Author Topic: Saying "No" To the Realtors..  (Read 22516 times)

phred246

Re: Saying "No" To the Realtors..
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 11:55:14 AM »
When we sold our house last year, we told the realtor that we would not be giving her a key, we wanted two hours notice of visitors, and that we would not leave the house when potential buyers were present. When she objected, we told her that we could always find another agent, so she agreed. She also told us that the city required certain things that needed to be done so that we would pass the CO inspection, that the inspector told us were not required, and one item was actually illegal.

When my mother sold her house in 1986, she had originally given them a key, but demanded it back after an agent turned off the circuit breaker to the basement freezer.
Work fascinates me! I can stare at it for hours!

Miriam

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »
Hey guys! I really appreciate the feedback.

I just wanted to clarify that the house has only been on the market for 3 weeks. While most of the house is clean because it's meant to have more than 3 people living in it (there are some clean, empty rooms) there are still things that I can't control because I can't have it showroom perfect in five minutes. I understand we need to work with the realtors, our seller has such a nice personality it's infectious. We have set up times for the week, all three of us go to school or work around 8am and then come home around 4pm, after that everyone is home making dinner and finishing up the day's work. The realtor pretty much has all day everyday to show the home, it just flustered me that when I got home and sat down to wind down I got the phone call that they are showing in five minutes. We do accomodate late showings, just not in 5 minutes notice. We need to feed the pets and call eachother to say "Hey, don't come home, let's meet at Starbucks and you can help me with some homework" or something.

Thanks again for all the response, I appreciate the different insight.
"All Was Well"

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 12:23:43 PM »
Would it be possible to say, "I can't do it in 5 minutes, but 30 would be fine"?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 12:26:13 PM »

I just wanted to clarify that the house has only been on the market for 3 weeks. While most of the house is clean because it's meant to have more than 3 people living in it (there are some clean, empty rooms) there are still things that I can't control because I can't have it showroom perfect in five minutes. I understand we need to work with the realtors, our seller has such a nice personality it's infectious. We have set up times for the week, all three of us go to school or work around 8am and then come home around 4pm, after that everyone is home making dinner and finishing up the day's work. The realtor pretty much has all day everyday to show the home, it just flustered me that when I got home and sat down to wind down I got the phone call that they are showing in five minutes. We do accomodate late showings, just not in 5 minutes notice. We need to feed the pets and call eachother to say "Hey, don't come home, let's meet at Starbucks and you can help me with some homework" or something.

While I agree 100% that 5 minutes is not enough notice, the majority of your potential buyers will have jobs that prevent them from house hunting M-F, 8-5. So you should be prepared to have some evening and weekend showings, and figure out ways to have the house looking half-way decent for them. Once you've convinced the agents that you really do need more than 5 minutes notice.

When I've been house-hunting, I've always looked at houses on weekends or in the evenings--I couldn't afford to lose a day of work to look at one house.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »
Doing laundry? Changing beds? Spring cleaning? Painting a room? Playing scrabble? Well - ok, I suppose you could cease and desist on that last one.

I'm sure you want to sell your home quickly, but I agree with other posters that you simply can't be expected to have a showroom house, at the ready, at all times - short of moving out and staging it. I'd say 30 minutes notice at a minimum.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 05:23:08 PM »
I don't think you need to clear the house every time a realtor calls on short notice. I was just saying that this is not atypical or rude, so long as they don't push the issue. Every showing increases your chances of selling. The house we bought a couple of years ago was one such last-minute thing. We'd looked at several houses, told her what we did and didn't like, discovered some things we thought we could relax or change our minds on, and she said, "Oh, you know what? There's this one house that doesn't have X or Y, but I think you guys might actually like it anyway. Let me call and see." It was a vacant house (she called to see if anyone else was looking at it), but I'm sure she would have asked even if it had been occupied. We would never have bought that house if it hadn't been for that spur-of-the-moment look. We were leaning heavily toward another one, and I think we might have bought it otherwise.

(We ended up hating the house after we'd lived there for a couple years, but that has more to do with us not actually knowing what we wanted and nothing to do with how the realtor showed it to us.)

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »

I would not even consider a house that only had viewing hours M-F, 8-5.  Honestly it could be my absolute dream house but no.  I get 5 vacation days a year and zero paid sick days.  I'm sure as heck not going to burn a day to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars unless there was some sort of majorly steep discounted price for it.  In my area its a buyers market - that means sellers need to accommodate buyers needs, not the other way around.  Evenings and especially weekends are when you need to make the home available for viewings if you want to maximize sellability - those hours should be your main focus not something you can just squeeze in once in a while.

That said, yes, its reasonable to want an hours notice for a showing.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 07:35:56 PM »
There is a world of difference between something being immediately available only during working hours and being available with an appointment with a reasonable lead time.

I have had a house on the market for almost 5 months now and almost ALL of the appointments have been during the week between 8:30 and 5.

Out of 23 showings, only 2 have not been during "working hours."

Most appointments are set a day in advance.  There's only been one time where someone made the appointment within an hour of the actual showing.

It doesn't matter what kind of market it is.  A seller living in the home has the absolute right to set boundaries.

You can always say that's it available without notice during working hours but for evening hours you require a days' notice if you want to.

Most realtors put together a tour of houses for people who are looking.  Since this list is put together a day in advance, there is no reason that appointments cannot then be made in advance.

Flibbertigibbet

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 08:00:37 AM »
I'm curious, I'm in the UK, and I'm assuming the OP is in the US (please correct me if I am wrong!), but my experience of viewing and buying and selling property is that it is not the usual expectation that the householders vacate for a viewing. In fact, in every case I've been shown around a prospective property by the owner, and they have answered questions for me, and I did the same when I was selling. I know the system is different in the US, but is it usual that hosues must be completely clear of occupants or any evidence that the house is lived in by anyone prior to a viewing? Obviously it's better if the place is clean and tidy, but i would be shocked if the occupants of a house I was viewing felt they needed to leave whilst I was there!

To the OP though, an hour's notice before a viewing is totally reasonable in my view, though I don't think there's anything wrong with the realtor making the call to you just to see if a short notice viewing is possible. To turn it around, would you be put out if you found out that a realtor hadn't called you with a potential short notice viewing on the assumption that it could not be accommodated without checking with you first?

O'Dell

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 02:53:50 PM »
I'm curious, I'm in the UK, and I'm assuming the OP is in the US (please correct me if I am wrong!), but my experience of viewing and buying and selling property is that it is not the usual expectation that the householders vacate for a viewing. In fact, in every case I've been shown around a prospective property by the owner, and they have answered questions for me, and I did the same when I was selling. I know the system is different in the US, but is it usual that hosues must be completely clear of occupants or any evidence that the house is lived in by anyone prior to a viewing? Obviously it's better if the place is clean and tidy, but i would be shocked if the occupants of a house I was viewing felt they needed to leave whilst I was there!

To the OP though, an hour's notice before a viewing is totally reasonable in my view, though I don't think there's anything wrong with the realtor making the call to you just to see if a short notice viewing is possible. To turn it around, would you be put out if you found out that a realtor hadn't called you with a potential short notice viewing on the assumption that it could not be accommodated without checking with you first?

Yes in the US it's typical for owners to be out of the house when potential buyers are viewing it. It allows the people looking at the house to feel more comfortable giving it a good going over...look in cupboards and closets, discuss the attributes of the house which might include negative comments, etc.

If an hours notice is what you need, OP, then it's what you need. For me 30 minutes would be reasonable. But really, your home should be relatively clean if you are trying to sell it. Maybe every dish and every towel won't be sparkling, but I thought the standard advice was to have within a few minutes of showroom at all times which might be tidier than most people keep their homes on a day-to-day basis. If you really want to show your house, then it's in your own best interests to do so.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 09:51:21 AM »
Miriam,

I think it's okay to ask for a bit more time, but don't turn the realtors away if you can.  I'm on the market currently.  I went on the first week of June.  It's October 30th currently.  I've had about 10 walk throughs (at some odd times - one with an hour notice) and two open houses.  Because I have a large countertop microwave, I've been living without it for four months.  I've been cooking everything on the stove top!  Gosh do I hate living like this!

So far I've only had one offer.  It was incredibly insulting.  The most recent walk through is currently mulling over the idea of an offer, but I'll know when I hear it.

I have a neighbor who put her condo on the market about the same time I did.  After no feedback on the six to eight walk throughs that she had (and an even more insulting offer), she gave up and came off the market. 

Living in a house while it's for sale is hard.  You have to keep up little things and have hiding holes ready for the magazines/newspapers/extra when you get slim notice.  The more viewers, the better the odds of selling.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 01:01:26 PM »
When we sold our house last year, we told the realtor that we would not be giving her a key, we wanted two hours notice of visitors, and that we would not leave the house when potential buyers were present. When she objected, we told her that we could always find another agent, so she agreed. She also told us that the city required certain things that needed to be done so that we would pass the CO inspection, that the inspector told us were not required, and one item was actually illegal.

When my mother sold her house in 1986, she had originally given them a key, but demanded it back after an agent turned off the circuit breaker to the basement freezer.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to sell your house?  Is this common in your area?   I refuse to look at homes with the owner present as it makes me feel uncomfortable. 

As for the OP - was there not a place on your contract with the realtor about lead time for showings?  There usually is and then the realtor inputs that into the listing for other realtors to see.  If it doesn't say no last minute showings, then the realtor probably took a chance on calling.   I once had someone call from the driveway.  I didn't like it, but the RE market was tight and I needed all the showings I could get. 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 01:05:54 PM »

Honestly, if you expect showings only during weekday business hours, your home will be on the market a very long time.   Just like you, people work during the day and house hunt during off hours.   I agree 5 minutes lead time is not ideal or reasonable, but it also boils down to how much you want to sell your house.  The last house we sold was a last minute appt on the day of a scheduled open house.  The appt was a couple hours prior to the OH and I was called 30 minutes before.   Sure, 30 minutes is better than 5, but you just don't know who your buyer will be.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 01:16:24 PM »
I've had my late mom's house on the market for 6 months now.

We've had over 20 showings and have dropped the price considerably.

And we haven't seen a single offer.

I don't live over there so I don't have to worry about short notice.  We have had a couple of showings on short notice.  But, the bulk of our showings have been mid afternoon in the middle of the week.  Only a handful have been early on a Saturday morning.

What boggles my mind is the feedback that we get.  People not liking the yard or the floorplan.  We have a floorplan posted online and there are many pictures of the very wooded backyard.

Yet, we still have people who come to see it who wanted a lofty great room and a fenced in grassy backyard--both of which are quite obviously not there if you look at our listing.

It just makes the process all the more frustrating.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 01:17:45 PM »

Yes in the US it's typical for owners to be out of the house when potential buyers are viewing it. It allows the people looking at the house to feel more comfortable giving it a good going over...look in cupboards and closets, discuss the attributes of the house which might include negative comments, etc.

If an hours notice is what you need, OP, then it's what you need. For me 30 minutes would be reasonable. But really, your home should be relatively clean if you are trying to sell it. Maybe every dish and every towel won't be sparkling, but I thought the standard advice was to have within a few minutes of showroom at all times which might be tidier than most people keep their homes on a day-to-day basis. If you really want to show your house, then it's in your own best interests to do so.

We once viewed a place where not only were the owners present, but the guy insisted on following us and our realtor around and talking "over" her!  While she was polite, I could see how annoyed she was getting.  The place had already been on the market for some time....wonder why?

It's true, that, unlike the UK, most realtors strongly recommend that the owners not be present during showings.  If it's absolutely impossible to leave, they should at least try to be as unobtrusive as possible i.e. maybe stay in the basement rec room during the showing.

The whole house-selling process involves lots of inconvenience, there's no way of getting around that.  But I agree with PPs that a house will likely take a very long time to sell if the vendors insist on weekday, daytime-only showings.