Author Topic: If you don't have anything nice to say...  (Read 6085 times)

Spoder

Re: If you don't have anything nice to say...
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 08:11:29 AM »
I guess I don't see the problem. It's a forum for discussing etiquette, not mathematical theorems or biological facts. There are tons of grey areas, as well as practices that are specific to particular regions/cultures. If someone is giving an always/never answer that you (general) think is incorrect, say so. Isn't that what leads to interesting discussions?

Because it's very...deadening to have someone who never contributes.  There are (or were; some may well have retired) some movie reviewers, for example, who hate all science fiction movies. They think they all are terrible and the review is basically bashing the genre.  If I read a review of that same movie by, say, Roger Ebert, and he hates it, I at least know why: bad acting, cheesy storyline and the ending was beyond ludicrous. 

The first is not adding to or starting a discussion; it's an opinion piece disguised as a review and they don't want to start a discussion. You can discuss why you think Roger's right or wrong.

Someone stomping into a Twilight thread and saying "Bella's stupid, Edward's a drip and I hate all vampire books!" isn't doing anything that can be discussed, either.

I was referring specifically to kareng57's post. Which doesn't really seem like at all the same situation as what you're talking about here. There's nothing 'deadening' about saying 'I think all XYZ's are inappropriate and incredibly rude', especially on an etiquette board. It's completely different to what you've described.

Maybe I don't understand what this thread is about.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 08:14:11 AM »
Spoder - we're specifically talking about people who come into a thread, can add nothing to the discussion, but leave a very negative post and then refuse to discuss their position.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Spoder

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 08:17:44 AM »
Spoder - we're specifically talking about people who come into a thread, can add nothing to the discussion, but leave a very negative post and then refuse to discuss their position.

Oh, okay. Thanks.  :) That's different, and I agree that it's annoying and not productive.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 04:46:57 AM »
Stewart/Colbert '16