Author Topic: What would everyone say...  (Read 2131 times)

TychaBrahe

• Super Hero!
  • Defend the mother closet!
What would everyone say...
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:01:46 PM »
...to changing the name of the "General Categories" section to "General Etiquette" or something?

I find that a lot of people are misinterpreting sections like "Family and Children" or "dating and relationship" or "Holidays" to be about general topics related to those categories.  They are not.  They are intended for etiquette issues related to dating and relationships or family and children or holidays.  So we get poems kids wrote and people asking for relationship advice and discussions of Halloween costumes.  All of those belong in the Coffee Break section, which is intended for discussions not related to etiquette.

I realize I'm being pedantic, but I don't spend a lot of time in the Coffee Break section, and it bugs me when these topics begin to clutter up the etiquette section.
"Brownies and kindness for all!"  High Dudgeon

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
Re: What would everyone say...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:42:24 PM »
I don't think you're being pedantic.  I'm sort of your opposite - I spend most of my eHell time in the off-topic section, so I expect to see off-topic stuff that might interest me there, not in other, etiquette-related parts of the board. 

I don't want to miss anything!   8)

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

penelope2017

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
...to changing the name of the "General Categories" section to "General Etiquette" or something?

I find that a lot of people are misinterpreting sections like "Family and Children" or "dating and relationship" or "Holidays" to be about general topics related to those categories.  They are not.  They are intended for etiquette issues related to dating and relationships or family and children or holidays.  So we get poems kids wrote and people asking for relationship advice and discussions of Halloween costumes.  All of those belong in the Coffee Break section, which is intended for discussions not related to etiquette.

I realize I'm being pedantic, but I don't spend a lot of time in the Coffee Break section, and it bugs me when these topics begin to clutter up the etiquette section.

Totally agree. I see a lot of parenting problems and advice q's in Family & Chilldren. (and I have two kids).

It really isn't about that.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 07:19:35 PM »

It's a great idea!
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

CrayonOutlines

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 07:11:24 AM »
Totally agree, TychaBrahe!!!

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 08:53:53 AM »
I vote yes!