Author Topic: Australia and New Zealand  (Read 2399 times)

Gabrielle

Re: Australia and New Zealand
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 09:00:04 PM »
NZ and Australia are what, three time zones apart?  Americans think of them being a quick boat ride away, but I think it's about the same as a coast-to-coast flight in the US.

NZ also has pretty much every biome, just because of the geography.  You can step off the Franz Josef Glacier and a hundred yards later you're walking through rainforest.  (Not exaggerating.)  There are some desert-like sections, too, as well as wet beaches and dry beaches and temperate forest and inland lakes and rivers and everything else.  I can't wait to go back there someday  ;D

As I understand it, New Zealand is one of the few places which has gone the "reparations to minorities" route.  The government paid the Maori reparations a few decades ago and that (plus lots of other factors) seems to make being Maori a difference instead of a detriment.

Reparations are actually ongoing, although the current goal is to have all reparations finished by around 2020; at that point no more claims will be allowed under the Treaty of Waitangi. While we certainly do have a better track record than some other countries regarding indigenous people, there's still definitely an element of "casual racism" with a lot of the population - even though it's mostly just "wah wah wah affirmative action". Some people resent the ongoing reparations (which is why the government has put a limit of claims) and some people resent that Maori get a "free ride" to university etc. Not that they do - that's just how it can be perceived.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 06:12:05 AM »

Don't Kiwi's talk funny?!  Just kidding!  ;D
Stewart/Colbert '16

Goodnight Kiwi

• Formerly Lucylou
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 07:27:59 AM »
I know they're different countries - but different how? All I've got is that NZ is smaller, cooler, and wetter than Australia. Other than that, I have no idea what the distinctions are, culturally, politically, and so on. Anyone care to fill me in?

Well, we're definitely cooler 8)

Kiwis do tend to talk a lot "flatter" that Australians ("Nyew Zuhlend", "fush end chups"), and in lower tones.  But a lot of the slang is similar or the same.

I'm a Kiwi currently living in London.  A lot of people here seem to think that it's just a quick jaunt to Australia - I have to enlighten them that it's a three hour flight from Auckland to Sydney (the nearest place you can get to really).  From London, you can get pretty much to Turkey in that time. 

Cricket

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 08:10:19 AM »
New Zealand - the land of the long white cloud.

Australia - the land on the long weekend!

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 09:14:33 PM »
Here are two You tube clips that might help explain the difference

the first is made in NZ by kiwis, and is true to life but tongue in cheek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvSh7-jNLWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLETRsaL8DA

the second is made in Australia by two kiwis, to help the All Blacks win the world cup and beat the Aussies.  Please note there is no bad language in the clip, the work is Whaka, which means canoe.  Maori will give you there canoe as a starting point in their genealogy, because that is how their ancestors arrived in New Zealand.  The genealogy is called a 'whakapapa' which as you can see incorporates the word.  Many non maori also arrived by boat and will give their 'canoe' too.  My is the Marconi. 

I have heard that the difference between us and the Aussies is that they know they live in God's own country, while we rather hope we might.