the smell of his room.  And I'm not talking about the Axe  ;D.

I washed his comforter and ran his pillows through the dryer with Downy sheets every single week.  And vacuumed with that sprinkle-on powder.  It helped...somewhat.  I don't think you're imagining it.

It also helped to keep his dirty clothes basket emptied, because honestly, he wasn't as diligent as he could have been with soap, shampoo, deodorant, and toilet paper.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 12:02:37 AM »
I don't have any sons (or kids at all) but I know what "teenage boy smell" is - I had a brother and plenty of boyfriends. In my experience airing it out is your best bet.

Mikayla

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 12:49:59 AM »
The only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is food.  My mom cleaned my bro's room once, and found, among other things I can't recall, a small saucepan that she'd been looking for that had petrified spaghetti in it.   She was sure his shoes were the culprit. 

Spoder

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 12:58:17 AM »
I reckon what you need is a hot, sunny weekend. Then -

1. Open all his bedroom windows wide for as long as possible.
2. Spread a ton of baking soda on the carpet and into each shoe. Stamp in. Leave overnight before vacuuming.
3. Run all bedding through the wash with baking soda in the wash cycle and white vinegar in the rinse cycle, then line-dry
4. Wash and line-dry all pillows and comforters
5. Take mattress outside. Sprinkle on baking soda & rub in. Vacuum off. Leave mattress outside in sunshine for a day.

You can probably see a common theme here: baking soda, white vinegar, air and sunlight are your friends.  ;)

(*Have never had stinky teenage boy, but have moved into rental houses with stinky carpets/rooms  :-X)