News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 12:49:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: If You're Really Not Interested, Why Did You Ask  (Read 10418 times)

BeagleMommy

If You're Really Not Interested, Why Did You Ask
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:23:27 PM »
A coworker and I were talking and she noticed that I have lost some weight (8 lbs, yay me).  You guessed it, up struts Annoying Coworker and asks what I've been doing (she needs to lose some weight.  She's not obese, but a little overweight).  I told her that a nutritionist worked with me using the traditional diabetic exchange lists combined with carb counting.  I also exercise two days a week (working on more).  The conversation went like this:

AC:  So you can't eat any bread?
Me:  No, I can eat any starch, but I try to eat as many whole grains as possible in the right amounts at the right time of day.
AC:  Ugh, I can't stand whole grains.  They taste weird.  Can't you eat white bread?
Me:  Yes, I can, but I can't eat as many as I can with whole grain.  I also eat 3oz of meat per meal, fruit and vegetables are free except for corn, beans and peas.  They're considered starches.  I also exercise twice a week.
AC:  Can't you just eat those frozen diet dinners?
Me:  I was actually told to avoid those.  They don't offer enough calories and I wind up overeating snacks.
AC:  Well, how is that supposed to help?!  I thought if you could lose weight it would be easy for anyone!  Storms off.

I looked over my glasses at her like the teacher in my English class did.

I mean, really, she asked.  If it wasn't what you were hoping for, just ignore what I said.

Hillia

Re: If You're Really Not Interested, Why Did You Ask
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:30:31 PM »
You mean you had to actually put thought and effort into your weight loss?  You had to make sensible choices and learn to bypass things that are tasty but don't support your healthy eating plan?  Surely you had some sort of magic pill or diet food that let you drop the weight...it couldn't be education, hard work, and taking responsibility.  Those are haaaaaard!

(Congrats on your weight loss!  8 lbs is a very nice start!)

Cuddlepie

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 06:31:29 PM »
I reckon Annoying Coworker would do better if she lost that darn big fat chip on her shoulder before trying any diet plan.   ;D

And congrats to you on your success.

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:20:45 PM »
  I thought if you could lose weight it would be easy for anyone!  Storms off.

That was quite the dagger she slipped you, there....  What a nasty thing to say.

She must have thought you bought a slap from the Magic Skinny Wand.......
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

Ginya

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 11:50:11 AM »
  I thought if you could lose weight it would be easy for anyone!  Storms off.

That was quite the dagger she slipped you, there....  What a nasty thing to say.

She must have thought you bought a slap from the Magic Skinny Wand.......

Ouch! That's just brutal. Kudos to you on not letting her get to you!

Danika

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 04:09:02 AM »
It sounds like she's
1) jealous of your success
and
2) looking for a sour grapes reason that she can't do the same thing.

She expected to hear how hard it would be to diet like this. And she asked because she wanted to hear how hard it was so that she could tell herself it's hard and not worth the effort. That's the only reason she asked.

But she was very mean to get that dig in. I wouldn't waste time talking to her anymore.

ETA: if she asks again, tell her you eat donuts all day every day and your body just got used to it because you were firing up your metabolism or some such thing. Poke fun at her for asking. Don't honor her with an honest answer. And hopefully, just hopefully, she'll believe you and try it for herself! Because if it's going to work for anyone, it'll work for her, right?

BeagleMommy

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:47:17 AM »
I hope she doesn't hear that I'm down two more pounds!  She'll probably never speak to me again and wouldn't that be a pity (for this forum anyway).  >:D

TeamBhakta

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »
Evil me thinks you should tell her, "Here, have some of my Kälteen bars. They're these weird Swedish nutrition bars my mom uses to lose weight. Yeah, you know, there's some weird ingredient in them that's not legal in the U.S. Yet. It burns carbs. It just burns up all your carbs."

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 06:20:33 PM »
Evil me thinks you should tell her, "Here, have some of my Kälteen bars. They're these weird Swedish nutrition bars my mom uses to lose weight. Yeah, you know, there's some weird ingredient in them that's not legal in the U.S. Yet. It burns carbs. It just burns up all your carbs."

Don't be a Mean Girl!

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 12:11:01 PM »

Don't be a Mean Girl!

"Is butter a carb?" Why yes, yes it is >:D

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 07:44:27 PM »
I can certainly understand why you were annoyed!  She asked for advice, argued with everything you said, then insulted you.  I would ignore her diet questions in the future, too.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

DragonKitty

• YOU'RE.. MAKING.. ME.. BEAT.. UP.. GRASS! - Rocket
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 10:07:13 AM »

AC:  So you can't eat any bread?
Me:  No, I can eat any starch, but I try to eat as many whole grains as possible in the right amounts at the right time of day.
AC:  Ugh, I can't stand whole grains.  They taste weird.  Can't you eat white bread?
Me:  Yes, I can, but I can't eat as many as I can with whole grain.  I also eat 3oz of meat per meal, fruit and vegetables are free except for corn, beans and peas.  They're considered starches.  I also exercise twice a week.
AC:  Can't you just eat those frozen diet dinners?
Me:  I was actually told to avoid those.  They don't offer enough calories and I wind up overeating snacks.
AC:  Well, how is that supposed to help?!  I thought if you could lose weight it would be easy for anyone! 

Yes, she was totally rude and annoying.

I do not react well to white bread (does really bad stuff to my blood sugar which causes my MS to act up), so yes, now I only eat whole grain bread.  It depends on who makes it, but some of them are very good. 

Love the "High Fiber Whole Wheat" from Orowheat, but lately we've been buying all of our bread from 'Great Harvest Bread Company" (nope not affiliated with it), and when I questioned the employees, they swore that they use NO processed white flour in any of their breads.

And I'm very happy that it is easier to find brown rice, and pasta made with whole grain.  There is even a pasta out there made with brown rice!  There is a grocery store here that makes some sushi with brown rice.

But I was talking with a co-worker the other day, he does not like that his wife switched them to whole grain pasta, when his family used to make white flour pasta from scratch.  I can see where it would taste different.  But he does not want to try to make the pasta with the whole wheat flour.

And congratulations on the weightloss!!  Glad what you are doing is working.