Author Topic: Spell Checkers Gone Mad.  (Read 2723 times)

pwv

Re: Spell Checkers Gone Mad.
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 08:02:41 AM »
A group I belong to is creating a cookbook of members' recipes.  The cookbook company has an online feature for entering recipes.  Everytime I used the word "crockpot", the spell checker wanted to change it to  "crackpot". 

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 09:20:15 AM »
I could use some crackpot recipes. Big Al up here is starting to get on my nerves!
Words mean things.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »
my cell phone thinks that every time I want to write the, I really mean Tue.
tue dog is out again, where is tue crate?  uargh.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 09:15:33 PM »
At my old job, I often corresponded via e-mail with someone named Pinucia. Spellcheck always wanted to change it to Pinocchio. I lived in constant fear that I'd accidentally call her Pinocchio!
The status is not quo!

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »
In doing medical transcription I've found myself making insidious typos that the computer doesn't catch, e.g. "food" for "foot", or "hell" for "heel."  I've got "hell" changed to "heel" in my shortcut software, but this has resulted in spelling Etiquette Hell as Etiquette Heel.

I did that recently.

We had an event at work that was my job to coordinate. I'd created and printed the logistics, which included the Dean introducing a particular keynote speaker at the podium.

The keynote speaker's first name: Kevin. What I typed: Devil. I did not notice it until the Dean's executive assistant started giggling hysterically when I gave her the logistics and asked if I had something against Dr. "Devil" Jones..

I at least corrected the logistics before the Dean saw my typo.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »
Find and replace does some fun ones.

A few years ago a friend read a book where every time you'd expect the word "matter," it said "Timer" instead, as in "That doesn't Timer." We figured out that the author--this was a self-help book involving some of her own experiences--had originally called one of the people in her anecdotes "Matt" and later changed his name to "Tim" for privacy and just did a find and replace on the whole manuscript. And since "timer" is a real word, I guess no one caught it...

Ran into the exact same problem when I was proofreading another friend's creative writing later. There was a sentence about how someone had a lot of "pZanelems." Yup, there was a character named Rob who had been changed to Zane.

Reika

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 06:20:50 PM »
Ah the infamous find and replace. A friend of mine once showed me a roleplaying book where they changed the word "mage" for a spellcaster to "wizard" instead. So you had things like da wizard, instead of damage.

MayHug

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 06:37:25 PM »
I recently had to take a co-worker to the emergency room due to back spasms. Our boss sent a text asking how it was going. I tried to reply " Going to give her two shots and get an xray" Somehow the iPhone corrected it to  " Going to give her two shots and get a crayon"

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 11:56:02 PM »
A few years ago I set up a board on a free forum hosting site that had a built-in word filter.

I created this board for myself and some cyberfriends whose previous Internet meeting place had been hijacked by a troll who had "Fork" in his username. I decided to name the board "The Dish and Spoon" (because no "Forks" would be allowed).

The word filter changed it to "The Dish and Sthingy." Because the last four letters of "spoon" spell the first half of a vulgar term for lady bits. (Hint: Second half rhymes with "gang").

Fortunately, as I was the admin, I was allowed to go in and customize the word filter, so the evil word "spoon" would be allowed.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 12:04:53 AM »
My Blackberry thinks the state abbreviation of MN (for Minnesota) should be MINUTE.  The first time I tried to text my address to someone, I got a very confused comment back asking when we added another state to the Union.  I can see programming "mn" (in lowercase) to be "minute", but MN (in caps) is an actual abbreviation.  I guess the people at RIM don't think Minnesota's real?

My BB does the same. I have to backspace out of MINUTE, and then it lets me do MN.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 07:59:33 AM »
also not an auto-correct, but my friend tried to blame it on that.

On our way to chicago for comic con, she was sending me nonsense texts. She sent one that said Johnny Depp.penis

Except..she didn't send it to me. She sent it to her dad. Who replied back with "....thanks, honey. You too."

So she sent back "oh, sorry..stupid auto correct!"

I asked her what she would do if he asked what she was originally trying to text..luckily he never did.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 08:05:06 AM »
Oh, and probably 8-10 years ago I was in this yahoo group where we talked a lot about medieval times, except for a while our posts would always say "medireview," even when we actually typed "medieval." Then, not long after, it went back to normal. My guess is that they were doing some kind of "eval" and then changed the name of it to "review" but accidentally affected the whole site.

Edit: Just googled, and here ya go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medireview
http://revealingerrors.com/medireview
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:08:01 AM by Yvaine »

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 01:38:37 PM »
In doing medical transcription I've found myself making insidious typos that the computer doesn't catch, e.g. "food" for "foot", or "hell" for "heel."  I've got "hell" changed to "heel" in my shortcut software, but this has resulted in spelling Etiquette Hell as Etiquette Heel.

I did that recently.

We had an event at work that was my job to coordinate. I'd created and printed the logistics, which included the Dean introducing a particular keynote speaker at the podium.

The keynote speaker's first name: Kevin. What I typed: Devil. I did not notice it until the Dean's executive assistant started giggling hysterically when I gave her the logistics and asked if I had something against Dr. "Devil" Jones..

I at least corrected the logistics before the Dean saw my typo.

Years ago, back when computers were brand new, I was a secretary.  One of my jobs was to type up minutes for a particular meeting, a meeting that I thought was a complete waste of time.  The departmental higher-ups agreed, but since it was a hospital regulation we still had to do it.

Well, once I typed up one set and sent it along to the clinic's highest ranking enlisted person.  He brought it back, and he was laughing.  I don't remember what the original line was, but I had typed, "This report is rot to fulfill the requirement (etc.)"  This early computer didn't have a spell checker, but I don't think it would have caught this anyway since I hadn't misspelled anything.  The sergeant said, "I know you think typing this report is a waste of time, but we really shouldn't say so."

LEMon

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 10:45:53 PM »
I am of the firm conviction that there is/was someone or some group of someones involved in writing the autocorrects that put those in as fun in the beginning.  Sort of lingunistic easter eggs that were intended to be removed before release. 

Either that, or revenge by someone leaving the company.

But they seem to be everywhere.  Hmm, vast conspiracy perhaps?  Now is the conspiracy to insert rude or odd words into texts, or to create humor?  Needs more thought.