Author Topic: That teenage boy smell...where is it coming from??? Please tell me!!!  (Read 22433 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: That teenage boy smell...where is it coming from??? Please tell me!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 02:36:40 AM »
ahhh yes, the memories.

of course *my* DS never smelled/smells. nuh uh. it was his friends... ;D but then it was just a young man smell (sweat/hormones/etc). it wasn't "so bad i can't stand to be in the same room" but more "let's open a window and get some fresh air" so if it's *that* bad, there may be something in the room (food, shoes). in the meantime:

air out the room as much as  possible.

change the bedding as much as possible.

make him change his PJs daily.

febreze the mattress

make sure he showers at least daily, changes his clothing (*all* of the clothing) and uses deoderant.

and repeat after me: this too shall pass

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 07:04:04 AM »
BTDT - 3 boys.

Sneakers, sport shoes and any shoes worn more than once/week are left outside whenever possible to air out.
Dirty clothes are kept in a hamper with the lid on it!
Sheets and towels changes/washed often.

It is hormones, and if they play sports, it's that much worse. Wash twice/day. As gag-inducing as Axe is, it does help. My boys are more inclined to use soap if it's in the form of a 'manly' body wash - like Axe or Old Spice.

Open all the windows and wait a few years - this too shall pass.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 07:51:19 AM »
Thanks you, everyone, for your suggestions!

I agree that this is a hormone things and have said as much to him.  "Hon - this isn't anything you can do anything about right now except keep showering! ". We did not have this issue prior to the onset of puberty.  I can smell hints of "the smell" in his laundry hamper, so am confident it is directly related to The Kiddo.   Although - I will say that my son doesn't actually smell himself except in times when you would expect him to smell - after football, running around outside, working out, etc. Mostlly it's his room right now. 

I have moved his hamper into the hallway so that I have easy access to it (aka - I don't have to go in there!!) and I try to keep things washed and not let it build up.  I didn't think of looking under the bed for lurking laundry - will have to do that.  I think part of the problem is tha he will come home from football/other boy-stink inducing activity and someone else will be in the shower, so he will sit on his floor or in his video rocker and wait his turn.  Or it's -"OH - did you want me to shower now??".  Um.  Yes.  I can smell you from downstairs in the kitchen.  SO - that's why I'm thinking the carpet is my next thing to clean.  I will go on an all out search for hiding dirty laundry though.  It's a nice cool day today, so I'll open up his windows also and see if I can air it out.  The room is freshly painted (within the last 6 months) so that won't be happening again!  ;)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 08:56:17 AM »
I have 5 brothers. I know the smell.

My mom ended up taking out a lot of fabric from their rooms, because the fabric holds the smell for a long time. No curtains, no rugs. Just their bedding, which got completely washed every week. (I mean, the smell clung to the bedding to the point where I insisted on my own sheets, because even after washing, sometimes the smell would still be there, faint, but there.)

Open the windows every single day for half an hour. Make him pull everything out from under the bed and wash everything washable. Have him check, under your supervision, for food left in odd places. Make sure towels do not sit in his room and mold away, but are hung up to dry in a room with some ventilation.

They make laundry detergents now that are formulated to remove the smell from stinky clothes.

No lie, I once got so fed up with all the once-worn, stinky gym clothes the boys had hung up in the bathroom to dry and the 7 pairs of stinky sneakers also hanging out in the bathroom ("Put them in our rooms? But they stink!") and shoved them all under one of the boy's beds. Took them two days to find them, because the room was already so stinky that even all that didn't make a difference.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

mlkind1789

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 09:06:25 AM »
I would also add if he has his sports equipment in his room, make him leave it in the garage if you have one or in another - sort of outside place. 

Baking soda, vinegar and febreeze are going to be your best bets for awhile though.

Good luck!!!

alkira6

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 09:16:42 AM »
Mattress. Febreeze the heck out of it and make sure it's dry before putting bedding on it. Also, make sure that he's eating fruit and veggies. This helped tremendously with my nephew. Try to keep the onions and garlic to a minimum. The hormones and sweating inherent to teenagers makes this a big stinky no no.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 09:21:45 AM »
Freeze the shoes - it kills the bacteria which are causing the odor.  Being worn will add more bacteria but at least it will cut it until they are worn again.

Clean mattress, wash/replace pillows, wash bedding, and vacuum.  Check for worn clothes.  Wash in HOT water if the item will stand it - it just does a better job of cleaning than cold water.

Check for food, trash, and dirty socks under the bed.  Also check the closet floor............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MummySweet

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 09:24:55 AM »
Febreeze and all white bed linens (so you can bleach when necessary... I add a bit to my's son's sheets every other wash).

kethria

• عاشق, ولهان
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 12:10:36 PM »
Add some good old Lysol to the laundry. It works wonders.

Syfygeek

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 01:10:56 PM »
Ew, ew that smell!

When DS was 13-ish, we went with my mom to visit my aunt. DS pulled off his shoes at my aunts house and after a few minutes, the smell was so bad we put his shoes on the porch. On the drive home, he pulled off his shoes in the car and the smell was so bad I pulled over, put his shoes in a bag and popped them into the trunk for the duration of the ride (made the state trooper that stopped to see if anything was wrong laugh.  And back away)

I found that canvas or leather shoes-not pleather, along with white socks, really helped the funk.  Along with Old Spice or Zest body wash  in a clean scent-ocean, rain, etc.. Oxy-clean in with the clothes, and just wait for the years to pass.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

MummySweet

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 01:40:47 PM »
Oh, and don't let him put grungy socks back in his shoes.   I realized my son was walking around in the garage in stocking feet (I so don't clean the garage) and getting his socks really dirty.  He didn't think twice about putting his shoes on over the dirt.

BarensMom

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 01:46:25 PM »
Old Spice now makes a body wash that is supposed to inhibit odors for 16 hours.  I had it around for my 14-year old nephew's visit a few weeks ago and I didn't notice any smell from him.  What is it about guys and their laundry?  I had to practically beg for his dirty clothes to wash them.

Poirot

• Needler of threads, not threader of needles
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 02:19:15 PM »
I suggest just rubbing vicks vapo-rub on your top lip until the boy-children are 22 or so. I hear that's what coronors and such that have to deal with decomposition smells do.  ;D

It's all sweat and hormones, and you can smell it no matter how hard you try to get rid of it.

Of course, all of the practical cleaning suggestions HELP, but nothing gets rid of it totally except outgrowing it.  :-\
A spoon! A spoon! My kingdom for a case of #%^***** spoons!

SDG31000

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »
White vinegar in the washing machine in place of fabric softener works wonders.  DS15 is now coming out of that stage and DS12 is entering into it, so I have a stock of extra strong odour eaters and frebreeze at all times.  All I can say is good luck and invest in a peg for your nose if it gets too bad.

o_gal

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 09:47:27 AM »
Old Spice now makes a body wash that is supposed to inhibit odors for 16 hours.  I had it around for my 14-year old nephew's visit a few weeks ago and I didn't notice any smell from him.  What is it about guys and their laundry?  I had to practically beg for his dirty clothes to wash them.

Hello son, look at your room, now back to me, now back to you room, now back to me. Sadly, this is your room, but if you started showering more often and switched to Old Spice, your room wouldn't smell like this. Look down, back up, where are you? You're in a shower getting rid of that funk that you smell like. What's in your gym bag, back at me. You know it, it's a bunch of old gym clothes that haven't seen the light of day in 3 weeks. Look again, the gym clothes are now sports equipment. Anything can be washed, even you when you use Old Spice and actually get in there. You're on a horse.

:D

(I was inspired - it's Friday)