Author Topic: Birthday Gift from a Stranger  (Read 1729 times)

Susiqzer

Birthday Gift from a Stranger
« on: September 30, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
I've been meaning to post this story for ages...

Many years ago, I was a server at a popular chain restaurant. I'd just transferred from a location near my parents' home to one near school, and ended up starting at the new store on my birthday.

Toward that end of my first shift, I mentioned to another server that I was glad we were on the "early closing" side of the restaurant, because I had friends coming over to celebrate later.

Not five minutes later, I had a swarm of my fellow servers singing Happy Birthday to me in the middle of my section.  :)

That was sweet, but not even the nicest part of the story!

One of my last customers was saddened that I had to work on my birthday. I explained that I'd felt silly asking to start on a later date, but it was ok as I was getting out early anyway. We chatted a bit more about how the new school year was starting up, and I was away from home. She mentioned that her son had also just left for school.

Before she left, she came up to me, gave me a hug and pushed a $20 bill into my hand. She said that it was a birthday gift, not a tip (and there was actually a separate tip on the table!) and she wanted me to have a little fun on her, "since my mom wasn't in the area to spoil me herself."

I've never forgotten that amazing kindness from someone I'd never met before. I hope to be just like her when I grow up!

ncgal

Re: Birthday Gift from a Stranger
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 12:50:47 PM »
Love that story!

Ruelz

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 01:04:45 PM »
Very sweet! :D
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow

Silversurfer

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 05:02:28 AM »
How nice! that is so sweet. I want to be like her when i grow up too!