Author Topic: Names/Nicknames  (Read 8504 times)

Snooks

Names/Nicknames
« on: September 28, 2011, 04:36:09 PM »
I wondered if any other countries have common nicknames?  In the UK if your last name is Clark or Clarke you might get called Nobby and in London if you're called Charles you might get called Wag.  I have no idea why those names lead to those nicknames but they do.  The other one is John being Jack but I'm fairly sure that's universal.  Sandy for Alexander is one from Scotland.

lovestoread

Re: Names/Nicknames
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:45:47 PM »
A few Scottish ones:

Hugh - Shug
John - Ian
Robert - Rab

International ones:
Elizabeth - Betty
Isabelle/Isabella - Isa

I'l come back and post more if I remember..

My first real blog!!  (all comments appreciate

lovestoread

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »
OOh!  use surnames, or add Y to any surname...

Coxy, Fawkesy, ....

My first real blog!!  (all comments appreciate

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 05:16:17 PM »
In my neck of the woods, men's "B" names and names that have "B" nick names can get turned into Bubba.  Like Brian and Bob.  Bubba can also mean "Brother."
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:22:01 PM »
My mother had an Aunt Jennie who, for reasons unknown, was called Jane. (It was from her that I got my middle name, which I gave to my daughter as a first name.)

As far as I know, Jennie was her full given name - not short for anything. Jane was the nickname.

Nibsey

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 05:36:53 PM »
We have alot of surnames that start with O'letter, like O'Brien or O'Donnell. So say your name was Peter O'Dowd, your nickname would be Pod, or Cillian O'Byrne is Cob.
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:19:50 PM »
Not so much a name, but if someone is tall they will get called Shorty, and if they have red hair, Bluey. My name starts with a C and I get a Z put at the end of the first two letters.

Victoria

pharmagal

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 07:27:30 PM »
Pretty much any male name starting with B or D in Australia will be shortened to Bazza or Dazza. Same with any female names with C, K or Sh = Cazza, Kazza and Shazza.

Or - male names will suddenly have an O on the end - Davo - Bobbo - Kaneo.

Odd.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 05:32:24 AM »
OOh!  use surnames, or add Y to any surname...

Coxy, Fawkesy, ....

My ds has a first name now commonly used as a last name and can have a Y added to it. :)
Stewart/Colbert '16

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 12:23:14 AM »
Here, my nickname was Babs, because it is a diminutive of my first name, but also a reference to Tiny Toon Adventures.  Also Anne, due to a song reference.

I also have a diminutive form of my name made by using -ie at the end, but making it the same name as a certain line of dolls.  But please, if you use that name, may the flying monkeys save you!  :P

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 12:23:59 AM »
Here, my nickname was Babs, because it is a diminutive of my first name, but also a reference to Tiny Toon Adventures.  Also Anne, due to a song reference.

I also have a diminutive form of my name made by using -ie at the end, but making it the same name as a certain line of dolls.  But please, if you use that name, may the flying monkeys save you!  :P

But can I alter it to Babsie?

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 12:28:05 AM »
There was chain-store dress shop in England called Dorothy Perkins, my UK cousin and her friends called it Dotty P's.  My Australian sister and I automatically christened it Dozza's.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 12:30:13 AM »
There was chain-store dress shop in England called Dorothy Perkins, my UK cousin and her friends called it Dotty P's.  My Australian sister and I automatically christened it Dozza's.

There's a chain restaurant here in the US called Don Pablo's. My ex-h and his best friend used to call it Donny P's, which drove me insane. I'd say, "Wait. Don isn't a name it's a title...oh, never mind."

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 02:47:12 AM »

But can I alter it to Babsie?

Yes!  That was one of my favorites when I was younger.  :D

My sister and I would also be known, together, as PB&J due to some fun with initials, and sweet pea for her due to same initial fun.  My friend, whose name I change but to a similar example, has a long name, similar to Bartholomew.  He's pretty happy being called Bart, but some people like calling him Barth, which annoys him.

And I find it fascinating how Mary became Molly (apparently, it was how the name was pronounced at one point in history or another. :)

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 08:47:29 AM »

And I find it fascinating how Mary became Molly (apparently, it was how the name was pronounced at one point in history or another. :)

And then Molly somehow morphed into Polly. While Polly can be a nickname for Paula, it was in the past a nickname for Mary. I think the main character in Louisa May Alcott's "Old Fashioned Girl" was named Mary, but everyone called her Polly.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn