News:

• April 26, 2018, 02:49:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Naked kids in front yard: Cool or uncool?  (Read 19216 times)

Betelnut

Re: Naked kids in front yard: Cool or uncool?
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2011, 01:23:44 PM »
Topless at that age--okay by me.  Bottomless at that age?  No, they are too old.

I'm glad the OP came up with a good solution.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

JillyJ

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2011, 02:59:08 PM »
Just heard back from the NPO, who agreed that my concerns about the situation were warranted.  He's going to head over tomorrow to speak to the parents.  Hopefully, the story ends there, quite anticlimactically.

Thanks for all your advice--this thread has been a good sounding board!

Perfect - somehow missed your updates before I posted my last reply.  I think this was a great course of action, and I'm glad they will handle it. 

MrsJWine

• I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2011, 03:09:48 PM »
I think the predator across the street is... I can't think of the right word. "Irrelevant" is almost right, but not quite. Because I don't think that's completely irrelevant. Forewarned is forearmed, etc.

But I do think that no matter where you are, there are probably skeevy people all over the place, whether they're known or not. My philosophy when it comes to my kids is: Danger is everywhere. Someone or something horrible could happen to them at any moment. Do what I can to protect them, prepare them, and guide them.

But don't overdo it. Because that will harm them, too. I assume that most people around me are completely horrified at the thought of harming a child, but I also know that I have no idea which one is which. For every one that is a known danger, how many are unknown? We don't live in fear, but I think fixating on one known potential predator could possibly be dangerous.

I don't think it's wise or even considerate (of just about anyone) to let your kids play out front naked if you're living in the US. It doesn't really matter who is living across the street.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

ettiquit

« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »

I don't think it's wise or even considerate (of just about anyone) to let your kids play out front naked if you're living in the US. It doesn't really matter who is living across the street.

I would say it's unwise and inconsiderate because the internet exists, and anyone anywhere can take video of it and put it online.   :(

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2011, 03:51:53 PM »
Just a reminder that digital cameras make this so much easier because they don't need the middleman -- the photofinishing store -- that used to help catch these creeps in the past.