News:

• April 19, 2018, 01:22:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Naked kids in front yard: Cool or uncool?  (Read 19130 times)

Spoder

Re: Naked kids in front yard: Cool or uncool?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 07:59:41 PM »

I know a lot of these arguments say, "We're far too uncomfortable with nudity in our society!" "Stop sexualizing children!" and other things like it. Listen, our society is not a nudist society. You don't have to like it, but that doesn't change the fact that people aren't prepared for the sight of random nude people while out for a stroll. And you don't need to be sexualizing children to be uncomfortable with a stranger's almost preteen child running around naked in her front yard.

I have no idea what the law or etiquette says on this, but in my opinion, this is neither wise nor considerate of your neighbors.

I completely agree. I think we *are* too uncomfortable with nudity in our society, especially children's nudity, but at the same time - it is what it is.

Perhaps these neighbours are being a bit naive about the time/place in which they actually live, as opposed to the one in which they wish they lived. A quiet heads-up from somebody would be a good thing.

Miriam

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 08:17:09 PM »
I ran around naked as a kid. We didn't have fences on our two acres at the old house. When we moved to a suburban neighborhood the neighbors got quite a shock from the little girl jumping on the trampoline naked. We learned our lesson after that.
"All Was Well"

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 09:10:04 PM »
I think that 6 and 8 are too old to be running naked around a suburban front lawn.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

katycoo

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 09:16:02 PM »
I agree that by 6 and 8, you're past appropriate front yard nudie time.

I wholeheartly POD the poster who pointed out that not all registered offenders are child predators and I think this is very important to bear in mind.  If you do tell the neighbours about this registered offender I would be sure to point this out, and say that you have no idea why he's a registered offender. 

In this instance I do believe it would be appropriate to clothe the children, or have them play in the backyard, for both RO and the comfort of other neighbours.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 10:09:08 PM »
Certainly by the time one is 6, one should be clothed at all times in public-even in the front yard.  I'd say that this should start by age 2 or 3 at the latest, whether or not there's a registered offender (sex or otherwise) in the area.  The children need to get used to the idea that covering their bodies is necessary.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Xallanthia

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 10:23:10 PM »
I would say age 2 and under-fine; age 3-4 iffy; 4+ needs a bathing suit or some shorts.

Agreed.  I remember being ~5 and being allowed to run around the back yard (and then, BACK yard) with no shirt on (because Dad and Bro could....) but front yard?  no way.

Spoder

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 10:39:03 PM »
I would say age 2 and under-fine; age 3-4 iffy; 4+ needs a bathing suit or some shorts.

Agreed.  I remember being ~5 and being allowed to run around the back yard (and then, BACK yard) with no shirt on (because Dad and Bro could....) but front yard?  no way.

My nephews are 1.5 and 2.5 and they love running around naked. They're allowed to stay bare in the backyard but diapers/pants are the absolute minimum for going out the front.

Rohanna

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 10:48:31 PM »
If the kids had swim bottoms on, then I wouldn't have a prob with pre-teen girls going topless while splashing around in a kiddy pool or the sprinkler (and here, any woman can legally, if she chooses), but after about 2 kids really should have the underwear region covered in the public eye, in most North American places. I am sure there are parts of the world that care less, but then again- there are parts that care a whole lot more as well...so you can only go by the standards of your region.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

nolechica

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 01:30:39 AM »
Instead of LE, if I didn't want to be the bad guy, is there an HOA?

Bijou

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 08:38:06 AM »
In this world?  Not cool, at all!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Shea

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 01:11:54 PM »
If the kids had swim bottoms on, then I wouldn't have a prob with pre-teen girls going topless while splashing around in a kiddy pool or the sprinkler (and here, any woman can legally, if she chooses), but after about 2 kids really should have the underwear region covered in the public eye, in most North American places. I am sure there are parts of the world that care less, but then again- there are parts that care a whole lot more as well...so you can only go by the standards of your region.

I agree. I do feel that calling the authorities on the family is a bit OTT, unless it's actually against some sort of ordnance for children to be naked in their front yards, or maybe if you have positive knowledge that the registered offender across the way is a child predator (there's a very good chance he's not). Otherwise, avert your eyes (possibly while rolling them) and ignore.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »
I wouldn't be comfortable seeing somebody else's kids running around naked someplace that wasn't designated as nudist space. Not only are there the "Why were you looking at my kid!" torch-and-pitchfork types to contend with, but there's also my upbringing- I was taught that certain things are private, we don't show our private parts to others, or look at other's parts. Therefore when I see certain body parts out in public, I feel like I've seen something I shouldn't.
Now, in a nudist-friendly area, that's a whole other thing- one expects it, and after a while the shock factor wears off. But a suburban or urban setting? No, just no.

Twik

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
For those who say, don't bother about it, how old would the children have to be before it does become an issue? If a nubile 17 year old girl and her well-developed 15 year old brother are disporting on the lawn, can the neighbours complain?
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 03:43:54 PM »
Not cool, even without the info on the across the street residents.  I would have no issue if it was in the backyard, out of view of the whole street, with just a potential view from the closest neighbours.

6 and 8 is definitely too old.  Toddlers, I might let go but 6 and 8?

With regards to the across the street residents, if I knew the neighbours well, I'd just talk to them and bring it to their attention.  But without knowing them well, I think I'd call the non-emergency number and ask the police for advice.  At the very least, they might look up what the offender is registered for and if it is for kids the age of the ones on the lawn, they might drop by and have a little chat with the neighbours.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Sebastienne

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
OP here.  As I mentioned upthread, the registry info in our state includes the ages and gender of victims. Yes, one of the offenders is a child predator, classified as a "high risk" (I'm not as concerned about the other one who lives in the same house).  Hence my concern.

I do agree that it feels reactionary to go to the authorities about this, especially since the family was obviously just having some innocent fun in their yard. And my initial question was really, "Am I alone in thinking this is eye-roll worthy?"  Which, yeah, I still think.

My husband and I are both still on the fence about whether we should say anything. We don't have a HOA, but we do have an official Neighborhood Police Officer, who is awesome and beloved by all.  I might just drop him a quick email (without identifying the family in question) to see if it's actually worth following up. At the same time, though, I'd feel like a total narc if I did so.