News:

• April 26, 2018, 02:50:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Naked kids in front yard: Cool or uncool?  (Read 19217 times)

Twik

Re: Naked kids in front yard: Cool or uncool?
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 03:51:21 PM »
If nothing else, I would worry about pictures being taken, if you know what I mean.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Aquamarine

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 04:04:26 PM »
Very uncool, I don't want to see this.  I would let the police know this is happening through their non-emergency number.  If the parents are too dense to figure out why this is a bad idea at any age perhaps the police can help them sort it out and understand.

This is what fenced backyards are for.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

Miss Bee

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »
Is it possible that your neighbors are European?  If so, this would be a cultural thing.  I have a German friend who thinks it odd that American kids have to wear bathing suits before the age of 7 or 8.  According to said friend and her family European kids in general, esp. in the north, just swim and play in the water naked until they're 7 or 8. 

Or maybe they're just young hipsters who want to break with tradition? 

In eitehr situation, if it were me, I would approach them as politely as possible and voice your concerns.  They probably have no idea there is a sexual predator in the neighborhood.  Tjhey probably have no idea they're making you, and probably others, upset about this.  Btw, I wouldn't tell them you're "upset", just mention the predator issue, and if they're not from the U.S, definitely go ahead and mention that this is not the custom here.  They may be grateful for your mentioning it to them.

I think going to the authorities - before you speak directly with neighbors - is really over the top.  It will upset them, even if they don't know who reported it.  They'll know someone did.  It would just make them uncomfortable.  Speak with them directly. 

And not related to children going nude, but an experience I had myself with European vs. U.S. attitudesIn college, one year, we had a student from Norway in our dorm.  When early summer hit, we all would go sunbathing on the front lawn of the dormitory.  One day. Norwegian girl comes out, lays out her stuff, says Hello to all of us, who are also sunbathing, then whips off her top. While my two friends and I discussed whether or not to say anything to her, suddenly out of nowhere seemingly a group of guys show up righrt in front of us to play hacky-sack.  ::)  My friend went over and sat beside her, and said something like, "I feel bad having to tell you this but it's actually against the law here for you to be topless in public."  Norway girl was embarrassed but thanked us profusely.  It was a good conversation opener anyway, haha.  Believe it or not, I cannot for the life of me remember her name. 

katycoo

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2011, 11:26:09 PM »
OP here.  As I mentioned upthread, the registry info in our state includes the ages and gender of victims. Yes, one of the offenders is a child predator, classified as a "high risk" (I'm not as concerned about the other one who lives in the same house).  Hence my concern.

Mostly out of my own interest, but does the registry tell you:

a.  The age of the offender at the time of the incident?
b.  The date or year of the incident?
c.   Details of the incident?

I ask as a drunk man urinating in the park, could be listed as'victimising a young girl' if a young girl saw him.

I'm familiar with many situations where a person is unjustly registered (IMO) and i'm quite conscious about not tainting men with the pedophile brush when it isn't warranted.

AuntyEm

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2011, 02:05:39 AM »
I currently live in a northern European country where women commonly are topless on the beach and children often are partially or totally naked.  The topless part, while it took a time or two to get used to has never really bothered me, though I have to admit that I don't feel so comfortable seeing dad sitting there with his topless teenage daughters.  However, having the lower half uncovered, even on toddlers does bother me.  It just looks kind of tacky, like they can't afford a little bathing suit or that their parents just don't care.  I guess my American roots are too deep.  In the States, in the front yard, not appropriate.

AngelBarchild

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2011, 02:27:38 AM »
I can't get upset about naked children. The only reason we cover cretin parts of our bodies is because they are culturally considered sexual. Prepubescent children are not sexual creatures. To require that they cover up says that we consider these body parts sexual on children. That I think is wrong.

As for deviants being aroused by children, well people are aroused by hands as well and I'm not going to go around wearing gloves all year long.

I am not saying we should not protect our children. But the chances of  someone swooping in and stealing these kids out from under their parents noses is so statistically so unlikely as to be a non-risk.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:05:12 AM by AngelBarchild »

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2011, 06:07:24 AM »
I would also worry about pictures.   Does anyone's cell phone not have a camera?  As for the information available through the offenders' registry, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I may watch too much Law & Order SVU, but I think that program does serve a positive purpose.

nolechica

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2011, 06:22:39 AM »
I would also worry about pictures.   Does anyone's cell phone not have a camera?  As for the information available through the offenders' registry, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I may watch too much Law & Order SVU, but I think that program does serve a positive purpose.

I'm one SVU over the line, but I find bathing suits on young kids overrated.  I remember fighting with my prudish mother about going topless in the backyard as a kid.   

veryfluffy

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2011, 07:16:29 AM »
I don't see this as a case of sexual/nonsexual, or that the presence in the neighbourhood of registered offenders is relevant in terms of acceptability. Put it this way -- if it was a 90 year old granny who liked to hang out in the front yard naked, it also wouldn't be a question of sexual/nonsexual, would it? (And for all you know, the registered offender is someone who preyed on elderly people, not children. Sadly, those do exist too.)

The issue is simply one of public decency and acceptable standards.

ettiquit

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2011, 08:10:12 AM »
OP here.  As I mentioned upthread, the registry info in our state includes the ages and gender of victims. Yes, one of the offenders is a child predator, classified as a "high risk" (I'm not as concerned about the other one who lives in the same house).  Hence my concern.

I ask as a drunk man urinating in the park, could be listed as'victimising a young girl' if a young girl saw him.

I'm familiar with many situations where a person is unjustly registered (IMO) and i'm quite conscious about not tainting men with the pedophile brush when it isn't warranted.

To the bolded: I had to read that through a few times before I realized that you are not the drunk man urinating in the park.   :P

katycoo

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2011, 01:25:32 AM »

I ask as because a drunk man urinating in the park, could be listed as'victimising a young girl' if a young girl saw him.

To the bolded: I had to read that through a few times before I realized that you are not the drunk man urinating in the park.   :P

I could be.  You don't know me.  ;)

Ugh.  that was poorly worded, wasn't it.  Fixed it.  :D 

ettiquit

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2011, 09:14:22 AM »

I ask as because a drunk man urinating in the park, could be listed as'victimising a young girl' if a young girl saw him.

I could be.  You don't know me.  ;)

Ugh.  that was poorly worded, wasn't it.  Fixed it.  :D

Thanks for my first laugh of the day.   :D

JillyJ

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2011, 09:49:36 AM »
I do agree that it feels reactionary to go to the authorities about this, especially since the family was obviously just having some innocent fun in their yard. And my initial question was really, "Am I alone in thinking this is eye-roll worthy?"  Which, yeah, I still think.

I disagree. Based on your update of the type of offenders living nearby, it might be worth it.  You aren't "reporting them" - you would be asking the authorities to have a discussion with them that could potentially save their children.  A child predator doesn't necessarily need the children to be naked, so these people need to be vigilant about their children in general.  Perhaps the authorities will not view talking to these parents as part of the scope of their job, but perhaps they can at least give you pointers about how to approach a discussion.  In other words, call the LE, and lead with, "I'm worried about my neighbors children, and think they may not be aware of the neighbors..." and let the LE guide you from there. 

Twik

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2011, 11:43:21 AM »
Would it still be innocent fun if videos of the frolicking end up on "that sort of website"? I imagine most parents would not be happy about that. And with the absolute explosion of interest in that stuff, and an offender across the street, I think it is not a low-risk possibility.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2011, 12:55:06 PM »
Sounds like the OP handled it well -- love the Gladys Kravitz line!

As it happens, I was just realizing how much standards have changed: I was just watching a Shirley Temple movie, Now and Forever. She was about 6 at the time and in one scene she was wearing a very unusual bathing suit: one piece with a strap that kind of looped around the neck -- with her nipples exposed. The DVD the movie was on also had a short film called the Runt Page (her very first film) in which all the characters (all pre-school children) wore only diapers and clothing that indicated their role (i.e. a reporter wore a fedora with a "Press" pass in the brim etc.), including Shirley (one of only two girls).

How times have changed!

I need to find that movie. I love shirley temple and I've never seen either of those.

But it sounds a little like my niece's first suit. It was just a little underwear looking bottom, no top at all. (It came with a top, but she hated it and it was easier to let her swim without it. By her second summer she wanted a suit just like mine, so she had a little pink swim-dress style.)