Author Topic: Saying "No" To the Realtors..  (Read 22844 times)

Miriam

Saying "No" To the Realtors..
« on: September 25, 2011, 05:37:25 PM »
This just happened a few minutes ago and I was wondering if I used the phrase correctly.

At 4:09pm the realtor calls:
Realtors: This is XXXX from XXXX realtors calling to let you know XXXX is showing your home at 4:15pm.
Me: Uhhh...
Realtors: Will this be okay?
Me: It's 4:10. You're saying I need to be out of my house in five minutes to show the house?
Realtors: Yes. Will this be okay?
Me: If you had called two hours ago, yes it would. But since you are calling within a few minutes, no.
Realtors: So we cannot show your home today at 4:15pm?
Me: No. The timing is very inconvenient and I can't accomodate that request. (For real, my house is 2 stories and dirty, I mean we live here still).
Realtors: Okay, thank you. Is there anything else we may do for you today?
Me: Well..you may not call me within an hour of the time you decide to show my home. Please give me a reasonable amount of time to go through the home and be sure everything is clean and the pets are put away, and for me to tell my other family members to stay out of the house.
Realtors: Okay, bye.

Did I do that correct? I'm just thinking that was an impossible request.
"All Was Well"

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
Re: Saying "No" To the Realtors..
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, yes, you have the right to refuse to let realtors show your house when it's not convenient for you.

On the other, it is their job to sell your house, and there usually is an understanding that homeowners who are selling need to be able to allow their homes to be shown on short notice.  That means, the house has to be showable, pets have to be under control, and usually, the homeowners need to be gone.  I'll agree that one hour's notice is tight, but if you want to sell your house, having it dirty and unshowable and needing a large amount of lead time before you leave to get it into shape for viewing probably isn't reasonable in terms of getting it sold.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Hillia

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »
The OP didn't have an hour's notice, she had 5 minutes (they called at 4:09 for a 4:15 showing)...she was asking for an hour.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 06:12:05 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, yes, you have the right to refuse to let realtors show your house when it's not convenient for you.

On the other, it is their job to sell your house, and there usually is an understanding that homeowners who are selling need to be able to allow their homes to be shown on short notice.  That means, the house has to be showable, pets have to be under control, and usually, the homeowners need to be gone.  I'll agree that one hour's notice is tight, but if you want to sell your house, having it dirty and unshowable and needing a large amount of lead time before you leave to get it into shape for viewing probably isn't reasonable in terms of getting it sold.

I agree with this, but I think it would be considerate to give the current homeowner more than 5-10 minutes notice of a showing so they could make a quick fly-lady like tidying up and get themselves and family out of the house.   
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 06:13:07 PM »
The OP didn't have an hour's notice, she had 5 minutes (they called at 4:09 for a 4:15 showing)...she was asking for an hour.

When my parents wanted to sell their house, our family was often asked to leave within very short notice, even 5 minutes.  As I said, I agree that that's too short, but on the other hand, it is a pretty reasonable expectation that homeowners be asked to have their house ready in a short period of time, possibly 20-45 minutes.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 06:22:47 PM »
I don't think the realtor was rude for asking, and I don't think you were rude for telling her that you'll need more time in the future. Was this someone else's realtor, or the one who is helping you try to sell your house? If the latter, I do think you should have told her ahead of time that you'd need an hour to get the house ready when she has people who want to see the house.

I try to keep my house close to company-ready (not Queen of England company, but friend-company) because I find it really easy to get waaaay behind on housework if I slip just a little bit. But when we were trying to sell our house, I felt like I was constantly on edge, trying to keep it clean. It really is exhausting. The kicker? We had ONE showing before we finally moved out. But I never knew when there would be a showing, and I really didn't want to turn anyone away; that could be the one person who would buy our house.

However, it does depend on how motivated you are. Selling our house is a huge priority for us (alas, a year later, and we STILL don't have a buyer; it's one of the worst areas in the state to be selling a house right now). If you have the funds/time/whatever to wait to sell, then you can afford to be a little more choosy about the timing of showings. But you want to get rid of it as soon as possible, it is pretty normal for realtors to have people who want to look at a house last minute.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 06:25:30 PM »
It's up to you how much leas time you want/need.

Your agent should have included instructions for lead time in the notes.

It's a good idea if this happens like this again to be a bit more proactive and offer a time that will be convenient.

You could have said "I'm sorry that's not possible, could you please plan to come a bit later?  Maybe 5:30?"

While you didn't do anything wrong, I don't know that its a good idea to tell someone that your house is dirty when you are trying to sell it.

If I were living in a house that I was selling, I would need a lead time of several hours at least for someone making an appointment--more, if it were in the morning.  I would probably just move out while it was on the market.

Because I could see some agents just coming anyway.  I have a house on the market that I do not live in and we had to add the instruction to please lock the front door!

You have the right to set boundaries and your agent should be leaving instructions for showings.

HorseFreak

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 06:58:30 PM »
I posted something similar recently, but I don't own the place I live in. In my situation the realtor wanted to come by in something like 5 minutes while I was at work like most people at 2 pm. I told them no, I could do 4:30 if I left work early and they showed up, looked around and then came back at 5:30 while I was at the grocery store having moved the cat back. They dared to complain the cat and snake were home and refused to look around.

To me, it's not an open house and someone still lives there. They might be in the shower, eating dinner, finally sitting down after a long day on their feet or having intimate time with their SO. It is a tough market, but you'll drive yourself insane being "on call" every moment of the day for showings. I think an hour is perfectly reasonable.

buvezdevin

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 07:23:55 PM »
I agree with a PP regarding having some "rules of thumb" for showing, and the timing for notice in advance of showing, though also agree with other posters that there's nothing wrong or unusual if a realtor with client in tow *asks* if the property can be shown on short notice.  It doesn't sound as though your realtor was "asking" though was accepting when you said it wasn't convenient.

Even with advance notice, particular times may not work for someone with a house for sale, so having some guidelines as to agreeable times (from X to Y) and requesting a minimum notice are just helpful for realtors and sellers.  One of those guidelines could certainly be that exceptions to the timing of notice will be agreed to if convenient for the residents, so you don't eliminate your house from being shown where a short notice may be all the realtor can provide.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

shadowfox79

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 02:49:18 AM »
I have to say, I'm not impressed with your realtor.

When I was looking for a student rental, on several occasions we would be taken to the house for a 10am appointment and be told when we got there that the current occupants wouldn't let us in because they were still in bed. It became increasingly obvious that this particular landlord wasn't bothering to run his appointments by his tenants before showing up (and was confirmed by a few after we arrived for afternoon appointments to find one in the shower and another in their underpants on the sofa).

If I had been the buyer, I'd have been reluctant to deal with your realtor after this.

Steve

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 03:04:20 AM »
My family have owned a real estate agency for decades, and I am sure some things are culturally different where your are (yah my tiny flag) but usually a potential buyer will call, in advance, to make an appointment to view a proprerty. They do not walk into the office expecting the realtor to have time right then and there. There is a lot of planning and sceduling involved with viewings usually.

So it seems to me that the realtor has known about this appointment for more than 5 minutes, but just can not be bothered to call the home-owner when he/she makes the appointment. It sounds like lousy service to me.

bekkhild

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 08:14:48 AM »
I had to do this a few times when we were selling our previous house. It had been a hectic few weeks, and on this particular day, DH was out of town for work. The realtor (not mine, a different one) called at around 6pm to show my house at 6:30pm. I told her it would not be possible, and when she protested, I told her the following: Dh was out of town, I had dirty laundry strung up and down the hall because I was two weeks behind on it and we were running out of clothes, one of my dogs was sick, and my two year old son was exhausted. I told her I needed a minimum of one hour to show my house. She sighed and told me, that I needed to be better organized if I wanted to sell my house. My house had been on the market for less than a month at that point. ::)

buvezdevin

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 08:36:40 AM »
Just wanted to add a couple of points:

Other than pre-sceduled open houses, realtors are usually working with potential buyers' schedules as well as the realtor's and seller's.  Family members of mine who are realtors frequently have last minute requests from potential buyers who have unexpected availability to look at homes.  This does not mean a seller has to accomodate short notice showings, only that realtors themself do not necessarily have more notice to provide.

When a showing by a realtor is scheduled/requested, it doesn't mean it will be done by the realtor or agency with which you have your property listed.  The need to coordinate a showing between multiple parties can also leave less than optimal time for showing requests.

And, it is also not uncommon for a potential buyer to decide, in midst of seeing scheduled properties, that they would like to see one which was not included in those scheduled.

None of this is to suggest that a seller has to agree to short notice showings.  But I will also add that if a seller indicates readiness to "work with" their realtor - including understanding on both sides as to what amount of notice is needed, but willingness to *consider* showings on shorter notice - that can make things much smoother for all parties.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 10:46:42 AM »
While one would want to keep everyday mess to a minimum if you're expecting showings, I don't think it's possible to expect people to be able to live in a place that is in show-room condition at all times.

What if the OP were in the middle of fixing dinner or baking a cake? What if she were in the shower? Five minutes is really rather ridiculous - most people would take about 5 minutes just to get ready to leave, especially if they have children or pets.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 11:28:04 AM »
If my house was reasonably show worthy but I was in the middle of cooking dinner and a realtor called, asking to show the house in 10 minutes, I might say, 'Sure.  But I'll be in the kitchen, making dinner while you show the place.'

Although it is recommended that the owners clear out, the short notice potential buyer can then have a choice:  the owner remains in the home or they have to make an appointement more convenient for the seller.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario