Author Topic: Is this rude? . . . Wasting food. OP #137, pg. 10  (Read 14726 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Is this rude? . . . Wasting food. OP #137, pg. 10
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:02:44 PM »
Occasionally, I buy baby food just for the jars. I dump the food and fill the jars with my own goodies . . . okay, horseradish.

Today, I went to the grocery store and bought 15 jars of baby food. I plan on dumping the food, putting the jars in the dishwasher and filling them with my horseradish. I've been doing this for years. The baby food jars are perfect size (the largest jars) and I haven't found jars of this size for this price ($0.80/each) that would fill my need . . . I first started using the baby food jars when my DDs were actually eating baby food.

I do not buy 15 jars of the same food, which would totally deplete the stores supply of that particular item. I buy 2 of this, 3 of that so that the shelves are still stocked with plenty of the same items.

It just so happened that I was buying a couple of tin-foil baking pans that I needed for something else, so I neatly laid the baby food jars into the tin-foil pan and moved the whole shebang to the check-out belt.

Checker looked and asked "Wow. Is this some kind of meal?"

I joked and said "Yeah. Baby food casserole." He laughed and said "Um. Yum?"

Bagger (a woman about my age) asked me "Is this all for one baby?"

Me: No, actually, I'm just buying it for the jars.

Bagger: If you don't mind my asking, what do you use the jars for?

Me: I make horseradish and give it away. The jars are perfect size for a gift.

Checker: What do you do with the food?

Me (suddenly feeling like a heel for wasting food): Um. I dump it?

Checker: What a waste.

I mean, I'm paying for the product. Does it matter what I do with the product once I purchase it? Am I rude for wasting food?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:44:42 PM by jpcher »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Is this rude? . . . Wasting food.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 08:05:48 PM »
I don't know that rude is the right word but it does seem wasteful.  I might see if I could connect with somebody with a baby and offer to buy them the food if I could get the jars.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 08:07:34 PM »
It's none of their business. 

Yes, it's wasteful. 

If you wanted to, you could find friends who needed baby food (I actually used to eat the baby food peaches as a dessert pudding), and ask them to give the jars back to you.

Or you could post on Craigslist/Freecycle, asking if anybody had some they wanted to get rid of. 

But it's nobody's business, and those options might be more effort than you think the jars are worth.

Most likely, nobody would have blinked if you had bought four or five for a baby shower game, but the quantity did invite attention.   
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Wittyone

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 08:10:54 PM »
I don't think it is rude.  Maybe a tad wasteful, but not by much in the long run, and certainly nobody's business but your own.  I'm actually surprised that 15 jars invited any attention at all.  When my kids were eating baby food I'd buy probably 20 jars at once, every time I went to the store.
California

CoffeeZombieMommy

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 08:13:01 PM »
You could always use it yourself.  There are a lot of recipes that use purees to add extra veggies to a dish.  These same recipes often say subbing with baby food makes it easier.

Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld is one of them.

Just a thought, then it wouldn't be a waste and you could have extra veggies in your meal.

But I don't think it's rude to buy it and dump it either.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 08:16:03 PM »
It's not rude, but my friend who enjoys baby food would call it wasteful. Of course, I call her weird.  ;D I've known multiple people who enjoy the fruit varieties.
The status is not quo!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 08:20:19 PM »
You could contact a local rescue/shelter and see if they have kittens/shy/sick cats. I gave mine ham baby food when they were  babies and to try to coax them out - worked like a charm. They get the food - you get to keep the jars.

It is wasteful but it's your money so you can decide if you want to waste it or not.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 08:24:13 PM »
I agree it's a bit wasteful but not rude.  Is there a veggie or fruit that you or someone might like?  Maybe you can buy the same food and put it all into one big container.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 08:25:26 PM »
another option might be to buy jars from a daycare.  you could probably get them cheaper that way and no food would be wasted.

Witty Username Goes Here

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 08:45:40 PM »
As long as you're buying the meat varieties, I don't think it's rude!  :p :)  Meat Baby Food is the worst!

LaciGirl007

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 08:48:48 PM »
I think it's wrong to waste food.

Here's a link to where you can get 4-ounce jars suitable for food use, at 43 cents per jar:
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-9934/Jars-Jugs/4-oz-Clear-Round-Wide-Mouth-Jars

ETA: I see now these aren't glass; off to keep Googling.  I can't believe there's not a source for empty 4 oz. glass jars.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:51:36 PM by LaciGirl007 »

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 08:50:18 PM »
I just realized I glossed over the most important part: homemade horseradish! That sounds awesome!  ;D
The status is not quo!

LaciGirl007

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »
Here's a link to 4 oz. glass canning jars that cost 67 cents each if you buy them in bulk:  http://www.freundcontainer.com/product.asp?pn=CJ650-B

Here's another style of 4 oz. glass jar that cost 48 cents each if you buy in bulk: http://www.freundcontainer.com/product.asp?pn=4404B01-B

I just checked ebay: someone's selling 50 empty baby food jars for $11.99.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:58:17 PM by LaciGirl007 »

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 08:57:44 PM »
well, you could buy 4 ounce canning jars.  they're pretty plentiful this time of year!

but as to the bagger's comments, she was way out of line.  she can have any opinion she wants, but she shouldn't have voiced it to you.  i wouldn't have had a problem if you had stopped at the service desk on your way out and mentioned her remarks. 

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 09:01:32 PM »
I did a search of my local area's Freecycle and there have been three offers of baby food jars in the last two months.  On the Craigslist for the city, there have been two posts in the last four days - well, four posts, but three were from the same person.

While I would think it's your right to dump the unneeded food down the disposal, it does seem wasteful and if I were in your shoes and could find another way to get the jars, I would.  I also think that checkers who comment on shoppers' purchases deserve a special spot in EHell.