Author Topic: that compliment made my day :)  (Read 1447 times)

dawbs

that compliment made my day :)
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:30:39 PM »
Yesterday, the dawbs household was having a *very* bad collective day.

While Mr Dawbs, myself, and Little Dab (age 1) were waiting for vehicle repair (because nothing like a flat tire that prevents you from going home to nap-time to make the grumpy baby more grumpy.  And the pocketbook lighter) and decided we might as well eat while we waited.  We went to a local place (Think 'TGI Fridays'--but not a national chain).

On my way out the door, a woman at the next table waved me over to tell me how good Little Dab had been--that they didn't even know she was there.
Considering we WERE dining-out at nap time, it warmed my heart.  (I can't take much credit though, heaven knows it's luck as much as anything.  Yesterday, she was interested in the cherrios I had stashed--tomorrow...who knows  ;))

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Re: that compliment made my day :)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 06:38:42 PM »
I always wonder about this - I want to compliment/thank parents, but I'm also concerned that they will get defensive if I do.
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

dawbs

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 06:40:20 PM »
I think most parents appreciate it.

I know my dad (who was a teacher and, well,  obviously had kids  ;) often does when he sees well behaved families.  usually they all just beam  ;D

gingerzing

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »
I don't do it all the time, but I have made comments to parents before on really well-behaved children. 
Once we were at a pizza buffet and the family behind us had a couple kids who sat when told to sit and eat, only asked one adult for quarters to play the video games (including please) and generally seemed like good kids.  Especially compared to two other tables nearby whose kids where ...less than stellar and the parents didn't even try to reign it in.  Hard to explain it, but if you remember the kids' magazine Highlights that had the Goofus and Gallant examples, it was like that.

As we left, I stopped by the mom of the group behind us (there were a mom, dad, grandma and a couple uncles along with the kids - we heard some conversations to lead me to this conclusion). I told her that her kids were really well-behaved and she should be so proud of them.