Author Topic: Saying "No" To the Realtors..  (Read 23262 times)

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: Saying "No" To the Realtors..
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 01:28:06 PM »

What boggles my mind is the feedback that we get.  People not liking the yard or the floorplan.  We have a floorplan posted online and there are many pictures of the very wooded backyard.

Yet, we still have people who come to see it who wanted a lofty great room and a fenced in grassy backyard--both of which are quite obviously not there if you look at our listing.

One thing to remember about buyer feedback is that the buyer is giving the agent feedback to help the agent find the perfect house for the buyer, not to help the seller in selling the house. When househunting, I'd tell the agent the floorplan didn't work or the kitchen didn't get enough sunlight or the kitchen was laid out funny. None of which could help the seller at all.

And some agents will take buyers to houses that do not meet the buyer's criteria. The very first time I went househunting, it was in a rural area, so not that many houses to chose from. I had two things I would not budge on--I did not want a raised ranch style house and I did not not want to be on a busy or noisy street.

Out of the 6 houses that agent showed me, 4 were raised ranches and 3 were on busy streets. One was three houses down from the fire station. "Oh, I know you aren't considering raised ranches, but just look at this one to help me get an idea of what you like," she'd say. The 7th house was another raised ranch and I just refused to enter and found a new agent the next day. I can easily see an agent telling a family, "Oh, you can just cut down all those trees and create a beautiful yard!"

I know getting feedback about the floorplan is frustrating, because what can you do about it? But just remember that the feedback isn't really meant for you so much as for the buyer's agent.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 09:54:57 PM »
When we sold our house last year, we told the realtor that we would not be giving her a key, we wanted two hours notice of visitors, and that we would not leave the house when potential buyers were present. When she objected, we told her that we could always find another agent, so she agreed. She also told us that the city required certain things that needed to be done so that we would pass the CO inspection, that the inspector told us were not required, and one item was actually illegal.

When my mother sold her house in 1986, she had originally given them a key, but demanded it back after an agent turned off the circuit breaker to the basement freezer.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to sell your house?  Is this common in your area?   I refuse to look at homes with the owner present as it makes me feel uncomfortable. 

When we were looking at homes during the past 9 months, we had one where the homeowners were present. We had scheduled an appointment the day before, and when we arrived and a young boy answered the door. We asked if they were aware they were coming. He said that they were. The kid was home, as well as a teenage boy, and the mom, who was doing work from home in her office, as a phone operator. Let's just say we didn't stay in that home for long. It was uncomfortable and I felt like we were intruding.

We only had a few showings when we listed our place, but yeah, it was exhausting. However, we knew the drill. We actually moved into a new home this weekend, and ended up getting renters for our place. We got a call from our property manager at 4 PM on a Sunday afternoon, saying that prospective tenants were wanting to tour the house in 15 minutes, and could we do that. It wasn't convenient, but we wanted the house rented, so we jumped up and left, and they are our new tenants.

Breezygirl

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 11:27:10 PM »
When we sold our last house we had it in the agreement we needed two hours notice for any viewings. Five minutes, no way!
Someday, somehow, somewhere.....

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 11:36:05 PM »
When we sold our last house we had it in the agreement we needed two hours notice for any viewings. Five minutes, no way!

A lot does depend on the particular market.  I agree that five minutes can be less-than-reasonable.  However, if it's a buyer's-market, and the vendor insists that 90-minutes lead-time is not enough - that could be a lost sale.  The eventual buyer can be just as likely to be one who made a same-day appointment as one who made one several days in advance.  There are always people who have to purchase quickly - perhaps a sudden job transfer, or they've very recently sold their own house.  So, sometimes, need-to-see-now buyers can be the most serious.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 01:12:50 AM »
When we sold our house last year, we told the realtor that we would not be giving her a key, we wanted two hours notice of visitors, and that we would not leave the house when potential buyers were present. When she objected, we told her that we could always find another agent, so she agreed. She also told us that the city required certain things that needed to be done so that we would pass the CO inspection, that the inspector told us were not required, and one item was actually illegal.

When my mother sold her house in 1986, she had originally given them a key, but demanded it back after an agent turned off the circuit breaker to the basement freezer.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to sell your house?  Is this common in your area?   I refuse to look at homes with the owner present as it makes me feel uncomfortable. 

When we were looking at homes during the past 9 months, we had one where the homeowners were present. We had scheduled an appointment the day before, and when we arrived and a young boy answered the door. We asked if they were aware they were coming. He said that they were. The kid was home, as well as a teenage boy, and the mom, who was doing work from home in her office, as a phone operator. Let's just say we didn't stay in that home for long. It was uncomfortable and I felt like we were intruding.

We only had a few showings when we listed our place, but yeah, it was exhausting. However, we knew the drill. We actually moved into a new home this weekend, and ended up getting renters for our place. We got a call from our property manager at 4 PM on a Sunday afternoon, saying that prospective tenants were wanting to tour the house in 15 minutes, and could we do that. It wasn't convenient, but we wanted the house rented, so we jumped up and left, and they are our new tenants.

I remember going to an OH in my old neighbourhood prior to listing our house.  I wanted to get an idea of the competition and other homes in the area.  I was  shocked when the entire family was there, mom and girls working in the kitchen, some playing puzzles at the kitchen table and the dad in the FR talking to prospective buyers.  It was the craziest and most uncomfortable OH / viewing I have ever been to.

Glad you found tenants!

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 06:43:56 AM »
I think it varies in the UK too. We sold and bought two years ago and were never home for any showings. This was recommened by our agent and we wholeheartedly agreed.

One couple was home when we went to see their house, but stayed in one room and apologised profusely for not being able to go anywhere.

Another house the owner deciced to show us around. We left rather quickly, it was really uncomfortable.

Five minutes notice is not ok. I would have suggested a later time, but would have also turned down such a short notice.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

deadbody

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 03:42:50 PM »

What boggles my mind is the feedback that we get.  People not liking the yard or the floorplan.  We have a floorplan posted online and there are many pictures of the very wooded backyard.

Yet, we still have people who come to see it who wanted a lofty great room and a fenced in grassy backyard--both of which are quite obviously not there if you look at our listing.

One thing to remember about buyer feedback is that the buyer is giving the agent feedback to help the agent find the perfect house for the buyer, not to help the seller in selling the house. When househunting, I'd tell the agent the floorplan didn't work or the kitchen didn't get enough sunlight or the kitchen was laid out funny. None of which could help the seller at all.

And some agents will take buyers to houses that do not meet the buyer's criteria. The very first time I went househunting, it was in a rural area, so not that many houses to chose from. I had two things I would not budge on--I did not want a raised ranch style house and I did not not want to be on a busy or noisy street.

Out of the 6 houses that agent showed me, 4 were raised ranches and 3 were on busy streets. One was three houses down from the fire station. "Oh, I know you aren't considering raised ranches, but just look at this one to help me get an idea of what you like," she'd say. The 7th house was another raised ranch and I just refused to enter and found a new agent the next day. I can easily see an agent telling a family, "Oh, you can just cut down all those trees and create a beautiful yard!"

I know getting feedback about the floorplan is frustrating, because what can you do about it? But just remember that the feedback isn't really meant for you so much as for the buyer's agent.

I hate the feedback thing ever since we got one where they refused to enter our house because the walk wasn't shoveled.  I'll agree the walk wasn't shoveled.  It had about an inch of snow on it.  Also it was still snowing::)  The house was also empty as we had already moved.  Ended up pulling the house from the market with no offers as it is a bad time to sell if you aren't willing to lose a lot of money.  Have tennants now. 

Although we looked at the house in question with about 10 mins notice.  Went to do a 2nd look at a couple properties during the day, was having a bit of trouble deciding and my agent asked if I wanted to check out a new property that just got listed that day.  I said why not, she called to see if we could get in there in about 10 mins (the time to drive there) were told yes, so sometimes it is possible.

General Jinjur

• This is serious business!
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 09:20:37 PM »
Our condo is on the market, and we ended up giving the realtor a set of keys. We've already moved, so no need to worry about disturbing us, and apparently people who snap up short sales to rent out like to see things on an instants' notice. I never worried much about the condition of the place, because according to the realtor, people who buy these short sales don't care. They're just happy if the plumbing and wiring is still intact.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 10:34:10 PM »

And some agents will take buyers to houses that do not meet the buyer's criteria.

This is so true.  I got feedback today which read:
"Those red counters were too much for these buyers. Would put a sign in the kitchen to give allowance. They are beautiful IF you like red. This buyer wanted a grassy backyard. Exterior brickwork is very pretty. Buyer didn't like the floorplan."

It's very frustrating.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 10:50:39 PM »
I don't like red and I think the counters are beautiful.

I don't think 5 minutes is enough time either, buy I too would have counter offered for and gone in to emergency cleaning mode.

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »
Yeah 5 minutes would not be enough time to clear out for most people.  My grandma lives with my sister and as she is diabetic she eats dinner at 5 pm sharp.  If they were notified at 4:10 chances are they would be cooking.

Or what if you have a baby that is napping?  An hour is much more reasonable.
93 93/93

Thyisa

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2011, 01:53:11 AM »
I doubt large families, or those with new children, strange pets (Like the aforementioned snake), or people with very particular needs are going to be able to clear out in a jiffy. Getting everyone out of my house generally takes longer then that to go to dinner!

However, I, like others, perfer if the owners are not home. Sorta strange to poke around basements trying to find signs of water damage or funky wiring with people hovering over you. However, I think I have only seen one house which was not empty, and I generally see houses during the Open House things realtors do here. Like others, I haven't seen cases where the people who owned the house were present.

As for feedback, not only do people give their agents feedback on what they want, pictures seem to be completely and utterly unhelpful. I've seen brochures for beautiful, antique homes with gorgeous wood paneling. Then you get to the house and its only two rooms. One house managed to hide the fact that the kitchen was spread across three rooms.

edgypeanuts

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2011, 09:41:42 PM »
The realtor pretty much has all day everyday to show the home, it just flustered me that when I got home and sat down to wind down I got the phone call that they are showing in five minutes. We do accomodate late showings, just not in 5 minutes notice.

Anyone else find it frustrating that even though Miriam said they accommodate late showings, several people felt the need to point out that it wasn't a good idea to only have the house available during working hours? :)

I certain understand needed to accommodate as many showings as possible, but for some families short notice just is not possible!  We keep our house picked up, but it takes me about 30-40 minutes just to load the pets, crates, litterboxes, pet stairs, etc into my car and if we didn't vacuum yet that day there will be pet hair in the corners of the hardwood floors.  We cannot afford to move until we sell, so we are doing the best we can to accommodate anyone who wants to see the house, but I also think that people need to realize that no matter how prepared you are, some people are not able to have the house ready that quickly, and it has nothing to do with how much they'd like to sell.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 10:40:50 PM »
The realtor pretty much has all day everyday to show the home, it just flustered me that when I got home and sat down to wind down I got the phone call that they are showing in five minutes. We do accomodate late showings, just not in 5 minutes notice.

Anyone else find it frustrating that even though Miriam said they accommodate late showings, several people felt the need to point out that it wasn't a good idea to only have the house available during working hours? :)

I certain understand needed to accommodate as many showings as possible, but for some families short notice just is not possible!  We keep our house picked up, but it takes me about 30-40 minutes just to load the pets, crates, litterboxes, pet stairs, etc into my car and if we didn't vacuum yet that day there will be pet hair in the corners of the hardwood floors.  We cannot afford to move until we sell, so we are doing the best we can to accommodate anyone who wants to see the house, but I also think that people need to realize that no matter how prepared you are, some people are not able to have the house ready that quickly, and it has nothing to do with how much they'd like to sell.

Not really, because a previous post (#16 I believe) did indicate that they still expected most of the showings to take place during daytime, weekdays. And for the most part, that just does not happen.  One exception might be OOT buyers who have allowed a few days to view houses in New Town - and even if these buyers have to view the place during evenings, they are likely to be very serious buyers.

30 minutes I think is reasonable enough; the buyers/realtors could kill a bit of time getting coffee, perhaps.  Insisting on an hour or two could be too much, though.

edgypeanuts

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2011, 10:18:36 PM »

a previous post (#16 I believe) did indicate that they still expected most of the showings to take place during daytime, weekdays.

Where?

30 minutes I think is reasonable enough; the buyers/realtors could kill a bit of time getting coffee, perhaps.  Insisting on an hour or two could be too much, though.

Some buyers may consider an hour or two to be too much, but my point was that for some people 30 minutes just is not possible, unless they want all my dogs crated in the dining room and barking at them!  (actually, no, I would never trust anyone in my house with my animals so they all come with me.)

I understand that realtors need to try and it is fine to ask, I just don't think that expecting short-notice showings to be possible is reasonable.