Author Topic: Misuse of Foreigh Words.  (Read 5308 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Misuse of Foreigh Words.
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2011, 09:39:57 PM »
CRUD MONKEYS, that's where my post went! I meant to put it in the "signs that crack you up" thread! ::face palm:: When I couldn't find it there I thought the computer had eaten it.  ::) Sorry, everyone... No foreign words there, just me not reading my single known language correctly...
~Lynn2000

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2011, 09:43:37 AM »
The biggest source of amusement for me comes from English translations on menus when I'm holidaying abroad.

"Steak wit sauce" is one I see frequently. I always wonder what kind of humour it'll have?

Ireland
Check out my handmade cards -
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsnCraftsbyCarol

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 10:09:15 AM »
Saucy humour, of course! ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 09:41:50 PM »
Saucy humour, of course! ;D

Ba-dum kshhh!
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2011, 12:56:43 AM »
It depresses me that fewer and fewer people understand that it's "chaise longue" not "chaise lounge." Yes, you can lounge in it, but "chaise longue" is French for "long chair." Even the one person at my workplace who is an even bigger grammar/spelling/pronunciation geek than I am got this wrong. That's why I've developed the habit of changing it to "lounge chair."

Actually, "chaise lounge" is equally correct in America.  We have one, and I just avoided calling it by name for the first few years because I couldn't figure out whether I'm saying it right or wrong.  (I finally defaulted to "chase" like DH says it.)

My parents were in a church in Austria which had a sign up saying that the church buildings were available for "Both sacred and profane purposes"

That's actually not wrong, just antiquated.  "Profane" has a secondary meaning of "not devoted to religious purposes," usually paired opposite "sacred."

saffron

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2011, 05:46:58 PM »
At a hostel in Holland I saw a sign saying "Please do not feed the pigeon."

I thought it was just poor English that they hadn't pluralised "pigeon"; the courtyard at the hostel had TONS of pigeons that hung out there so I figured they were just discouraging hostel guests from feeding them and attracting even more.  Then I went out into the courtyard and actually saw the pigeons.

There was one that was seriously about triple the size of the other pigeons, then I realised what the sign meant.  Just don't feed THAT pigeon.

I have tears streaming down my face I'm laughing so hard. I can just picture countless tourists making the same assumption you did and then suddenly it dawns on them.  :D

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2011, 08:39:57 PM »
I sincerely wish I had a picture of Pigeonzilla, he was truly formidable.
"After all this time?"
"Always."