Author Topic: Misuse of Foreigh Words.  (Read 5448 times)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: Misuse of Foreigh Words.
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 06:23:09 PM »
It depresses me that fewer and fewer people understand that it's "chaise longue" not "chaise lounge." Yes, you can lounge in it, but "chaise longue" is French for "long chair." Even the one person at my workplace who is an even bigger grammar/spelling/pronunciation geek than I am got this wrong. That's why I've developed the habit of changing it to "lounge chair."

I just call mine the fainting couch.

Bonus: my chaise has both arms. It's rare like that. It's okay. You mid-century furniture junkies can be jealous.
Words mean things.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 07:28:58 PM »
It depresses me that fewer and fewer people understand that it's "chaise longue" not "chaise lounge." Yes, you can lounge in it, but "chaise longue" is French for "long chair." Even the one person at my workplace who is an even bigger grammar/spelling/pronunciation geek than I am got this wrong. That's why I've developed the habit of changing it to "lounge chair."

Bonus: my chaise has both arms. It's rare like that. It's okay. You mid-century furniture junkies can be jealous.

I'm not a mid-century furniture junkie. Can I be jealous anyway??
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2011, 10:20:54 AM »
As an amusing aside, I recall the French side of a box of a certain popular cereal (I'm in Canada, where pretty much everything has an English side and a French side) used to translate to "Crunchy flakes of corn with a suspicion of honey."

"Suspicion" (soupcon, with the cedilla I'm not going to look up how to type), in French, is an actual gastronomic term, like "hint" in English.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 10:32:14 AM »

You wouldn't be if you saw it. It's in good shape structurally, but its fabric, oh dear Lord above, its fabric. It's mostly gold, with big sort-of-paisley-shaped leaves and vines, in olive and black. I think my grandparents had it re-covered in the '70s.
Words mean things.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 11:08:05 AM »
My parents were in a church in Austria which had a sign up saying that the church buildings were available for "Both sacred and profane purposes"
NE England

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »

You wouldn't be if you saw it. It's in good shape structurally, but its fabric, oh dear Lord above, its fabric. It's mostly gold, with big sort-of-paisley-shaped leaves and vines, in olive and black. I think my grandparents had it re-covered in the '70s.

If I ever get a time machine, I'm going to make it my life's goal to move the 80s up one decade.  Yes, music will be weird (I mean, Culture Club as a grunge band when the actual 80s rolls around and it's the 90s will be bizarre), but what are going to do?  I'm preserving the sight of millions here, people!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2011, 02:10:57 PM »

I think we had furniture similar to that when I was a kid. Gold paisley was quite the thing in the 70's. I'd be more upset if you said it was brown polyester - the really thick, nubby kind. :-X Some things should just be left to memory.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2011, 02:30:08 PM »
My parents were in a church in Austria which had a sign up saying that the church buildings were available for "Both sacred and profane purposes"

I want a picture of that sign!

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2011, 08:53:16 PM »
At a hostel in Holland I saw a sign saying "Please do not feed the pigeon."

I thought it was just poor English that they hadn't pluralised "pigeon"; the courtyard at the hostel had TONS of pigeons that hung out there so I figured they were just discouraging hostel guests from feeding them and attracting even more.  Then I went out into the courtyard and actually saw the pigeons.

There was one that was seriously about triple the size of the other pigeons, then I realised what the sign meant.  Just don't feed THAT pigeon.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 08:55:43 PM »
At a hostel in Holland I saw a sign saying "Please do not feed the pigeon."

I thought it was just poor English that they hadn't pluralised "pigeon"; the courtyard at the hostel had TONS of pigeons that hung out there so I figured they were just discouraging hostel guests from feeding them and attracting even more.  Then I went out into the courtyard and actually saw the pigeons.

There was one that was seriously about triple the size of the other pigeons, then I realised what the sign meant.  Just don't feed THAT pigeon.

Somethign about that cracked me up! I'm just picturing that pigeon.
The status is not quo!

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2011, 08:57:46 PM »
He looked like the Godfather pigeon from "Goodfeathers" on Animaniacs.  Just...really freakin' big. LOL.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2011, 09:03:10 PM »
He looked like the Godfather pigeon from "Goodfeathers" on Animaniacs.  Just...really freakin' big. LOL.

I literally laughed out loud at that. The cat lying next to my head was not amused.
The status is not quo!

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2011, 09:06:50 PM »
LOL.  My apologies to your cat.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2011, 01:35:21 PM »
This is not so much the "sign" that was wrong, but me. ;) I got a survey in the mail from the post office about which services I use most, and one morning... before I put on my glasses... I glanced at it on the counter and thought one option was, "Flying Monkey Orders."

You know, the things from Wizard of Oz that scared the snot out of me as a little kid. I must admit my first thought was evil glee, like, "I can sic those on people through the post office?! YES!"

Then I realized it actually read, "Buying Money Orders."  ::) Much more boring.
~Lynn2000

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2011, 07:58:48 PM »
Flying Monkey Orders?  Who WOULDN'T use that??
"After all this time?"
"Always."