News:

• April 26, 2018, 02:52:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Naked kids in front yard: Cool or uncool?  (Read 19218 times)

Sebastienne

Naked kids in front yard: Cool or uncool?
« on: October 01, 2011, 06:31:36 PM »
I just took the dogs out on a long walk, and as we were heading home, we saw two of our neighbors watching their kids playing in the sprinkler in the front yard. Happy family time!  Except the two kids were completely naked.  They were about 6 and 8 years old (at least that's my best guess)--definitely school-age.

Is it just me, or is that...if not rude, then inappropriate?  I'm not a prude by any means, and they were on their own property, but it seemed a little off to me. If you want to have naked happy family time, maybe have it in the backyard?

Thoughts?

ETA: OH! When I mentioned this to my husband, he reminded me that they live almost directly across the street from our friendly neighborhood Registered Offenders!  So now I have a follow-up question.  I've only talked to this couple maybe twice ever, but is there a way to let them know that they really, really, really should have naked time in the backyard?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 06:39:29 PM by Sebastienne »

Schmoopie3928

• I eat Paste
Re: Naked kids in front yard: Cool or uncool?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 06:42:09 PM »
Yeah. I think it's a bit much. In fact, I don't need to see any age kid naked unless it's a family member that I'm bathing/changing. I think it's too much. I've seen 4 and 5 to girls and boys swimming in just underpants, and that's even a bit much. I'm far from a prude, but 6 and 8? No.

MrsJWine

• I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 06:49:34 PM »
I think naked babies and toddlers are adorable. They're utterly ridiculous-looking, and that makes them hilarious. But even then, I don't appreciate being ambushed with the sight of random naked babies hanging out in their front yards. And naked 6- to 8-year-olds? Yeah, no. It's one thing in your backyard with some semblance of privacy, even if your backyard isn't fenced. But the front yard is just so public. I think it's inconsiderate.

I know a lot of these arguments say, "We're far too uncomfortable with nudity in our society!" "Stop sexualizing children!" and other things like it. Listen, our society is not a nudist society. You don't have to like it, but that doesn't change the fact that people aren't prepared for the sight of random nude people while out for a stroll. And you don't need to be sexualizing children to be uncomfortable with a stranger's almost preteen child running around naked in her front yard.

I have no idea what the law or etiquette says on this, but in my opinion, this is neither wise nor considerate of your neighbors.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

HorseFreak

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »
Personally, I don't like to see naked kids of ANY age, babies included. Topless toddlers and younger I'm fine with, but everyone needs their genitals covered. This is coming from someone whose parents couldn't keep clothes on them :).

gramma dishes

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 06:52:39 PM »
When I mentioned this to my husband, he reminded me that they live almost directly across the street from our friendly neighborhood Registered Offenders!  So now I have a follow-up question.  I've only talked to this couple maybe twice ever, but is there a way to let them know that they really, really, really should have naked time in the backyard?

Oh my!!

First of all, if you're even close to the correct ages of the kids, it's long past time for them to be running around naked outside, front yard or back!  Honestly, most kids I know who are about those ages wouldn't want to do that.  Swimming suits for children don't cost much and would seem appropriate for this situation.

But given the additional information about one of their neighbors, it seems even MORE unwise to have nude children running around playfully.  How is it that you know about the presence of the sex offender and they don't?    Are they new to the neighborhood?

I think you should approach it gingerly, and stress that you aren't being judgmental, but just tell them you noticed the children playing and ask if they were aware of their neighbor's ... uh ... propensities.  The parents really should know.  I'd want to know.  (But then again, my children didn't play in the sprinkler even in the back yard without swimsuits!!)

Sharnita

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 06:55:11 PM »
While it sounds like it would be wise if the kids were clothed, not all offenders are child predators.  Maybe the neighbors have information about the specifics of his crime and feel he is not a threat, maybe they don't.

Balletmom

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 06:56:13 PM »
Six and Eight are far too old to be naked in public, unless their parents live in nudist colonies.

I would make an anonymous call to local LE and mention that they live across the street from Registered Sex Offender.

I really think the message of "This is not appropriate, and you're asking for trouble" will be given far better reception from someone in uniform than just a neighbor walking a dog.

Even the backyard may not be appropriate. We had major concerns with Neighbor's son, who made inappropriate comments about YDD and other girls on the high school bus. We have a fence and an 8 foot hedge around our pool, and he still could describe the kind of bathing suit she wore. Fortunately he went to live with his mother before we had to take further steps. At first, I was rather naive in feeling sorry that the other boys on the bus were threatening to beat him up--then I realized that his comments were provoking a very natural response from the other boys--since YDD was about 12 at the time.

I have since learned that with this neighbor,  people in LE uniforms talking gets a whole lot better response than just myself or DH.

Brentwood

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »
While it sounds like it would be wise if the kids were clothed, not all offenders are child predators.  Maybe the neighbors have information about the specifics of his crime and feel he is not a threat, maybe they don't.

Agreed. Besides, even if the offender is a child predator, it won't make much difference to him WHAT the kids wear in the sprinkler.

At any rate, I do think kids of that age should have swimsuits or t-shirts and shorts or something for front-yard sprinkler-running.

gramma dishes

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 07:07:32 PM »

...  people in LE uniforms talking gets a whole lot better response than just myself or DH.

You know, Balletmom makes an excellent point.  If LE knows, they almost certainly will take steps to let the parents know that their naked children romping on the lawn is inappropriate.  And it would allow you to avoid having any personal direct connection to the whole incident.  After all, if you saw them, probably a lot of other neighbors did too and the parents won't have any way of finding out which neighbor reported the situation to the police.

Balletmom

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »

Yes, but they don't know about the other neighbors. Sadly, we had to tell our DDs around the age of 5 or so, that they could only go to X or Y neighbors for help, or go in their houses. It's not the people you know about that can harm your child, it's the ones you don't.

Surianne

• Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 07:15:46 PM »
Wouldn't bother me at all.  With kids who hadn't start developing yet, even as old as 8, this was pretty normal where I grew up.  I think it's one of those things that really varies by region and cultural background -- and even neighbourhood culture sometimes. 

(In my family my dad's side was totally cool with skinny dipping, and my mom was the one who had to ban me from doing it when I turned 13 and looked less like a kid.  Sadly, "But dad and grandma get to swim naked!!!" was not an acceptable defense ;D )

Sebastienne

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 07:21:59 PM »
First of all, I'm glad it's not just me.  I don't want to be judgmental, but I also don't want to see anyone's bits hanging out in public, regardless of age.  There are a lot of kids in the neighborhood, and lot of them play in the sprinkler, but the rest of them seem to wear bathing suits.

If it makes any difference, the parents seem to be of the hippie persuasion, at least based on the vintage Vanagon they drive.

I like the idea of a friendly call to the non-emergency number.  We know about the offenders because we checked the registry when we moved here last year,. It gives a risk assessment and gender/age info on the victims--and I'd be concerned if I had kids that age, honestly. If it's not actually a big deal, it's not a big deal, but I'd imagine the local authorities are better gauges of that than I am.  I just hate to think that I'm overreacting or overstepping my bounds.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 07:25:51 PM »
Yeah, I'd call the non-emergency # too. Better a friendly word from an authority than a not so friendly word from an offended neighbor( not you), or something worse.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

afbluebelle

• Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
    • Wounded vet fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »
Cities frown on public nudity... that's just how it goes. I'm on the fence about the appropriateness of nakedness by itself, but I don't want to see it in town. Way too many chances of something going horribly wrong, and saying something might get the "why were you looking at my naked kid???? :torches and pitchforks: "Get 'Im"!!! to the poor person that tries to bring it up. I usually don't like involving LEO in a neighborhood manner, but this has potential for trouble written all over it.

I like swimming naked... thats why :insert creation theory here: made full moons and privacy fences/other bodies of water. ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

My Wounded Vet Fundraiser for World's Toughest Mudder! https://www.crowdrise.com/deeannthomastoughmudderwtm/

Erich L-ster

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 07:34:57 PM »
I would say age 2 and under-fine; age 3-4 iffy; 4+ needs a bathing suit or some shorts.