Author Topic: Runner Carries Injured Opponent  (Read 2232 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Runner Carries Injured Opponent
« on: September 22, 2011, 07:58:32 PM »
http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/articles/msn/cross_country_runner_carries_injured_opponent_a_half_mile_for_treatment/6951646

A teenager was injured while running cross country. An opponent stopped to check on him (everyone else just ran by), and worried that he had punctured his Achilles, decided to carry the injured runner half a mile to get help.

I so want to hug that kid.

Edited to add 2 missing words.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:13:28 PM by Wonderflonium »
The status is not quo!

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
Re: Runner Carries Injured Opponent
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 08:10:07 PM »
What a nice person he is! That gave me the warm and fuzzies.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:12:07 PM »
I read that earlier!  What a great story.  I love that as soon as he'd gotten the kid to help, he turned around and immediately ran the race.

Ruelz

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 11:25:13 AM »
Aww...that's so sweet.
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow

MerryCat

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 06:10:53 PM »
Aww... that is so nice. Kudos to that young man. I am shocked, though, that the others ran right past someone screaming in pain. I can understand desperately wanting to win a race, but still...

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 06:31:24 PM »
All my boys are XC runners.  I've seen kids go down and get run over - and no one stops. I must say that every race I've been to - and I've been to many - there are coaches and spectators all along the course. Was there no one else there to help?

Good for that young runner!!!!

And BTW, despite the sound of it - "spiked" - it's not an intentional injury. The runners wear spiked shoes and accidents happen.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:34:21 PM by QueenofAllThings »

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »
All my boys are XC runners.  I've seen kids go down and get run over - and no one stops. I must say that every race I've been to - and I've been to many - there are coaches and spectators all along the course. Was there no one else there to help?

Interesting. My best friend ran XC in high school, and there were usually only spectators at the beginning/end of the course.
The status is not quo!

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 08:02:49 AM »
Depends on the course and its accessibility. We have two nearby - one is easy to wander around on; the other, not so much. But there are always coaches at various points to scream encourage.