Author Topic: Limits on Personal Messages  (Read 2245 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Limits on Personal Messages
« on: September 28, 2011, 09:58:12 PM »
I was just curious as to why there is a limit of 10 personal messages per hour. Am I correct that it's to keep people from spamming? I had no idea there was a limit until tonight, when I was PMing back and forth with another eHellion while we watched the same TV show.  :)
The status is not quo!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Limits on Personal Messages
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:37:03 PM »
that would be interesting to know. I wonder if it's a bandwidth issue? If the server can't handle it if very many people start treating the PM function as an instant-messaging thing between them?

MyFamily

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 10:36:10 AM »
I'm going from memory here, but I seem to recall this was addressed before and it had to do with spamming.  The limit (and I thought it was a day long limit, so that shows my memory is not to be relied on completely) was to prevent members from spamming other members.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:44:06 AM »
Both those reasons would make sense (limits on bandwidth and the desire to prevent spamming).

I think also that a reason might be that once you contact someone by PM here, it should be possible for the two posters involved to exchange their E-mail addresses so they don't have to go through the forum.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC